Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > Sept 2018 THEMED Nominations: First Contact Communications

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2320 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for THEMED category for September 2018.

THEMED books need to be currently in print on at least one platform, and fit the theme for the month. If there is no spaceship involved, then it must take place on another planet with a technological society. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series. Frequently books in this category will be those from major publishers that are no longer in print as paperback (or haven't yet made it to paperback), but Kindle Exclusive books are allowed too. It is perfectly fine to nominate a book here that would qualify for one of our other categories.

CURRENT THEME: First Contact Communication. How do you learn to talk to an alien species?

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

See this thread for suggestions:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Aug 05, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

It was a tough call choosing just one for this topic. My nomination is Hellspark by Janet Kagan Hellspark by Janet Kagan. Excellent book that I reread every one or two years. Lots of culture clashes, and there is a great machine character, bizarre planet ecology, etc. Oh and trying to talk to a native race that is driving the survey team nuts.

BTW the correct pronunciation isn’t “Hell’s Park” or “Hell Spark”, it is to alternate each of the two pronunciations. The people who colonized Hellspark were strange......

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
I second Hellspark. One of my favorite books ever.

message 4: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Nichole Defield (amelianichole) | 7 comments I've wanted to read Hellspark ever since I read Janet Kagan's excellent Star Trek book, Uhura's Song.

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Amelia, does that mean you second it?

message 6: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Nichole Defield (amelianichole) | 7 comments Teresa wrote: "Amelia, does that mean you second it?"

Yes, I second Hellspark. :) (sorry this is my first time voting)

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Hellspark by Janet Kagan Hellspark by Janet Kagan. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Betsy and Amelia.

Nominations will close on or about the 22nd.

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. Our Themed pick for September is Hellspark. Yay!!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.