Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > july 2018 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1201 comments I had a nicely consistent month with no clunkers in the bunch.

Here are my July reads:

Top Read

A Perfect Spy by John le Carré A Perfect Spy
John le Carré
Very much a novel about father and son relationships along with the author's always believable take on the British Intelligence system during the Cold War. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by the excellent Michael Jayston.

Good Reads

Say You're Sorry by Michael Robotham Say You're Sorry
Michael Robotham
Not one of my favorite type plots, but I love the characters in this series and the ending was tense and well done. Listened to the audio version which was read by Seán Barrett who is always superb.

Knockdown by Dick Francis Knockdown
Dick Francis
Former jockey turned bloodstock agent Jonah Dereham finds out being honest in business can be dangerous to your health. This book kept to the author's usual formula of horse racing, a solid hero, a bit of romance, some suspenseful action scenes, and was a quick, fun read.

All the Pieces Matter The Inside Story of The Wire by Jonathan Abrams All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire
Jonathan Abrams
An oral history of the television show which I found enjoyable. The Wire was one of my favorite shows on television mainly because the writing staff consisted of some of my favorites like David Simon, George Pelecanos, Richard Price, and Dennis Lehane all of whom participated in this book.

Earthly Possessions by Anne Tyler Earthly Possessions
Anne Tyler
A pretty good book published back in 1977 before the author's more famous and award winning novels. I enjoyed the quirky characters and the family's unusual circumstances.

Thursday Night Widows by Claudia Piñeiro Thursday Night Widows
Claudia Piñeiro
Though classified as a crime novel, this was really more of a look at the domestic situation of the working rich in a gated community in Argentina during the late nineties and early 2000s. A bit different but interesting.

Cradle to Grave by Aline Templeton Cradle to Grave
Aline Templeton
Another entertaining entry in this police procedural series set in rural Scotland. Lots of tension and suspense and I always enjoy Big Marge and her team.

The Wild Dead (The Bannerless Saga #2) by Carrie Vaughn The Wild Dead
Carrie Vaughn
An enjoyable followup to Bannerless. I like the main character and the world in which she resides and the mystery plot was adequate. Listened to the audio version which was ably read by Alyssa Bresnahan.

Sadie When She Died (An 87th Precinct Novel) by Ed McBain Sadie When She Died
Ed McBain
Steve Carella and Bert Kling catch a murder case that seems cut and dried during the run up to Christmas. An enjoyable quick read with pretty twisted plot.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Nice list Sandi!
All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire Looks good; I have regretted not watching The Wire when it was first on TV. Someday!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments I hope Carrie Vaughn may continue writing about the world of Bannerless and The Wild Dead. I've enjoyed reading them both and discussing as group read books.

message 4: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "Nice list Sandi!
All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire Looks good; I have regretted not watching The Wire when it was first on TV. Someday!"

Hah, I came here to post a thanks to Sandi for reminding me I want to finally commit to watching The Wire. I found that it's included on Amazon Prime. Woohoo! Thanks for the memory nudge, Sandi. Maybe I'll readAll the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire after I've watched the series. And, Ann, are you a Prime member?

Jan O'Cat, who may not ever leave the house again what with all the book recs, the Determination List, the Prime Watchlist, and I rejoined Audible today. Retirement, it's just so much pressure!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Jan O'YouAreTemptingMe Cat: I am a Prime member, and that is good news about the availability of the Wire!
Thanks.... I think ... (probably bad news too as I am not retired so the pressure is real on both sides) who needs sleep... :)

OMalleycat wrote: "I want to finally commit to watching The Wire. I found that it's included on Amazon Prime. Woohoo!
...Jan O'Cat, who may not ever leave the house again what with all the book recs, the Determination List, the Prime Watchlist, and I rejoined Audible today. Retirement, it's just so much pressure! ."

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Good month, Sandi! I also never saw The Wire when it was originally on. Will have to check it out on Prime!

message 7: by Karly (new)

Karly | 314 comments All the Pieces Matter sounds really interesting! I thought The Wire was incredibly well done. I love reading and watching any supplementary shows or books to a series I find enjoyable- always adds additional layers to explore to the main content.

Jan/Ann- feeling similarly these days! So much content to watch and my TBR piles are overflowing, I don’t know where to start! Lol, and yet I have a plan today to head to the bookstore... It’s an addiction!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Karly: I've always heard that too about The Wire. It is an addiction!
Karly wrote: "All the Pieces Matter sounds really interesting! I thought The Wire was incredibly well done. I love reading and watching any supplementary shows or books to a series I find enjoyable-.
Jan/Ann- feeling similarly these days! So much content to watch and my TBR piles are overflowing, I don’t know where to start! Lol, and yet I have a plan today to head to the bookstore... It’s an addiction!

.."

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7914 comments I'll add my voice to those thanking you for the reminder about The Wire -- and the book about The Wire. I have it on my list but think I'll enjoy it more after I finish the series, so back to it I go. Funny, I was just looking at it in the library today but am trying to finish a couple of movies I have so left it there. Good to know it's on Amazon Prime as I too am a member.

message 10: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments My niece loves The Wire! I will have to tell her about this book! I have always loved Ann Tyler and keep finding early books of hers I missed! The AlineTempletin book sounds good too.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Ceelee- good point about Ann Tyler's early books! I should look for some of those at the used bookstore.
Ceelee wrote: "My niece loves The Wire! I will have to tell her about this book! I have always loved Ann Tyler and keep finding early books of hers I missed! The AlineTempletin book sounds good too."