World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > The huge Apple

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13809 comments So it happened: Apple's market cap hit 1,000,000,000,000 USD:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/apple... , maybe soon to be followed by Amazon..
Kinda surprising with its share of the mobile market dropping to third place recently.
A friend of mine doubts it can stay that high for very long, as he argues Apple, unlike Google & Amazon for example, is in a very competitive market and its line of products while still better than of the others but worse than how they were in Jobs' times.. I've no idea how accurate are these observations.
But what do you think: is Apple there to stay?

message 2: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2151 comments Apple also offers services with cloud storage, so they're not strictly a hard goods company...even if their iphones and other gadgets start dropping off, they can make it up with the services.

With their latest earnings, they reported selling fewer iPhones, but because they're charging more, they made more money, so apparently they're willing to sacrifice marketshare for the higher pricepoint. If that's so, I'm not sure what that will mean for longevity. A lot of companies thrive marketing for the ultra-rich, but for a company built on getting its gadgets into everyone's hands, I'm not sure if that ultimate direction will work for them.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13809 comments J.J. wrote: "...apparently they're willing to sacrifice marketshare for the higher pricepoint.."

Read somewhere that they plan to announce in the fall 3 (if I remember correctly) new models, one being lower priced to appeal to a wider audience...

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5532 comments The phones have a high price, but there are payment plans now like the ones for cars. At some point, the average guy is going to be on a three-year payment plan just to have an iphone.