Chicago Authors discussion

Introductions > Upcoming Marketing Events

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 57 comments Mod
This is where you can mention book fairs and the like,. If you have a contact person or website, please put that in. If there is a deadline, it should be included.

message 2: by Pauline (new)

The Barrington Public Library has a media fair on 9-23-18. Take a look at their website. The staff has been terrific.

message 3: by Pauline (new)

Yesterday I went to Barrington. It's a long way. The library is spectacular with gardens and flowers. They have a pick up and drop off thing at the Metra station for books.
The fair was well organized. We each had a 6' table with about 25 participants.

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 30 comments Sounds lovely--serene setting. How many books did you bring? How many did you take home?

message 5: by Pauline (new)

While book sales are a military secret, I can tell you I distributed about 60 packs of book marks and cards from several authors (including you). It was easier to hand the people a set of book marks. And a set went into each book sold.
Distributors also did table displays. Your book is seen more often if it is upright. I had a fringed table cloth and fresh flowers.
Others had computers. or displayed their books in baskets.

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 30 comments Thanks for the information. Sounds like a productive event. The tablecloth and flowers add a nice touch!

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bieniek | 18 comments The Tamale Hut Café Reading Series is monthly open mic event at the Tamale Hut Café in North Riverside. The Reading Series features one reader at each event, before the open mic time. The scheduled Featured Reader can read for up to 45 minutes, then during a break can sell their books. There is no commission on sales taken by the restaurant. I've been featured several times and, depending on the crowd size, have done quite well in terms of sales.

They are looking to schedule Featured Readers for 2019. If you are interested, the owner has written up a document with details and contact information, which can be accessed at this link.

If you want to check the place out and get an idea of how the Reading Series works, the final event of 2018 will be on Saturday, November 17, where the feature will be the winners of the annual writing contest that is sponsored by the restaurant. Details will be posted shortly on the web site.

I also facilitate a monthly Writers Group at that same restaurant, which meets the second Saturday of the month. If anyone is interested in that, we have a web site with the details and other information.

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 30 comments Matthew, thanks for the information and links to the cafe. Good to know!

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bieniek | 18 comments Just a reminder that the Tamale Hut Café Reading Series is still looking for featured readers for next year. (I'm planning to be featured in September or October.) They have January and February booked, but most of the rest of the year is still open. Check the document linked here for more details, then send Lisa an e-mail if you're interested. Her e-mail address is in the document.

message 10: by Pauline (new)

Evanston Literary Festival is May 11, 2019, showcasing Evanston residents.
Event is free and open to the public.
I invite you all to stop by
2-5 PM.
1703 Orrington, Evanston IL
Just a few blocks from the Purple Line (connected to Red Line at Howard Street) and the Metra North Line (Union Pacific North). I'd love to see you there.
I can send link with schedule to anyone who asks.