What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Romance: King choosing a bride. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle | 3 comments Don't remember the character's names, I read the book before 2015, I believe it's an adult romance, but might be YA.

The king needs to get married, so he invites 4 princesses/noble women to the castle to pick his queen. There's also magic in the story, the main heroine has the ability to turn things into ice/crystal and she can't control it very well.

Spoilers below!

He goes to deliver the invitation to one, but the girl doesn't want to go. The king is incognito and pretending to be a guard when the girl's father makes her leave with them. They fall in love as they travel back to his castle, but he doesn't tell her he's actually the king because he's worried she'll react badly. They have a 'commoner's wedding' which is just taking vows and consummating the vows (pretty sure it's an adult romance), and he still doesn't tell her he's the king.

Once they get to the castle, they live in a nearby village. The king is still pretending to be a guard as he tries to figure out how to tell his wife/love that he's the king.

The other girls that were invited start disappearing, one dead, one missing (fell in love with a guard and he keeps her safe, but they are in hiding). The king starts to get worried that someone is taking out the potential queens, so he moves his wife into the castle. She questions how they can afford to live in the castle on a guard's salary, but he tells her he's the king's favorite.

Once in the castle, she eventually befriends the king's mistresses. He's stopped seeing them since he decided he needed to pick a queen, but they still live in the castle. Eventually, they reveal his true identity as a king and not just a common guard. His wife reacts badly and releases a blast of her magic unintentionally. The book ends with a HEA, but I don't remember too many other details.

I've been looking for this book for a few months, and can't seem to get any leads with google searches or goodreads lists, so all suggestions are appreciated!

message 2: by Shelia (new)

Shelia Williams | 750 comments Sounds interesting hope you find it.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Elle, are you still looking for this or did you find it?