The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

Nominations & Polls > Resurrection Nominations '18

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) Ok Seuvians,

Seems like some of y'all want to do this. So, let's do this. Give me your nominations. What books have you been dying to share with the rest of us (because there's really no one else quite like us)?

Remember to peruse the 'read' shelf if you need a refresher on what's already been done. We'll run this a few days and then the poll a few days.

And, go!
(Feel free to discuss how we're moving forward. Do we want themes and polls every month? Bi - monthly fiction/non-fiction? Or should we do a 4 month lineup poll all at once to get us started smoothly?)

message 2: by Cheryl (last edited Aug 05, 2018 08:31AM) (new)

Cheryl (chocokitteh) | 17 comments I think the 4 month initial lineup is a great idea. I hope this works out!

The first book I would like to nominate is a short story anthology, Hieroglyph: Stories and Visions for a Better Future: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

It is a great collection of science fiction grounded in real science and technology, most of the stories are refreshingly (for scifi, anyway) positive.

message 3: by Conor (new)

Conor Murphy | 3 comments I think the 4 month lineup sounds cool as well!

I nominate Binti, but only if most folks here haven't read it yet, or I guess there's gonna be a poll later so I nominate Binti? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chocokitteh) | 17 comments I nominate Binti, but only if most folks here haven't read it yet, or I guess there's gonna be a poll later so I nominate Binti? https://www.goodrea..."

Oooh, this looks good!

message 5: by Conor (new)

Conor Murphy | 3 comments Cheryl wrote: "I nominate Binti, but only if most folks here haven't read it yet, or I guess there's gonna be a poll later so I nominate Binti? https://www.goodrea..."

Oooh, this looks good!"

It's amazing. Short read too and soooooo good.

message 6: by Chessa (new)

Chessa (chessakat) | 81 comments Murderbot! Murderbot!

Sorry I got excited. I nominate All Systems Red by Martha Wells. It’s another novella, it’s SUCH a fun read! (I’m on mobile, sorry for the lack of links)

message 7: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (superwidget) | 1 comments I recommend Asking For It by Louise O' Neil which deals with the impact of sexual assault in a very nuanced and thought-provoking way without being exploitative or gratuitous https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 8: by Kell (new)

Kell (pandorastrumnelliahanfloriana) | 7 comments I'd like to nominate three options.

1) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's Tolkien-esque, but with a poetic soul. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
2) Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
3) And, for a lighter option, Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. The first of the Witches stories in Discworld. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 9: by Mimimimimi (new)

Mimimimimi Kell wrote: "I'd like to nominate three options.

1) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's Tolkien-esque, but with a poetic soul. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1......"

I love the idea of reading Discworld, but since it's infamous for having no discernable reading order, would this be a good place to start? For those of us who are uninitiated in the series so far?

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (rubberbandit) I'll pick one fiction and one non-fiction.

For nonfiction, I nominate, The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. It is brilliant, and I have read it at least three times. Part history and part true crime. The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York

For nonfiction, I nominate Vertical Run. It is a fast paced thriller and one of the few books that actually got my adrenaline pumping.
Vertical Run

I am a huge graphic novel fan, so I might make a second post later for those. I hope this is all good as I literally singed up for goodreads five minutes ago and probably have no clue what I am doing.

message 11: by Kinou (new)

Kinou (kinoumenthe) | 2 comments I second The Murderbot Diaries. Except it's not all out, unfortunately.

message 12: by Kell (last edited Aug 07, 2018 04:34PM) (new)

Kell (pandorastrumnelliahanfloriana) | 7 comments Margarida wrote: I love the idea of reading Discworld, but since it's infamous for having no discernable reading order, would this be a good place to start? For those of us who are uninitiated in the series so far?

I think it's a great place to start. Personally, I printed out a list of everything Discworld in the order Sir Terry wrote it, and read them that way. But, it would be fine to start with the different character groups. The main character groups imo are the Lancre Witches, the Night's Watch, the Wizards, Moist (he's a group unto himself) and Death (he's definitely a group unto himself). If you want to pick a group that sounds more interesting to you, that's a great way to start. Equal Rites is the first of the Witches books. Sir Terry also wrote a phenomenal YA series about a young witch in training. One of the great things about the books is that other characters are referenced in other's stories. Death is a frequent one that pops up; you know him by the ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. It's not necessary to have read about them beforehand to know what they're up to.

message 13: by Kell (new)

Kell (pandorastrumnelliahanfloriana) | 7 comments Could I also nominate Canto Bight? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
It's a set of 4 interconnected novellas about the Star Wars world.

message 14: by Anita (last edited Aug 06, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) ok everyone, I got the poll up and it will run through the 10th, vote here

I'm allowing write-ins but please keep in mind that only the top four will make it (this is flexible depending on voter turnout). If the experiment is a success and the monster lives, we will have many more polls to come.

*if I missed any nominations, just let me know and I'll add them in.

message 15: by Bipower (new)

Bipower | 1 comments Hi, is it too late to nominate the darkest minds ?

message 16: by Andrew (last edited Aug 06, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

Andrew (rubberbandit) If it isn't too late I'd like to add Bone by Jeff Smith and Locke and Key by Joe Hill. I'm good with the choices I made if I can't though. I could keep listing books/graphic novels, but those four would be a good cross section for what I like to read.

message 17: by Cheryl (last edited Aug 06, 2018 03:37PM) (new)

Cheryl (chocokitteh) | 17 comments Andrew wrote: "If it isn't too late I'd like to add Bone by Jeff Smith and Locke and Key by Joe Hill. I'm good with the choices I made if I can't though. I could keep listing books/graphic novels, but those four ..."

Bipower wrote: "Hi, is it too late to nominate the darkest minds ?"

You can do write ins, i think.

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chocokitteh) | 17 comments Suggested by a fellow TMSer: Nevada by Imogen Binnie: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

"...darkly comedic story of Maria Griffiths, a young trans woman living in New York City and trying to stay true to her punk values while working retail."

message 19: by Eujean2 (new)

Eujean2 | 24 comments I am happy to see that this group is active again.

Since I am also doing other reading challenges, I really appreciate being able to "schedule" my reading in advance.

Am I correct on the poll that we are voting for 1 book, but we will read 4 books? Or are we just voting on the first book?

Are we going to include both books/novels & graphic novels?

So many questions! I must be excited to chat with other TMS-ers.

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) Yes to all! The top 4 books are our next 4 months of reads, give or take adjustments depending on votes. I won't push through the top 1 vote read, and I'd be happy to schedule through December if we get 5 highly voted on books.

We loooove graphic novels and comics so yes! I'll carry on the stipulation that we nominate comics by volume rather than single edition.

I'm allowing write ins but please add author name to avoid confusion

message 21: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) So now that we've got the poll going through the next question is: when do we start reading? Should we try to start the first book as an August read, or push it to a September start?

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chocokitteh) | 17 comments September maybe?

message 23: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (rubberbandit) I vote for September. College starts for me in mid August, and it usually takes a week or two for me to plan things out so that I have time to read for pleasure.

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) I'm great with a September start as well. It will give us plenty of time to get our books in order. I would just run the months in order of the poll. So, Equal Rites first up for September, sound good everyone? Yay TMS bookclub!

message 25: by Kell (new)

Kell (pandorastrumnelliahanfloriana) | 7 comments YAY Equal Rites! September is good for me, as well. I'm traveling until the 3rd, but can start right after.

message 26: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Perfect!

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chocokitteh) | 17 comments Ordered all 4 :)

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2 comments September works for me!

message 29: by Eujean2 (new)

Eujean2 | 24 comments Looking forward to this. I’m also happy that we are starting with a lighter book & a couple of novellas. We can work up the the really long book.

message 30: by Renee (new)

Renee (lilpinkerbelle) | 3 comments Yea! I'm so happy we are reading here again.

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 2 comments All right! (All rite? 🙂) I’m in!

message 32: by Kyle (new)

Kyle I’m ready! Will we be starting on Saturday?

message 33: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) Haha, yes! I was just debating on whether I should put the thread up today. It's good to know there are others just as eager to start.

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (rubberbandit) I just don't think I have the time right now. College is a lot harder then I thought it would be. That might change, but go ahead without me for now. Sorry.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chocokitteh) | 17 comments Andrew wrote: "I just don't think I have the time right now. College is a lot harder then I thought it would be. That might change, but go ahead without me for now. Sorry."

Sad, but understandable.

But I do hope it gets a bit better once you fall into a rhythm, it can be really overwhelming sometimes.

message 36: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Did we decide on the next read? Just planning ahead......

message 37: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) Yes! Next is All Systems Red by Martha Wells. So far the plan is just to read them in the order of the polls. They're also listed on the group's home page at the bottom under "upcoming reads" with dates. You can access it by tapping on "The Mary Sue Books and More Club" link at the top of this discussion on mobile.

message 38: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) October: All Systems Red by Martha Wells
November: Binti #1 by Nnedi Okorafor
December: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

message 39: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Thanks!