Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Jumbled July 2/3

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments 5)Revisionary by Jim C. Hines (urban fantasy) 344 pages. Source: Library Started: 7/10 Finished: 7/14

Why Read: This is the fourth in a series about a librarian who can do magic using books, and he isn't the only one. You see, it all started in the medieval period with Johannes Gutenberg.

Comments: There's a congressional investigation of magic users, and imprisonment of magical creatures without their being guilty of anything. There are also some very contemporary political references. Parts were fun and parts were predictable. Rating B.

6)City of Inkby Elsa Hart (historical mystery) Source: Net Galley Started: 7/14 Finished: 7/20

Why Read: The publisher requested a review from me because I reviewed the first book in the series This is the third book. It takes place in 18th century Asia. I read the second book to catch up and it turned out to be excellent.

Comments: The mystery was ordinary, but there was a sub-plot that provided a very dramatic resolution. I gave it a B+. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

7)Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo (YA fantasy media tie in) 370 pages. Source: Library Started: 7/21 Finished: 7/22

Why Read: I'm a Wonder Woman fan.

Comments: Wow! Sometimes the magic process of selecting library books( instead of reading them according to due dates) really works. The young future Wonder Woman's destiny is changed by a girl who she decides to protect. A+ I had no idea that it would be this good.

8)Battle Scars by Helen Blacksmith (lesbian romance) Source: Amazon Started: 7/22 Finished: 7/24

Why Read: One MC was a traumatized war veteran and the other was a victim of abuse. It sounded intense.

Comments: It was intense, but the ending was rushed. The author told me there's a new version that deals with my criticisms, but I reviewed the book as it was when I purchased it on Amazon. Rating B-

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Shomeret: How neat that the author revised the ending to improve the book.
Shomeret wrote: " ..Comments: It was intense, but the ending was rushed. The author told me there's a new version that deals with my criticisms, but I reviewed the book as it was when I purchased it on Amazon. Rating B-
"

message 3: by Shomeret (last edited Aug 05, 2018 10:40PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments Ann wrote: "Shomeret: How neat that the author revised the ending to improve the book.
Shomeret wrote: " ..Comments: It was intense, but the ending was rushed. The author told me there's a new version that de..."

This is not that unusual in the world of self-published books. It's one of the advantages of self-publishing that authors can update the book with revised versions. If you subscribe to automatic update and you purchased the book, your copy of the book will be updated instantly once the author has uploaded it.

message 4: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Shomeret wrote: "This is not that unusual in the world of self-published books. It's one of the advantages of self-publishing that authors can update the book with revised versions"

Thanks, Shomeret. I don't have automatic update, but I'd noticed that self published books frequently have updates available. I've been wondering why and you've explained it. It's good that authors may choose to respond to suggestions or criticisms.