What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/A fantasy: alien planet with warships that sail on sand

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (last edited Aug 06, 2018 07:31PM) (new)

Dave Rushton | 7 comments - read it about 2005;
- remember one scene where whole communities lived on gigantic sailing ships that sailed on seas of sand
- I think the sailing ships were also war ships that fought each other
- I think there were also scenes of a community of tents, also in the sand deserts, and I remember prisoners being forced to perform or fight in an arena, for punishment and maybe as entertainment for the people.

message 2: by L J (new)

L J Any idea if it was a new book or an older book?

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Rushton | 7 comments I would guess newer but not sure

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (swynn68) | 76 comments Probably not, since it's not YA and the setting is a far-future Australia rather than an alien planet, but I'll mention Terry Dowling's Rynosseros series, starting with Rynosseros

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Some of the John Carter of Mars books have ships that sail the sand seas of Mars. I don't remember which ones (hey, it's been decades) but thought I'd throw that out there. A Princess of Mars is the first book in the series.

Also, I think that in one of the short story collections of Robert A. Heinlein there is a story about (again) sailing the sand seas of Mars. But that one I remember even less of than the previous suggestion.

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave Rushton | 7 comments Stephen wrote: "Probably not, since it's not YA and the setting is a far-future Australia rather than an alien planet, but I'll mention Terry Dowling's Rynosseros series, starting with Rynosseros"

Interesting and thanks for the suggestion but it's not the book I am trying to track. This was definitely not a future setting. The sand ships in this story were large but basic structures that ran on wheels - the technology was pre-steam. And I think it occurred on another planet, not Earth

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 11 comments Sand ships at war makes me think of The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay.

message 8: by Cat (new)

Cat  | 132 comments Long shot but maybe Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

message 9: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1225 comments Arrgh, I know I've read a book with sand ships in the past few years. Of course, I can't remember what. I'll be looking through my lists and hope something pops into my mind.

message 10: by Lori (last edited Aug 12, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Lori | 73 comments The Wind on Fire trilogy has giant ships which are cities with whole communities living in them which sail around the desert. They are used by two tribes who fight each other whenever they meet with both the ships and smaller vessels. In the 2nd book there is a large convoy travelling through the desert who use tents and the community they are travelling to has gladitorial fights.

It's YA/fantasy/dystopia and was published 2000-2001.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/5248...

message 11: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1225 comments Lori wrote: "The Wind on Fire trilogy has giant ships which are cities with whole communities living in them which sail around the desert. They are used by two tribes who fight each other whenever they meet wit..."

The Wind Singer is the book I was thinking of. Thanks, Lori.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Dave, are you still looking for this or did you find it?