Play Book Tag discussion

Warlight
This topic is about Warlight
August 2018: Espionage > Warlight - Michael Ondaatje, 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments In this atmospheric novel, much like the main character, it's hard for the reader to know who a person is, what motivates them, and their role in the larger story. It was an expertly written story of intrigue and kept me turning pages long after I should have been asleep.

My only complaint about the book was that I felt it was about 20 pages too long. The book is broken into sections, and I felt the last section, A Walled Garden, didn't really add anything to the novel. It felt like the author wanted to tie up loose ends, everything in a neat little package. Yet, I don't think these particular loose end needed to be tied up. It would have felt more honest, more real, if we didn't know what happened to these particular characters who had long since moved on.

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for your review Sara. I’m still yet to write mine, but I had similar thoughts.

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Sara wrote: "In this atmospheric novel, much like the main character, it's hard for the reader to know who a person is, what motivates them, and their role in the larger story. It was an expertly written story ..."

Great review, but given how many are reading this book this month you might want to put that last few sentences as a spoiler.

Nicole D. | 1495 comments yep! agree.

Nicole D. | 1495 comments I don't think that's a spoiler?

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments J.W. wrote: "Sara wrote: "In this atmospheric novel, much like the main character, it's hard for the reader to know who a person is, what motivates them, and their role in the larger story. It was an expertly w..."

It doesn't really strike me a spoiler. maybe I should have phrased it better.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

All the reviews and readers on here this month has made me add this to my list. I have it on hold at the library now. Good review.