THE Group for Authors! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Discussion > Giveaways change

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael D'Agostino | 10 comments I would suggest using read and review services. There are several out there and you'll get reviews posted on Amazon and at less cost than Goodreads. The GR giveaway is totally non-competitive and works better only to publicize a book but not much more. Choose one that meets Amazon review policy.

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven (goodreadscomstevenkerry) | 138 comments Unfortunately what I found when I did a giveaway was that the few reviews I got were from people who apparently seek free books in every manner possible. They are like the literary equivalent of stamp collectors. It's a bizarre hobby for some people I guess. It is logical to assume one may get exposure and reviews in this manner, but I would love to see a survey of what the results were for a good number of authors who actually gave books away for free. I have a feeling it is not as great a promotional tool as touted in most cases. (There will always be someone who says "It worked for me and my book!" of course).. My feelings about this means of promotion are decidedly mixed.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven (goodreadscomstevenkerry) | 138 comments I got a glowing review; then when I looked at the person's history it was apparent that this person has gotten other free books from publishers in exchange for a review as well as trying to win free books on goodreads. That diminished the glow of the review, which lavished so much praise you would've thought my book was "Anna Karenina". The others who won copies of my book never even posted reviews. The free giveaway thing was pretty much "bust" and disappointing, but I realize it has worked well for other authors. Perhaps my books may have been too "controversial" for the winners, as they do include some graphic material although they are hardly scandalous by today's standards.

message 4: by Kathleen (last edited Aug 04, 2018 03:41PM) (new)

Kathleen Martin | 33 comments Thank you, Stephen, for your excellent suggestions to change the Giveaway program to make it mutually beneficial to both writers and readers. Although I have received some good (and bad) reviews from readers who won my giveaways, I would estimate a good 80 percent of them did not respond in any way. I guess this benefits Goodreads' profit margin, but it does little to benefit the writer.

message 5: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fried | 17 comments I wasn't expecting much when I participated in a giveaway several months ago, and that's a good thing. I gave away forty books (it's a humorous memoir, it's good, with blurbs from some well-known writers, etc.) and the effect has been zero. I didn't do an exhaustive check, but I looked at the profiles of about half the winners and there was not a single mention or review of the book, and almost all of them were into genres that had nothing to do with humor or memoir. Nor have my sales on amazon budged a bit. It's like the whole thing never happened. I could not recommend these giveaways to anyone, unless they were longshot bettors!

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 20 comments And this is why I decided to avoid giveaways altogether and go for reduced price (but not free) promotions instead.

In the past, I used Goodreads (and other) giveaways and got a reasonable handful of reviews, but Goodreads has IMO priced Indie authors out of the game. Also, as other commenters here mention, there now seems to be a lot of people collecting freebies with no intention of reading, let alone reviewing. There are various "read to review" groups on GR, but my experience recently has been that people collect their freebie and then disappear into the sunset.

At least with a 99cent promotion people have to lay out a bit of money, so that instantly weeds out the vast majority of people simply collecting free stuff. It's not a very high bar, but it's enough to ensure that people who take it up are at least moderately interested.

message 7: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

It should be noted that Goodreads does not require winners to post reviews. The primary goal of running a giveaway is to build awareness for your book, while reviews are a potential bonus. We do make clear to giveaway entrants that reviews are highly appreciated by sponsors, and we send a follow-up email to winners encouraging them to review the books they win. It might also help to keep in mind that not every book is a good fit for every reader.

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Martin | 33 comments Thank you, again. Stephan. You are an advocate for all writers on here. With all due respect to GR, without writers, there would be no Good Reads.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael D'Agostino | 10 comments And that's the problem: Without the interest of writers, GR will soon become irrelevant. It does appear that they decided to
drop indie authors in favor of NY publishers.

message 10: by Faith (new)

Faith Stephan wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

It should be noted that Goodreads does not require winners to post r..."

You are asking GR to violate the law. Years ago they used to use a method of selecting winners that gave special weight to people who had previously reviewed books they had won. They used other weighting factors too. GR had to stop this and now uses random selection, with no vetting of entrants. Nothing is forcing you to use the giveaway program. As Jaclyn pointed out, the program is a way of advertising your book to all of the people who look at the listings, whether or not they actually enter. Many members no longer enter because they refuse to have the books forced on to their shelves, they don't want to link their kindle and GR accounts or for other reasons. If a giveaway doesn't result in increased sales of your book, don't blame GR or the giveaway program. If you placed a newspaper ad would you blame the paper if no one buys the product? If you want to be able to control who gets your books, try Netgalley.

message 11: by Betsy (last edited Aug 05, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Betsy Robinson (betsy_robinson) Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

It should be noted that Goodreads does not require winners to post reviews. The pri..."

I second the good suggestions of other writers here. And re your comment that not every book is a good fit for the recipients of free books--YES! So why on earth is there not a way to filter a giveaway for affinity? Please add this suggestion to the ones you convey to GR staff. I've been asking for this literally for years. Without having the suggested benefits for writers, I see absolutely no benefit to giveaways unless they are being done by one of the Big 5 publishers who can afford to give away 100 books and add this bit of exposure to a much larger campaign. In my opinion, the giveaway system preys on the ignorance of a lot of inexperienced writers and simply pumps money from them. I believe GR knows better than the people they are manipulating with false hope.

message 12: by Faith (new)

Faith Stephan wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

What is the incentive for readers to enter into the premier giveaway? What is the incentive for GR to set up a new giveaway? Do they charge more? How does GR get around the law that says they can't require a review? Why can't you just use the many read for review groups already on GR?

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Martin | 33 comments Faith wrote: "Stephan wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

It should be noted that Goodreads does not require w..."

I would be very curious about where this "law" is stated and under what code? I know for certain that some contests require the winner to answer a skill-testing question, isn't asking for a review somewhat similar?

message 14: by Faith (new)

Faith Kathleen wrote: "Faith wrote: "Stephan wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

It should be noted that Goodreads does..."

You can search under the GR feedback group for the threads generated when GR changed its giveaway policy.

message 15: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 306 comments I think that some people who enter giveaways and receive physical books turn around and sell them. I paid for a few "read for review" services and personally given away eBooks to those who said they'd do a review with poor results. I also tried Voracious Readers Only. At least they're free. They give your eBook away to 20 readers who agree to do a review and be added to your email list. I only got one or two reviews for each book (I tried 3) but at least I built up my email list which I couldn't get going before. It also may be good for first in series because maybe some will buy the next book(s). Otherwise, I just don't know what you have to do to get reviews. Nothing seems to work.

message 16: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 84 comments Kathleen wrote: "Faith wrote: "Stephan wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

It should be noted that Goodreads does..."

Take a look at the Goodreads giveaways T&C’s. GR runs these as sweepstakes, which have a very specific definition under US law, under which one of the primary rules is there can be NO consideration in exchange for entering a sweepstakes. In this case a review would be a consideration. For whatever reason, which is their business, Goodreads made a conscious choice to switch to the sweepstakes mode several years ago. It’s a legally clean and transparent way to run an operation and I can’t imagine any amount of Indie foot stomping is going to change their practices.

message 17: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments Stephan wrote: "...2- Some members clearly enter the Giveaways program only for the sake of winning a book... "

You don't seem to understand the basic purpose of giveaways. They are NOT a vehicle to gain reviews for your book. They are a competition and a fun way to raise awareness of a book. I've run several over the years and they are a great social boost. I've never expected a review, that's not the point. Winners don't even have to read the book if its not to their taste, again its simply a competition.

If you want reviews, list your book on NetGalley which is a site specifically for giving out copies to reviewers, trad publishers use it all the time.

I'm not even going to touch your comment about getting the respect you deserve. Yikes...

message 18: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 306 comments Giveaways are to raise awareness of books and authors. I think when GR ran them for free (for authors), it leveled the playing field for indies and trads. Now it seems just another way to suck money out of indie authors who are struggling to begin with. It would be nice to get something in return like a review or sign up to your email list but readers know they don't have to and many take advantage and don't even read the books. So let's focus on what we can do that gives us a return for our efforts. Is anybody doing anything that works?

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Martin | 33 comments Miss M wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Faith wrote: "Stephan wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

It should be noted th..."

None of us will ever know the "conscious choice" GR made on how to conduct their Giveaways program. But I believe, it had more to do with attracting people to their site, rather than supporting "indie" writers - it does not generate sales or anything else that supports their work. GR has every right to run the Giveaway program in a way that will generate more profit for them, and readers have every right not to submit a review (or even read the book) and I have every right to say that the current GR giveaway program does nothing to support the writers of all these giveaway books. PS. I have never made it a practice to "stomp" my feet about anything. I'll stick with writing out my opinions.
Miss M wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Faith wrote: "Stephan wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

It should be noted th..."

message 20: by Caven (new)

Caven Tootell | 24 comments Agree with pretty much everything authors have posted above. In my case - 100 ebooks distributed and 1 review. Readily understand this could be because my book is not good enough, but, see extremely low numbers of 'winners' who actually added my book to their 'to read list'. As well - where you can view a 'winners' profile - so many have Historical Fiction Romance - where I was quite clear than my Historical Fiction had extreme violence, drug use etc - so will not appeal to a lot of people.

message 21: by Mellie (last edited Aug 05, 2018 02:30PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments Stephan wrote: "If you call it fun to watch authors spending oceans of time and money on deception..."

What deception? Did you even bother to read the instructions for the Goodreads giveaways?

I have run several giveaways over the years and have enjoyed posting the links, engaging with followers, and have no concerns about sending a paperback to the winner wherever they reside in the world. That's all part of doing business. If that person decides to sell my book, then I'm glad it will find its way into the hands of another reader who might enjoy it.

If you don't like running fun competitions for GR users then I have a simple answer for you - don't run a giveaway.

You seem to think this site owes you something and have a sense of entitlement I find baffling. Perhaps you should take a cue from your own post and stop speaking on behalf of all authors that you are somehow owed respect or reviews.

message 22: by Faith (new)

Faith Stephan wrote: "D. wrote: "I think that some people who enter giveaways and receive physical books turn around and sell them. I paid for a few "read for review" services and personally given away eBooks to those w..."

Members who enter giveaways are not "abusing the system", they are following the rules. You don't appear to like those rules, which is fine. However GR was not started, nor is it run, to boost the careers of indie authors. People do not join GR to help, coddle, flatter or provide justice to indie authors. You have a huge sense of entitlement. You don't like the giveaways, so don't use them.

message 23: by D. (last edited Aug 05, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

D. Thrush | 306 comments Let's be productive in this post. What can we do as readers to support good books and as writers to get our books noticed amidst a deluge of indie books?

message 24: by Mellie (last edited Aug 05, 2018 03:42PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments Stephan wrote: "Do not lecture me about the rules and regulations..."

You obviously need someone to point out site rules and regulations since you don't understand how this site or giveaways work. If you had bothered to read the giveaways page you would have seen you are not guaranteed reviews, nor is that even the purpose of giveaways. It is stated multiple times that giveaways are about creating buzz/awareness of a book. Perhaps you should stop making allegations of "deception" that have arisen because you didn't read the Giveaways page and failed to understand their purpose.

You think you are entitled to reviews from users but you are mistaken. Readers don't owe you anything beyond purchasing your book. That's it. Perhaps you should descend from your lofty tower of literary elitism and learn how the business of publishing works.

If you want reviews - sell books. It's that simple.

message 25: by Mellie (last edited Aug 05, 2018 03:19PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments D. wrote: "It would be nice to get something in return like a review or sign up to your email list..."

You can do that with either InstaFreebie or BookFunnel. Both sites allow you to run giveaways and readers download a book in return for signing up to your email list. It's a great way to grow your newsletter subscribers and I have added thousands to mine through participating in group promotions.

If you specifically want reviews you can buy a slot on NetGalley. Patchwork Press is one indie service with NetGalley account and it is $50 for a one month listing.
http://www.authorservices.patchwork-p...

Or survey your email subscribers and build an ARC team from there.

message 26: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 111 comments On the other hand, I recently was guest speaker at a book club. Afterward, members presented their copies to me to be signed. I opened one book and discovered I had personally inscribed and signed it a while back. The "new' owner, who had obviously purchased the book at a discount, and I exchanged smiles. I wrote "And for you, too, Louise" under the original inscription and scribbled my initials. Graciously.

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Beverly (writesistah) | 41 comments Stephan wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi everyone. Thanks for your valuable feedback regarding giveaways, I'll make sure it reaches the relevant team.

Exactly, Stephan. I've definitely lost my taste for giving away my books through Amazon Giveaways. And now that they want the authors to pay to give away 100 Kindle e-books is a double whammy. What author with modest or non-existent sales can afford it and exactly are we getting out of it? In essence, it's a gamble that we probably won't win.

"Exposure" is relative because we have nothing to measure it by if we don't see reviews or increased sales. Being on a reader's bookshelf would be more satisfying when we know that the reader has actually read the book.

message 28: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 306 comments The Just-About-Cocky Ms M wrote: "Stephan wrote: I do not know if you are aware of the problem on Amazon where top reviewers are allowed to get free gifts in exchange for posting biased reviews, whereas authors are witch-hunted for..."

How do you discover new books and new writers? We need input from readers.

message 29: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments D. wrote: "We need input from readers."

D can you clarify - what input are you seeking from readers?

message 30: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Stephan wrote: "Like many authors who tried the giveaways program I was disappointed to find out that many Goodread's members collect books without the intention to read the books they have won, let alone to review them. The whole purpose of giving free copies to members is to hope to get a book review. I don't understand why Goodreads is not doing anything about it. As it is now, authors have no voice and no rights in this matter
"

Aw,

If for you the "whole purpose of giving free copies to members is to hope to get a book review." then yeah, you're probably going to be disappointed in the outcome.

It's a pretty limited view, as that's definitely not the only way to gain notice of new readers through giveaways, and one way that would be completely invisible is through word of mouth, which is still wildly popular among readers, and highly effective.

Requiring a review would not only violate GR TOS (Amazon's too), but also be a violation of FTC regulations. So, don't hold your breath on that.

"On a personal note I wish to return to the Giveaways program but I will not do it before serious changes took place... I believe I speak on the behalf of other authors as well... "

I won't either, but your suggestions would make me even less inclined to do so, not more.

Michael wrote: "I would suggest using read and review services. There are several out there and you'll get reviews posted on Amazon and at less cost than Goodreads."

Most review services out there scams that violate Amazon TOS and GR TOS, as well as FTC guidelines, so buyer beware. There are a few that are legitimate, such as Netgally and Eidlewiess. And there's the Amazon Vine program.

"The book collectors didn't even react to the authors' humble appeals for a review. I noticed that the book collectors didn't even mention the books they have won in their book lists. Some of them have zero reviews and zero friends. How is it fair for authors? Why is Goodreads not helping authors out here?
It is time for all authors to call for a serious change here. Goodreads we demand fairness and equality! "

Oh sheesh, cry me a river! Authors should be happy they're able to connect to readers here, engage with readers, promote their books in allowable ways, and even offer free books to readers if they want in allowable ways. No one is obligated to accept, nor is anyone obligated to post a review if they do. Thinking otherwise isn't "equality", it's stomping on consumer rights. Equality would be if authors were not allowed to promote their merchandise here, as non-authors can't.

Readers are not free book promoters. Consumer reviews are not free advertising for authors.

message 31: by Faith (new)

Faith D. wrote: "The Just-About-Cocky Ms M wrote: "Stephan wrote: I do not know if you are aware of the problem on Amazon where top reviewers are allowed to get free gifts in exchange for posting biased reviews, wh..."

I learn about a lot of books when they are mentioned in GR groups. Then I read the blurbs and check to see if any of my friends or people I follow have read them. Their reviews are more helpful than reviews from strangers. I also look at the new books listed on Edelweiss and Netgalley. Also, if I like a book I often check the "readers also liked" section on the book page. I do still read the giveaway listings and sometimes find books there, but I no longer enter. To be honest though, I haven't read a self published book in years. I read too many bad ones when I got my first kindle and also when I started entering giveaways in 2013, so I learned to avoid them. But if I still read them, I would follow the same procedure.

message 32: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Michael wrote: "Without the interest of writers, GR will soon become irrelevant. "

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

When I first joined GR in 2007 there were very, very few active authors here and it was a GREAT place, most definitely not at all irrelevant.

I certainly enjoy engaging with *some* authors here, and am glad they are here, but if you think it's authors that make GR "relevant: you're not very knowledgeable on the topic.

message 33: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Stephan wrote: "Create an additional Giveaway called 'Premier Giveaway' where review is guaranteed"

As has been previously pointed out, that's not gonna happen, and it would violate US law.

message 34: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Kathleen wrote: "I would be very curious about where this "law" is stated and under what code? "

You're an author, and apparently one that is interested in giving away free copies in the hopes of gaining some consumer reviews.

Therefore it is very literally your business to know the law, as you don't my advice would be to start doing your homework.

Start with the FTC regulations, then educate yourself on GR TOS and Amazon TOS.

message 35: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments A.W. wrote: "Stephan wrote: "...2- Some members clearly enter the Giveaways program only for the sake of winning a book... "

You don't seem to understand the basic purpose of giveaways. They are NOT a vehicle ..."

This is just one reason why I think you're awesome :D

message 36: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Stephan wrote: " I do not know if you are aware of the problem on Amazon where top reviewers are allowed to get free gifts in exchange for posting biased reviews, whereas authors are witch-hunted for honest reviews for the slightest suspicion of striking a deal for a review in exchange for a free book. The question is why a top reviewer is allowed to get a free electronic product from a wealthy private company and post a biased review, whereas authors are prohibited from having the same kind of deal? "

I have no idea how you came up with this load of malarkey.

message 37: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments The Just-About-Cocky Ms M wrote: "I am a reader. I have, over the years, found plenty of books on GR to choose from, those recommended by friends who post their reviews here and occasionally by GR ads in my feed if the books look w..."

Well said, Ms. M. And that has been my experience here as well. Contrary to what's been claimed, if this sort of author disappeared tomorrow the site would continue happily along without them, just as it did prior to them showing up.

message 38: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments D. wrote: "How do you discover new books and new writers?."

From watching what my Friends and those I Follow on GR are reading, shelving as interested in, discussing, etc., as it goes through my GR Feed.

Talking to friends and family about books they've been reading.

Keeping an eye on new releases and sales for books in my preferred genre.

Just to name a few.

message 39: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Martin | 33 comments Alexandra wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "I would be very curious about where this "law" is stated and under what code? "

I can't believe the hostility on here towards authors. If I ever want advice from a person like you, I will ask for it. Until then, keep your patronizing comments to yourself and stay out of my business.

You're an author, and apparently one that is interested in giving away free copies in the hopes of ..."

message 40: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 05, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Just taking a quick gander at some of the general things I see from many self-pubbed authors desparately seeking reader reviews, some advice:

Make sure you have a professional quality book cover. One that not only catches the eye and is appealing, but one that fits the genre of your book. Way too many times I see authors making similar comments only to look at their books and find amateurish, homemade-looking covers. Not only is that shooting themselves in the foot as far as visibility and marketing, but it sends the message the the contents are likely amateurish as well.

There are places to find great covers that are not all that expensive.

Make sure your book is well-edited, hopefully by a professional.

The less mass-appeal your sort of book has the harder it will be for it to find it's audience. No matter how good the book is. That's just reality. If you're writing for a niche market, then the customers are going to be much, much fewer, than widely popular markets.

message 41: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Sheila wrote: "On the other hand, I recently was guest speaker at a book club. Afterward, members presented their copies to me to be signed. I opened one book and discovered I had personally inscribed and signed ..."

That's great!

message 42: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments For those who want input from readers, I suggest interacting here on GR as a reader. You guys do read too, right?

Read books, post your *honest* thoughts about them, engage with other readers about them. Join groups, ask questions, *listen* and *learn*, treat GR users here as fellow members and fellow readers, not something you feel entitled to market to.

message 43: by Mellie (last edited Aug 05, 2018 05:29PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments Kathleen wrote: "If I ever want advice from a person like you, I will ask for it. Until then, keep your patronizing comments to yourself and stay out of my business..."

Whoa. You're telling a reader to "stay out of your business" but where exactly would your business be without readers? Or are you one of those authors who relies on swapping glowing reviews with other authors and doesn't like genuine readers to get their hands on your books?

It's very illuminating to peruse the books of those authors who are the most vocal in this thread that they should have respect and reviews from readers. There is a small segment of SPAs who constantly complain in GR's thread not having any sales but when you do a bit of digging, those authors seemingly can't be bothered to invest any time or effort into learning their craft, writing a decent book, hiring an editor or a using a professional cover designer. Almost makes you wonder if the two are related...? I know its a controversial view, but I believe putting out the most polished professional book you can increases your chance of more sales and (as a natural flow on effect) more reviews. But then what would I know? ;)

message 44: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Martin | 33 comments The Just-About-Cocky Ms M wrote: "Perhaps I missed something along the way: where is this "hostility?"

If you mean our reactions to the demands for respect, for equality, for rules changes, for reviews, etc., then I suppose you co..."

The Just-About-Cocky Ms M wrote: "Perhaps I missed something along the way: where is this "hostility?"

If you mean our reactions to the demands for respect, for equality, for rules changes, for reviews, etc., then I suppose you co..."

I believe we all seek respect, equality and the right to voice our opinions on rules and reviews. If you do not require "respect, equality...et cetera then that's your right too. Have a good laugh over it while we sink out of your sight and mind.

message 45: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 05, 2018 05:33PM) (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Kathleen wrote: "I can't believe the hostility on here towards authors. "

There was no hostility whatsoever, Katheen. And I certainly am not at all "hostile" to authors.

There are some authors I hold in high regard, many whose works I buy and enjoy, and share about, and many I enjoy engaging with here on GR. And in fact I just accepted an unsolicited offer of an ARC from an author today, who was gracious enough to ensure I'd already listed it as one I was interested in reading before he made the offer. I look very forward to reading it, it looks really good! And when I do I'll be posting my honest thoughts about it here and on Amazon.

"If I ever want advice from a person like you, I will ask for it.

A "person like you" huh? That sounds suspiciously like hosility towards readers.

And, you did. :D

"Until then, keep your patronizing comments to yourself and stay out of my business."

You appear to not understand how discussion boards work. I'm free to comment as I please, when I please, as long as I am in line with GR TOS and as long as GR allows me to do so.

You're free to read my comments, or not.

But I will tell ya, if you're desiring to attract readers to your work this sort of thing is very counter-productive. In addition to educating yourself regarding the federal regulations and various applicable TOS' regarding consumer reviews, you might also want to consider professional behavior when interacting publicly with readers.

Just a thought :D

message 46: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Martin | 33 comments A.W. wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "If I ever want advice from a person like you, I will ask for it. Until then, keep your patronizing comments to yourself and stay out of my business..."

Whoa. You're telling a read..."

I'm just telling you to stay out of my business.

message 47: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments A.W. wrote: "Whoa. You're telling a reader to "stay out of your business" but where exactly would your business be without readers? "

Quite ironic, huh?

message 48: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Martin | 33 comments Alexandra wrote: "A.W. wrote: "Whoa. You're telling a reader to "stay out of your business" but where exactly would your business be without readers? "

Quite ironic, huh?"

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here, Alexandra, but as far as I'm concerned it's not good. I'm going stop replying. I suggest you let it go too.

message 49: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments A.W. wrote: "It's very illuminating to peruse the books of those authors who are the most vocal in this thread that they should have respect and reviews from readers. There is a small segment of SPAs who constantly complain in GR's thread not having any sales but when you do a bit of digging, those authors seemingly can't be bothered to invest any time or effort into learning their craft, writing a decent book, hiring an editor or a using a professional cover designer. Almost makes you wonder if the two are related...? "

Over the years I've found that in nearly all such cases that turns out to be true. At least those I've checked into, which have been many.

message 50: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 05, 2018 05:54PM) (new)

Alexandra | 374 comments Kathleen wrote: "I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here, Alexandra, but as far as I'm concerned it's not good. I'm going stop replying. I suggest you let it go too. ."

You do you Kathleen. As I've already pointed out, I'm free to comment when and how I please, as long as it's within GR TOS and GR allows me to do so. And I will :D

I do think what you consider "good" and what I consider "good" are likely to be vastly different.

But then, I'm just a lowly reader ;)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.