A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - Chat/Banter/Review Your September 2018 Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 198 (198 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Many thanks.

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Hooray...I get so excited whenever the new monthly threads go up.

HAPPY CIVIC HOLIDAY WEEKEND

For those who get the long weekend, what are you all doing. It's a big beach and BBQ holiday but every year our family books our two week vacation with Civic Weekend in the Middle.

My son is off to Michigan to meet his girlfriends family for the first time. I think its an awesome way to meet them. Less stressful and strict than Christmas. He is heading to Mackinaw Islands for a day and forgive me for my lack of knowledge a place called Bear or (Bare) Dunes. I'm off to google it.

My daughter and I were in Niagara Falls last week and this week we are Stay-Cationing. Relaxing at home with Netflix, Day Trips when I am well enough and days of sleeping in.

Hope everyone else is having a great summer. It always go by so fast and I agree with previous posters....it has been WAY too hot this year. We have spent most of the summer days under Severe Heat Warnings and Air Quality Advisories.

message 3: by Perri (new)

Perri @Melanie, I had to look up Civic Holiday. Every city gets to decided what to name the holiday and if they celebrate? We need a break like that in early August

@Tonya and Amy, do you ladies know how to hyperlink books? I've heard it's hard to do on a mobile phone. Loved your choices, easy ones for me!

@ Karima, Welcome! Let us know if you need help with PIFM :)

message 4: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 886 comments Sounds like fun Melanie. Good luck to your son! My son just met his GFs parents recently and it is nervewracking for boys. I am sure they will love him.

It has been really hot here too (San Diego, CA). Usually warm, but not this hot. We have had a lot of heat waves in a row. I haven't turned off my air conditioner since June! Scared to get the bill, that is for sure.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Kelly I’m not the best with this app so I don’t know how to hyperlink haha

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale I'll post my list tomorrow, I hope.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments I don’t know what a civic holiday weekend is lol

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Christine; Civic Holiday Definition

The Civic Holiday is celebrated on the first Monday of August and it's a public holiday in some provinces and territories. Many commonly call it August Long Weekend. It is called the "civic" holiday because it's the holiday that cities have authority to declare and name. In different regions the Day is named for something specific to the area. For Example in Manitoba it is named Terry Fox Day

Perri; I need to call myself out... I had to look it up too just to fact check as it’s not a holiday really associated to anything in Ontario. It’s a big BBQ and Cottage weekend.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1101 comments Christine, You selected a book for me that is not on my list.

message 10: by Perri (new)

Perri Amy wrote: "I’m not the best with this app so I don’t know how to hyperlink haha"

Amy, if you click the reply box in the upper right hand corner you will see a box you can enter the title of books. Does that make sense?

Ladies! I just finished my August Read PIFM The Hot Zone. What a scare! https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 886 comments I just added it to my list Perri.

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Great freebies Perri

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments Oh ok Melanie and Patricia i’m sorry

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments Patricia I selected a book for you that you do have on your list and thanks for telling me that

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1030 comments Christine, it looks like you've posted the names of all of my books against everyone else's names, though haven't actually voted for which of my own books that I'm to read...I'm not too sure why. In case the rules are unclear, the idea is that everyone posts a list of the books that they want to read that month and you vote for one book on each person's list that you think they should read. The book with the most votes per list is that person's winner for the month. Hopefully that makes sense and will help you to sort out voting for the books on everyone else's list and posting a vote for me too :)

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments Yes it does make sense and the reason why I did that was because some of those people didn’t have those books that you have on your list and I hope I didn’t upset you and i’m very sorry I did that

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1030 comments No Christine, of course you didn't upset me lol, it just wasn't clear what your method was. You are supposed to pick one book for each person from their own list of the books they want to read themselves.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments Well I did it right and I voted for your book and i’m glad I didn’t upset you and I hope your book wins because that’s the one that I want to read

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Sophie wrote: "Christine, it looks like you've posted the names of all of my books against everyone else's names, though haven't actually voted for which of my own books that I'm to read...I'm not too sure why. I..."

I've been telling Christine this for several months.

message 20: by Vicki Willis (last edited Aug 07, 2018 03:00PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 886 comments Thanks for the vote Christine. The way you did it in Post 18 of the SELECTION thread is great. That way everyone gets their own book choice.

message 21: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Christine, please pick one of these book for me to read.
1. Beautiful Creatures by Garcia/Stohl.
2. Silent Corner--(Jane Hawk) by Dean Koontz
3. Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder) by Linda Castillo
4. Fly Away by Kristin Hannah
5. Ink and Bone by Lisa Unger

message 22: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Perri I do not know how to hyperlink.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments I’m sorry Amber and your welcome Melanie and Tonya I picked a book for you

message 24: by Perri (new)

Perri Tonya, I don't think any of us knew when we joined GR. In the box for your comment, do you see add book/author above? When you click that there is a space to type in your book and click search. After if find the book you want, you just click add

Christine, nice job with your book selections!

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments Thanks Perri

message 26: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Perri...I don’t know why my message to you said Great Freebie....
It was meant to say Great Review.

Tonya...I received your message and am off to look at your book choices and post my vote.

Vicki.. I heard from my son yesterday. He is having a wonderful time in the states. They spent the day yesterday with a bunch of his GF’s cousins at Sleeping Bear Dunes. I looked this area up because I’ve never heard of it. Wow..it looks amazing! Who knew there are Dunes like that in Michigan? (Well truthfully...probably everyone in Michigan and the neighbouring states) however, I was unaware. Love learning new things.

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Tonya..Perry has give. You great hyperlink instructions...an added FYI...you cannot do it on the app for iPad or phone. It does work on your computer or if you sign in on your iPad through safari not the app.

message 28: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1030 comments Thanks Christine. The voting is for which book you think that person should read but if you like one of my books and can get a copy then I'd be happy to do a buddy read with you if you want provided we're ready to read at the same time

message 29: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 886 comments Melanie: I looked that place up too and it looks beautiful. I added it to my list of places I want to travel in our RV. :) We just got it about 18 months ago and are trying to get our moneys worth out of it by going to incredible places.
I am glad your son if having a great time. Have you met the girl yet? Do you like her?

message 30: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Perri, I will not be able hyperlink then all I have is my phone or tablet...

Melanie, thank you for the vote and the information on the hyperlink.

Christine thanks for the vote

message 31: by Perri (new)

Perri Tonya wrote: "Perri, I will not be able hyperlink then all I have is my phone or tablet..."

Oh well. I could hyperlink them next time if you want. I look the books up anyway :)

message 32: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Tonya wrote: "Perri I do not know how to hyperlink."

Fastest way to just copy the URL for the book. Then paste it on your thread, like I do.

message 33: by Val (new)

Val Perri wrote: "Tonya, I don't think any of us knew when we joined GR. In the box for your comment, do you see add book/author above? When you click that there is a space to type in your book and click search. Aft..."

Perri, I'm willing to bet I did it the most incorrectly of anyone, the first time! Thank you, again, for your help. :)

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments Sophie I would love to do a buddy read with you and your welcome and I like your one book called Our House and Sophie I voted for your book and I hope it wins and I got the hang of it but thanks for helping me out and when I go to a bookstore i’ll find your book so we can read it together or I can order that book off of amazon

message 35: by Perri (new)

Perri And look at your now, posting like a boss! :)

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments Your getting the hang of it Val

message 37: by Val (new)

Val Perri wrote: "And look at your now, posting like a boss! :)"

Have I mentioned how much I love your sense of humor, Perri?? :D

Christine, after the way I started, I could only go UP, lol!!!

message 38: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Perri I would really appreciate it that you would do that or even offer too. Thank you so much.

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4934 comments I agree with you Val lol

message 40: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments How do you add the names from your votes under the titles?

message 41: by Val (new)

Val Tonya wrote: "How do you add the names from your votes under the titles?"

Tonya, at the right side of your post, you'll see where it says Reply, and right below that it says Edit. Click on Edit and you can go into your post and add the names of people who have voted for your various books. Once you've added the names, click on Edit again. Hope this makes sense!

message 42: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 886 comments You can also do that to edit your post on the selection thread so all of your selections are in one post. You make one post and add to it as more people request votes.

message 43: by Perri (new)

Perri ^Like a baby bird finding her wings-fly Val, fly!^

Tonya, I'd be happy too

message 44: by Val (new)

Val Perri wrote: "^Like a baby bird finding her wings-fly Val, fly!^

Big hugs, Perri! :D

message 45: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7982 comments I voted (for whoever it was that was worried enough about my vote to DM me).

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Uhhhh, Kirsten, doesn't DM mean "DungeonMaster"?

message 47: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7982 comments LOL!!! Only for people that live in their mother's basement.

It also means direct message.

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale LOL. Gamers are no longer solely living in their parent's basements anymore. Didn't you know that? LOL.

message 49: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 540 comments ugh Kirsten! you reminded me why I avoided this book (The Art of Racing in the Rain), but someone gave me a hard copy of it so I felt the pressure to read it... I'm such a baby when it comes to animals!

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale You'd have bawled your head off in relief it you'd read Shelter Dogs. Every story was a happy ending, Dana.

« previous 1 3 4