The Great American Read discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Old Posts 2018 > General Chat- what's going on in your world? 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
General chat about reading, travel, or anything else

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 04, 2018 10:32PM) (new)

It seems slow right now. Every time I started writing posts earlier, I got knocked off line. I think it was the universe telling me to spend some time outside. Our summers are too short here.

I saw the movie Marshall tonight about Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, early in his career. (I liked it.) In one scene the young Marshall was at a Jazz club with Langston Hughes, and in comes Zora Neale Hurston, the author Their Eyes were Watching God, which I just picked up. It reminded me of how I felt when I was reading a book about Hemingway and he was hanging out with Gertrude Stein and Picasso in Paris.

https://www.refinery29.com/2017/10/17...

message 3: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
That sounds so interesting! I wasn't even aware this was a movie. I need to see it now.

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

J. wrote: "That sounds so interesting! I wasn't even aware this was a movie. I need to see it now."

It was on cable. He was impressive, even when he was quite young.

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I have family coming into town, so I won't be around much the next few days. Please send a direct message if there are questions I need to address.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Mine arrives Thursday (hopefully, unless their flight gets sold out, in which case they try for the 19th...) Only for a few days, but I'll be getting the house ready for the visit in the next few (should be doing it now, lol, but heat is in upper 80s, and we have 75 percent humidity here on the coast).

message 7: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Texas. Due to several random car issues along the way I spent 18 hours round trip to/from PA to spend one day with them and make it back for work today.

I think I've hit the stage where my body is so tired that I'm past the point where I can just fall asleep.

message 8: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2018 09:12PM) (new)

J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Texas. Due to several random car issues along the way I spent 18 h..."

Oh, that's awful. I hope you had a nice visit though!

My sister hates to drive, especially by herself so I hope that doesn't happen to her. It's already an 8 hour drive.

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Mine arrives Thursday (hopefully, unless their flight gets sold out, in which case they try for the 19th...) Only for a few days, but I'll be getting the house ready for the visit in the next few (..."

I hope they make it. I didn't get half the stuff done I planned to in my house. My muscles ache from cleaning. I've never been able to master the idea of "a place for everything, everything in it's place."

Here is a tip for booklovers searching for a new house - the open layout concept looks great until you realize that there aren't enough walls for bookshelves. I miss the huge wall of bookshelves I had in my old house. This house is technically bigger, but it has fewer rooms, and fewer places to hide stuff.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Mine arrives Thursday (hopefully, unless their flight gets sold out, in which case they try for the 19th...) Only for a few days, but I'll be getting the hous..."
haha, another thing we have in common! My niece is not the type to sit still, and might judge, so I want to do as much as possible. Leg seems to be a bit better, still not feeling great about climbing up on step ladder to hang new finials.

Good part is that some of my books which would be appropriate for their library, as the kids get older, she'll take. I only have a few in English atm ("A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, for example :)) , but that'll get rid of a few.

Well, they fly free, so if there are paying customers, then they give up that seat. And it's her and two small ones. Thank God, at least they now live somewhere where they can get a direct flight! Since the kids are under 7, when they do this, she says "Well, we might be going to celebrate Uncle Jeremy's birthday, or we might be going to explore Atlanta." (well, that's what she said when they lived down South). That way, they're not disappointed.

I've always dreamed of a house with a library/office, and with a window seat.........

message 11: by Nyla (new)

Nyla (nylap) | 38 comments I am currently staying at my parents' house (several hours away from my own home) to take care of my mother, who just had surgery. It was an unexpected event, so I am living off of whatever I had the sense to throw in my bag before I left home. I did toss in a few books, of course, but I haven't had access to any of the GAR titles since I got here. Also haven't had as much time to read, so I guess it balances out. (I usually read 7-10 books per month, but I have only actually finished 1 book in the last 30 days!)
Mom's doing better now, so I might be headed home this week. We'll see.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) I spent Friday hanging out in LA area and it was fun...then I came down sick but meanwhile had to prep house for appraisal. Good times. So, today I'll be catching up on what all is going on around here!

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) Wow seven to 10 books a month! I read probably four a month. :)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Nyla wrote: "I am currently staying at my parents' house (several hours away from my own home) to take care of my mother, who just had surgery. It was an unexpected event, so I am living off of whatever I had t..."

Glad she's doing better; blessings upon you for taking care of her. Maybe a friend or neighbour of hers has one on the GAR list that you could borrow for the length of your stay.

message 15: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Texas. Due to several random car issues along the way I..."

I had a wonderful visit. I found out today the same friend going back to Texas got a flat on her drive yesterday. So i think we've got all the bad car juju and everyone else travelling is safe!

message 16: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

Nyla wrote: "I am currently staying at my parents' house (several hours away from my own home) to take care of my mother, who just had surgery. It was an unexpected event, so I am living off of whatever I had t..."

Holy Reading, Batman! I hope your mom is 100% sooner than later!

message 17: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2018 12:42AM) (new)

Nyla wrote: "I am currently staying at my parents' house (several hours away from my own home) to take care of my mother, who just had surgery. It was an unexpected event, so I am living off of whatever I had t..."

I hope she's doing well now. If you have a computer and wifi, you can download some of the older ebooks for free. Anything 100 years old is likely to be available for free from amazon and/or Project Guttenberg.

I had to fly whenever my mom was hospitalized so we finally convinced her to move out here with us. It was a good thing, because it quickly got more serious. I used to love reading at my mom's old place.

The other night the inner part of her metal trach tube fell out, right into the toilet, just as she was flushing. The metals ones are relatively rare, and I spent 3 hours trying to find the right one online and on the phone today. The company with the right type and size won't sell it to patients directly. So I asked her doctor to buy it for her and gave him all the details including our fedex code. I haven't heard back so I hope he did it right away. (One of his key staff members is not customer service oriented, so I hope he didn't ask her to do it. She might decide to mark it up 300%.)

message 18: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Texas. Due to several random car issues ..."

Well, I think this is happening all over. My sister's trip up here took a few hours longer than usual too. I didnt' mind too much, since it gave me more time to get everything ready.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Texas. Due to several random ..."

You all inspired me to go and get the oil change done on the car before I have to pick up my niece and the kids (since we're still not sure which airport they're coming into)!

message 20: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Texas. Due to several random ..."

Must be something in the weather! I hope Linda has better luck!

Last night I saw Lindsay Stirling in concert. Tonight I'm seeing Yo-Yo Ma!!!

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) Did you see Lindsay with Evanescence? I keep wanting to check out those tickets. I've probably waited too long.

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Texas. Due to ..."

Yo-Yo MA!!!!!! I am so JEALOUS!!!!!!

message 23: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

@bruyere no, it was just her and her dancers, a keyboard, and drums. The opening band was someone I'd never heard of.

@kirsten I've loved Yo-Yo Ma for sooooo long. I'm fangirling pretty hard.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) That sounds fabulous.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Texas. Due to ..."

haha, thanks for the wishes!
Everything turned out fine, good, because they decided to leave a day early, and that meant going to an airport 2 hours away in CT. In the end, they didn't get onto that flight, either, so we stayed overnight in a hotel in CT and I came back yesterday, while they caught the 6am flight. Yesterday I was pretty much wrecked.

The car is making a bit of a growl that it shouldn't make unless it's in sport mode, so may have it checked.

message 26: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend several hours away, but who lives in Tex..."
That was nice of you to stay over with them. Sometimes flying doesn't really save you a lot of travel time. With plane changes and wait times, it will take my husband 5 hours to get home tonight from Cincinatti. I think it took me 6-7 hours when I drove there once. I had to drive him to the airport at 4am yesterday. I stayed up all night (I'd feel worse waking up after only a few hours of sleep), and I was like a zombie all day, despite a few long naps.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I just got back from a quick, very quick trip to visit a friend who was staying with a friend s..."

They pretty much only fly stand-by these days, since they're non-revving it most of the time. I think they threw things off by guaranteeing spots with their S2s, which could throw things off for the family (three of them have 1 of their 6 S2s, and he hasn't used any), but since they roll over in March, and they haven't used any yet this year, I'm sure it'll be fine. It's what they're there for.

message 28: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

My best friend used to have stand-by flight benefits. I've driven around the tri-state area trying to get her on a plane several times! It's an adventure.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments J. wrote: "My best friend used to have stand-by flight benefits. I've driven around the tri-state area trying to get her on a plane several times! It's an adventure."

yes even more so with a 7 year old and a 4 year old. And, like anyone else, the trip home is the worst, because the thrill of the trip is over, and you just want to get home already.

message 30: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

Well, nothing new to report.

I've been working overtime the past two weeks so I've gotten behind on everything else in my life.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments I'm still in denial and pretending that I have weeks and weeks more of vacation left!

message 32: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "I'm still in denial and pretending that I have weeks and weeks more of vacation left!"

When do classes start for you? Classes started this week here.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments After Labor Day. Tourist town. Upper classmen can't get into their apartments/leases until after Labor Day.

message 34: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen My Random Chat: Looks like the heat has broken here in SW Washington state. My black cat is the coolest black cat ever. He is having a bromance with my other male cat. The two females can't stand him. Work is what it is. I don't know what a vacation is as I always have business stuff to do on my time off to California. That is all.

Those of you working in or have children going to school, have fun!!

message 35: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

Gretchen wrote: "My Random Chat: Looks like the heat has broken here in SW Washington state. My black cat is the coolest black cat ever. He is having a bromance with my other male cat. The two females can't stand h..."

I'm in retail so I'm stoked about school starting soon!

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Gretchen wrote: "My Random Chat: Looks like the heat has broken here in SW Washington state. My black cat is the coolest black cat ever. He is having a bromance with my other male cat. The two females can't stand h..."

Glad the heat's broken, wildfire season almost past, right? *crosses fingers*
The heat's in and out here. We had a positively gorgeous and beautiful weekend, and these last two days, heat wave is back. Right now, at 10pm, it's only 77 here on the coast, but we have 88% humidity. The last two days, I could tell you it was an "Ozone alert" day, because of my lungs (poor air quality, state makes all public transportation free in the hopes that people will use it and unclog the air a bit).

message 37: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I love summer nights. I pulled a big fan outside tonight to keep the mosquitoes away, so I could sit out and hang onto a little more summer while it lasts.

Enjoy the heat while it lasts. It snowed in Montana today.

I know some people dread the start of the school year but I always loved it. September always feels like the beginning of a new year.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Snow. Man...........I come from places where it snowed in October some times, but August!? That's just too much.

message 39: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Snow. Man...........I come from places where it snowed in October some times, but August!? That's just too much."

It made me think of Lonesome Dove!

message 40: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments I have a job interview in Dover, Delaware on 7 September!

Otherwise, taking care of my aging dog, cleaning house in preparation for a possible move, and reading (of course!).

I love Autumn anywhere else but South Carolina. Our temps aren't what you'd call Autumnal until January. (The first Christmas we were down here, in 1995, it was 72 degrees on Christmas day, I was wearing shorts, and had all the windows open in our trailer.)

message 41: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Parker wrote: "I have a job interview in Dover, Delaware on 7 September!

Otherwise, taking care of my aging dog, cleaning house in preparation for a possible move, and reading (of course!).

I love Autumn anywh..."

Good luck on the interview!

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Yes, good luck!

message 43: by Linda Abhors the New GR Design (last edited Aug 30, 2018 06:20AM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments My little bit of fun over the last 48......
I live in an old building, a sort of small-scale brick mansion that was partitioned into apartments years ago. I've been here about 6 years. I usually don't need air conditioning, because we're on a hill at the highest point of the city, and there aren't too many trees surrounding us. On stormy days, if the window's open, I can hear the surf, because the beach is about 4 blocks away.
My apartment gets light and air from 3 sides, which is part of the reason I took it. Fireplaces in both living room and bedroom, but both blocked up by former tenant's husband with black plastic and duct tape. (I work with her)

So I've been here about 6 years, and all years but one or two, I've had at least one bat. It's always when we get these heat waves/ hot, still nights with high humidity and no breeze. As warm as my place is, I guess it's cooler than theirs, so they come out. They replaced the windows a year or two ago, and since then, I have had only one-in February. Longer story, but short side is, I'm pretty sure we have a colony living in the walls, right in the area of the building where my place is.

Latest bit of fun: Tuesday night, I was having trouble sleeping because of the heat, flipping through news on a phone (usually Kindle helps me go back to sleep, but nothing on the Kindle atm). I dropped the phone, flicked on the light at 2.30 to get it, and see a bat flying around (13 ft high ceilings, but no, this one was not what I call a "good bat", it had to be lower to the ground).

So I call DEM, and they can't come out til the next morning. I'm on my sofa, wide awake at 3am, not dressed, and since I didn't shut the bedroom door, I've got no access to the bathroom, just the living room and kitchen. I'll say it again: thank God for all these connecting doors! I finally sleep a bit from about 6am to 8, when the guy from DEM comes out, but he can't find it. I'm able to be dressed when he comes, because I made a sports bra impulse purchase at Target Monday afternoon and some Tshirts had come in the mail Tuesday. This is where I'm gonna get sexist and say that, granted, he's tall and could probably swoop it out of the air as it flies around, but why anyone with a Y chromosome is in charge of finding tiny things, I dunno. You know, like "Honey, it's on the second shelf, behind the milk."-"I don't see it." Wash, rinse, repeat, then you go and pull whatever it is out for him from the second shelf behind the milk?

So yesterday I got to add booster shots for rabies into my day (just as well, I'd been trying to update them, anyway, but couldn't figure out where, even my doctor couldn't tell me). As it was very hot and yucky again, I was happy to hang out anywhere with air conditioning. In MA, it was a record-breaker, but I'm on the coast, we're "chahmed", so it's a bit cooler. I decided that, since I had a work "party" to go to (read: annual head-count before work begins) and then another function , I was going to treat myself for the first time in my life, to having my hair washed and blown out by someone else-no cut, no color, just let someone else do the Smoothing of the Fuzz. And enjoy their air conditioning. Then home, change, work function, wine harvest fun function with a friend and her cousin, who's visiting from Argentina and going home in a few days, then the two of us went out from there, and I'm home at 10:15.
Now, I'd left my apartment door to the hallway open that morning, so I figured maybe this thing got into the hallway and it's gone now-at least, out of my place. They can squeeze into the smallest spaces--but the litte jerks can't squeeze themselves back into those spaces to leave your apartment!
Well, nope, he's a late riser. So, instead of appearing in my living room at 9:30 and being there when I come home, he waited until 11pm. I contain it in the living room, and dash out. Left the fan running, the computer logged on, both phones and my purse. At least this time I can sleep in my bed, and I have access to the bathroom. Say it with me "Thank God for all of these connecting doors!" (one in living room, one seemingly superluous one in the middle of the hallway, one each on bathroom and bedroom).

Since it was in my bedroom, DEM will handle it, in fact, county health requires it. So this morning, after chewing on me to chew on the landlords about calling pest control, they send the guy out. Same guy. He's having trouble finding it. Again. I get brave and stick my head in through the door, because today, this man is. Going. To. Leave. With. A. Bat. In. His. Hand! He finally found it.........I have an iron trivet that measures about 6x6 hanging on the wall near the door, and my keys hang from it. The little sucker was hiding behind it! I told the guy maybe I should name it Houdini and keep it as a pet.
Anyway, thanks for letting me grumble about why I'm sleepy and cranky.

message 44: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "I love summer nights. I pulled a big fan outside tonight to keep the mosquitoes away, so I could sit out and hang onto a little more summer while it lasts.

Enjoy the heat while it lasts. It snow..."

Fall is my favorite. September is my favorite. It starts to get cozy without being cold. I usually feel like it's the start of something new. Coincidentally, the Jewish New Year usually falls in September, sometimes early October.

message 45: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "My little bit of fun over the last 48......
I live in an old building, a sort of small-scale brick mansion that was partitioned into apartments years ago. I've been here about 6 years. I usually do..."

That's a whole ordeal! And it's especially frustrating that it took so long to get fixed. I hate being treated like I don't know what the problem in my house is just because a man doesn't recognize it.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Oh, it's probably never going to be fixed, until they call an exterminator and/or board up these fireplaces. DEM has been here once before and twice with this one (because they have to, if it's been in your bedroom), and they've about reached their limit. Yeah, I"m grumpy that I had to lose another night's good sleep on top of two hours of sleep the night before and a long day, because he couldn't find it. But then, when he told me where it was (I mean, this thing is 6x6 inches, and it had hidden itself behind it, I had to cut him a bit of slack.

message 47: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "My little bit of fun over the last 48......
I live in an old building, a sort of small-scale brick mansion that was partitioned into apartments years ago. I've been here about 6 years. I usually do..."

OMG that would freak me out. I would have found a hat, or wrapped a towel on my head, even though they rarely run into people. If it did swoop really low, I would worry that its' sonar (or whatever) is broken and it's sick. Hmm I don't know if I ever got a rabies shot. Do most people? (That reminds me. I need to get a Shingles shot. That's more common and very painful.)

I think we have bats in the eaves above the front door, though I can't imagine how they get in there. I keep seeing little droppings by the front door, and the other night we were watching them fly around at dusk catching mosquitoes. I've grown to accept the bats as long as they're outside, because I hate mosquitoes more.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "My little bit of fun over the last 48......
I live in an old building, a sort of small-scale brick mansion that was partitioned into apartments years ago. I'v..."

Yes, then you have them.....or they're using that spot as what is called a "night roost", just to take breaks. If you put up houses in your yard, they'll use them. You should have someone take a look at the eaves, and make sure that they're just taking breaks there, and not trying to move into your attic. Seriously. Once they're in a place, they'll keep coming back to it.
Yeah, maybe it was because I had the fan on, and it was messing with his currents, but he was swooping too much for my sake. When they stay up high, I can get a window open, turn off the lights, leave the room and shut the door, and they'll show themselves out. But not when my shots aren't up to date. A couple of years ago, someone at the end of the block caught one inside in the daytime and it was rabid. The odds that that colony and my colony have had interaction aren't low.

I keep my rabies and tetanus up to date (well, try to, but the rabies is sometimes hard to find) just because I travel a lot to countries where there are lots of street dogs. The only attacks I've heard of seem to be around here, and it's almost always a fox. There was that grandmother in GA, I think she's my new hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwpHS...

message 49: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 30, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "My little bit of fun over the last 48....
I live in an old building, a sort of small-scale brick mansion that was partitioned into apartments..."

That's a funny clip. He keeps repeating himself, but the story keeps getting better. (But then it's followed by a bunch of Trump jokes. Somehow, that reminded me to get a new passport application, and refill my BP medicine.)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "My little bit of fun over the last 48....
I live in an old building, a sort of small-scale brick mansion..."

bahahaha! MIne is almost always up to date, and thank God, no prescription meds yet!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.