Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's Jul-2018 Books read

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments I had a good month of reading in July and August is starting out well.
I finished a cozy trilogy; explored Alaska in the 1970's and flying in the early years and I traveled the world with a writer fleeing from the wedding of a former partner.
I think Less was the most unexpected book but Lillian Boxfish blew me away with her advertising career in NYC from the 1920's to 1985. That one really grabbed me and plopped me right back on the streets of NYC as she walks and reminisces and shows how someone who is open to it can find a friend anywhere.
Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong—and the New Research That's Rewriting the Story
A Potion to Die For
The Lost Pilots: The Spectacular Rise and Scandalous Fall of Aviation's Golden Couple
Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
The House That Pinterest Built
The Wild Dead
One Potion in the Grave
The Great Alone
Less
Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo"
Ghost of a Potion

Saini, Angela Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong and the New Research That's Rewriting the Story Overdrive audio Finished 7/7/2018 Rank 9 of 10 Interesting ideas, several different perspectives.

Blake, Heather A Potion to Die For (A Magic Potion Mystery, #1) Overdrive audio Finished 7/8/2018 Rank 9 of 10
Another light fun series from Ms. Blake in small town Hitching Post, Alabama with magical potions and fun characters.

Mead, Corey The Lost Pilots: The Spectacular Rise and Scandalous Fall of Aviation's Golden Couple Overdrive audio Finished 7/10/2018 Rank 9 of 10 Fascinating times and some very determined explorers

Rooney, Kathleen Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk Overdrive audio Finished 7/15/2018 Rank 9.85 of 10
I loved this book; drawn into Lillian's story, a fascinating career advertising woman who sets out on a walk to dinner and the New Year's Eve party of a casual acquaintance. Her path through the New York City streets in the waning hours of 1984 spans ten miles and six decades while Lillian, who has a knack of connecting to the people she encounters goes further and reveals her past loves, losses and poetry. I had the opportunity to walk some of those same streets with friends in the mid 80's and this late night journey with Lillian was deeply moving.

Keaton, Diane The House That Pinterest Built Hardback Read 7/21/2018 Coffee table size (this is a hefty book!) Beautiful though rather stark photos, a minimalist house design and minimal text, but an interesting journey and a story of a determined woman building a dream house. This took me about 30 minutes to read it, mostly photos and not as in depth as expected of the interior. A friend was able to see Diane Keaton at a signing event - that would have been a treat.

Vaughn, Carrie The Wild Dead (The Bannerless Saga #2) Overdrive audio Finished 7/21/2018 Rank 9.35 of 10
Book two, a post apocalyptic future and a strong female lead. Enid is curious, determined and perhaps a bit reckless in the pursuit of the truth as she seeks answers among the Wild folk who don't fit into the strictly ruled society formed after the great fall. Great group read discussion books,

Blake, Heather One Potion in the Grave (A Magic Potion Mystery, #2) Overdrive audio Finished 7/22/2018 Rank 9 of 10
I really like this series, while it has the prerequisite small shops in a picturesque town and quirky characters there is a depth to their relationships and an undercurrent of possibilities that is refreshing.

Hannah, Kristin The Great Alone Overdrive audio Finished 7/28/2018 Rank 9 of 10
Alaska is a stark place and not a place to live if you are not prepared. In the 1970's a family moves there to start over again and to scratch the wanderlust itch of the father, a Vietnam vet with PTSD. The story of their bid for survival was hard to put down.

Greer, Andrew Sean Less Overdrive audio Finished 7/29/2018 Rank 9.5 of 10
I didn't know what to expect and it was unexpected; a jaunt around the world by a writer on a mission to escape an uncomfortable experience yet it is a journey through life and loves with humor of the self-depreciating kind and with courage (if you are afraid of everything then no fear is worse than another) and yes, with hope too. The bespoke tailored suit travels very well.

Hurston, Zora NealeBarracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo" Overdrive audio Finished 7/29/2018 Rank 9 of 10
Very moving and well narrated. A rare first person account; we are lucky the author took the time to gather these conversations with a man who saw much in his life on two continents and tell this side of the story of slavery in both Africa and America.

Blake, Heather Ghost of a Potion (A Magic Potion Mystery, #3) Overdrive audio Finished 7/31/2018 Rank 9.25 of 10
This third book was a delight to read, love the growth and development of the characters and the light paranormal theme at Halloween. Too bad it seems to have been the last book.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Great month, Ann! I keep hoping we may someday get another Magic Potion book. She has a new book coming out in the Wishcraft series next week!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Ann

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments Maybe science got all of us wrong.

message 5: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "Keaton, Diane The House That Pinterest Built"

Ann, does Diane Keaton have any books in her house?

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Jan: As a matter of fact Yes! There was an actual library, and it was impressive! She talked about a space that was stumping them to furnish and then they realized it was perfect for books. It was off the living area.
OMalleycat wrote: "Ann wrote: "Keaton, Diane The House That Pinterest Built"

Ann, does Diane Keaton have any books in her house?"

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Melodie- Thanks! I'm one behind on the Wishcraft books so am eager to get to both of them!
Melodie wrote: "Great month, Ann! I keep hoping we may someday get another Magic Potion book. She has a new book coming out in the Wishcraft series next week!"

message 8: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments I asked if Diane Keaton had any books in her house and Ann wrote: "As a matter of fact Yes! There was an actual library, and it was impressive! She talked about a space that was stumping them to furnish and then they realized it was perfect for books. "

That's great, Ann. So often in those very, very designed homes, the books disappear because they don't fit the look. I had the impression Keaton is a reader. I read her Then Again. Perhaps she talked about reading.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Jan: I loved Keaton's Then Again! I read it six years ago, so don't recall specifics about books but it was very moving.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments Wow! Great month Ann! I feel the same about the Heather Blake books. I really enjoyed that series.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Very interesting month, Ann. Quite a mix of books this month.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Carol: I've been trying to mix in different types of books. The more readily available digital audio book selection at the library has helped and books suggestions from podcasts. I have you to thank for my podcast addiction!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Very interesting month, Ann. Quite a mix of books this month."

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Susie: I find I've been reading a few more cozies lately. Luckily I've got some great recommendations from both you and Melodie that I am considering.
Susie wrote: "Wow! Great month Ann! I feel the same about the Heather Blake books. I really enjoyed that series."

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: I've been trying to mix in different types of books. The more readily available digital audio book selection at the library has helped and books suggestions from podcasts. I have you to than..."

Happy to share my podcast addiction with you!

I picked up a couple of audios at the library yesterday while renewing my card. They were just lying there calling out to me. Strange Weather by Joe Hill (4 short stories or novellas) and Leaving Everything Most Loved byJacqueline Winspear, which I have been meaning to to read -- way behind on Maisie Dobbs.

I am now on hold with Audible trying to get the credit restored that I forgot to spend because I'm over the limit and was supposed to get a new one today.

message 15: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote "Happy to share my podcast addiction with you!"

My podcast addiction runs to acquiring them, but only rarely listening, especially now that I'm not at school. I used to listen while I was doing paperwork. Several I subscribe to have stopped automatically downloading because I'm so far behind.

So I hardly dare ask: from what podcasts do you get book suggestions?

Jan O'Cat, knows this information can only lead to more bad behavior

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Jan O’CuriousCat:
I’ll have to put a podcast list together (ever helpful enabler that I am) - but in general I’ve found most of my recommendations from interview podcasts where the guest often has a book out on the same subject. Last month one of the books was the Japanese Forest Bathing book, this month the Lost Pilots book and previously I learned of Killers of the Flower Moon on a podcast. Now if my brain could only connect the podcasts to each book.... lol

message 17: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments Ann wrote: "Jan O’CuriousCat:
I’ll have to put a podcast list together (ever helpful enabler that I am) - but in general I’ve found most of my recommendations from interview podcasts where the guest often has ..."

I reviewed The Lost Pilots book, so I thought you had discovered it through me. But you might have heard the podcast first.

message 18: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "I'll have to put a podcast list together (ever helpful enabler that I am) - but in general I’ve found most of my recommendations from interview podcasts where the guest often has a book out on the same subject."

Ah, don't go to any trouble, Ann. If that's what you're listening to, I probably hear much the same on various programs on NPR. I was imagining something like that super-librarian (is her name Maureen Corrigan?) who reviews books on Fresh Air. If she had a 15 minute podcast once a week or so, I'd listen to it gladly. I don't always agree with her, but she has a definite point of view and I feel like I really know whether or not I'll like a book after I've listened to her.

Of course, since I subscribe to the podcast of Fresh Air, I could just listen to her on that. :-)

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Shomeret: I have a hard time remembering where I have heard of a book! Your reviews have led me to many books I wouldn’t find otherwise. It helps to pinpoint the ones I’ll have time for. The podcast might have been first, but your monthly list would have solidified the selection (along with the availability st the library and my current line-up. The Lost Pilots: The Spectacular Rise and Scandalous Fall of Aviation's Golden Couple was fascinating by the way.
Shomeret wrote: "Ann wrote: "Jan O’CuriousCat:
I’ll have to put a podcast list together (ever helpful enabler that I am) - but in general I’ve found most of my recommendations from interview podcasts where the gues..."

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Jan O’Cat: Not book reviews, but have you tried the podcast “Levar Burton Reads”? I love listening to him read short works. I do imagine we already listen to many of the same NPR related podcasts; I do listen the book review podcasts from the New York Times and The New Yorker.
OMalleycat wrote: "I was imagining something like that super-librarian (is her name Maureen Corrigan?) who reviews books on Fresh Air. If she had a 15 minute podcast once a week or so, I'd listen to it gladly
"

message 21: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann replied to Shomeret: "Your reviews have led me to many books I wouldn’t find otherwise. "

Ditto from me, Shomeret. You read a wide variety of books, give a lot of detail in your reviews, and have a definite point of view also. You often tweak my interest when you post your monthly reads.

message 22: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "Jan O’Cat: Not book reviews, but have you tried the podcast “Levar Burton Reads”? I love listening to him read short works."

Love Levar Burton since StarTrek TNG and Reading Rainbow! I remember hearing about this podcast but never followed up. I'll have to look for it!

message 23: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Ann wrote: "Jan O’Cat: Not book reviews, but have you tried the podcast “Levar Burton Reads”? I love listening to him read short works."

Love Levar Burton since StarTrek TNG and Reading Rainbow! I..."

Great, just what I don't need.. another podcast!

Like the both of you the book recommendations I get are through shows like Fresh Air. Lord keep me away from book review podcasts, my TBR's are teetering as it is!

message 24: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 202 comments I read Lillian Boxfish earlier this year and it blew me away also! I just started The Wild Dead and am totally hooked! The Great Alone is going to be one of the Group Reads for the SRC Fall Challenge so I am looking forward to that!

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Ceelee: I look forward to hearing how you liked The Wild Dead.
Ceelee wrote: "I read Lillian Boxfish earlier this year and it blew me away also! I just started The Wild Dead and am totally hooked! The Great Alone is going to be one of the Group Reads for the SRC Fall Challen..."

message 26: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ceelee, You don't need to worry about it, but I've got something to add to your freaky computer/posting woes. Your posts don't kick the little red (new) into the topics list for me. I only see they're there when someone else replies. I kept thinking that I'd somehow overlooked your posts, but now it's happened so often I've realized what's going on.

But really, no worries. Everyone just has to promise to reply to your posts so I'll know where they are. ;-)

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Now I had a new topic double post too. Strange!