Books2Movies Club discussion

Swallows And Amazons
This topic is about Swallows And Amazons
Monthly Reads > Swallows and Amazons - book and movies

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zeljka (ztook) | 2875 comments Mod
Swallows And Amazons by Arthur Ransome is one of the classic adventure stories on par with Enid Blyton, C.S. Lewis, R.L. Stevenson and E. Nesbit, yet it is not so well known. Some think this is one of the classic stories every child should have in its own library. A story about children from two families sailing, camping, fishing and exploring the lake, basically having all sorts of outdoor adventures alone -- what's not to like? Please tell us if you've read it as a child, and how you felt. It is altogether different feeling to read it as an adult than as a child full of dreams and extravagant ideas.

Adaptations are scarce, and the newest one that was done in 2016 wasn't promoted at all. At least I've never heard of it till now. Anyway, that one will be the easiest to find since it was the first adaptation after thirty-two years! There were TV adaptations made in 1963 and 1984, and one movie, in 1974. If you've seen any of them, please tell us.

message 2: by Blueberry (last edited Aug 06, 2018 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 155 comments I homeschooled my 3 children and this book was always on "should read" lists. We never did but I saw the movie last year and so wanted to read the book. I tried reading The Railway Children by E. Nesbit for a group but didn't enjoy it as much as I am enjoying Swallows and Amazons.

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 155 comments Wow, I quickly finished this book and enjoyed it very much. I have seen the movie before and liked the book much better. It was a simpler story than the movie which got convoluted with subplots.

Blueberry wrote: "Wow, I quickly finished this book and enjoyed it very much. I have seen the movie before and liked the book much better. It was a simpler story than the movie which got convoluted with subplots."

Thank you so much for your input! There is no copy of the book in my local library, so I ordered it online. Hopefully, it'll come soon. I am eager to start reading it :)

I am so glad Blueberry nominated this book. I wish I had this book when I was a kid! It should be a must-read for every child! At first, I wasn't into all that pirate stuff (I was always more into fantasy or SF), but after a while, I really started to love those beautiful, innocent and brave children, so kind and devoted to each other. I felt deeply for every hurt they went through. In the end, everything turned perfectly well though, just as it should be.

Now I'll check adaptations, probably only the newest one, but who knows.

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 155 comments Zeljka wrote: "I am so glad Blueberry nominated this book. I wish I had this book when I was a kid! It should be a must-read for every child! At first, I wasn't into all that pirate stuff (I was always more into ..."

I'm glad you were able to get it.

I found the 1974 movie, with Virginia McKenna in it. I liked it! It was a lovely movie, pretty faithful to the original story. The only odd thing was that children were so carefree and merry camping alone for so many days - no parent would allow such a thing today :)

The 2016 version of the story kind of disappointed me. I agree with Blueberry, the subplot was so unnecessary. If they thought it would enrich the movie, then they should've at least made the villains more realistic, not so cartoonish and... bored. What really shocked me though, were the antagonisms and negative vibes between adults and children themselves. So different from the book! I know times are different now (although it was set in the 1930s!), but shouldn't the movie based on such a cheerful book make me feel happier?

message 8: by Mrs (new)

Mrs Benyishai | 35 comments where did you find the 1974 film

Mrs wrote: "where did you find the 1974 film"

A friend of mine dug for me an old vhs tape :) I was on the verge of buying it on eBay. There are some pretty low priced dvds.