Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > Book Buying Ban (does it really work?)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments We tend to buy books faster than we can read them and our TBR pile just keeps getting bigger and bigger. (at least for me anyway) How do you resits the urge to buy books and does putting yourself on a book buying ban really work?

⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 624 comments I've never put myself on a book bying ban, although I've thought about it some months ago after I bought 8 books on vacation. But I didn't do it because it wouldn't have worked for me anyway 😅 I'll get to all my unread books eventually! I just try not going to the library as often as before but read my own books instead.

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 126 comments How do you resist buying more books:
I don’t go looking on online bookstores (well, at least I try not to).

Does a book buying ban really help:
Yes....until I’m confronted with a lot of books like on book festivals (where I last bought about 16 books).... or if I enter a book store... or if I really want to read a book and my library doesn’t have it.... or if I read a library book which I loved sooooo much that I feel I should have it on my book shelf....

Ehhh, so maybe that should be a no...a ban doesn’t really help lol 😂

message 4: by Dean_o (new)

Dean_o | 13 comments I mean, I never really have to ban myself from buying more books. At some point the guilt concerning the unread books on my shelves becomes too much so I stop buying new books and try to read as many books of my shelves as I can. I've also noticed that books get a lot less interesting for me the longer I have them on my bookshelves so I really try never to have too many stacked up there.

message 5: by Romana (new)

Romana  (abooknerd13) | 207 comments I just broke my book buying ban today. But i hadn't bought a book in perhaps 2 months before that (barring what I got in subscription boxes). And while I still have a ridiculous amount of unread books, I did manage to cross about 10 books off the list.

So in total over the past 2 months, I read 10 books that I already owned and acquired 3. Which I'm happy with.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia | 115 comments I'm in one now, and I actually refused to go into a used book store yesterday because my to-read list is so long! I have got 18 owned books alone that I want to read!

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 14 comments I have put myself on countless book buying bans, but I have NEVER managed to stick to one! I have over 150 books on my shelves at home that are waiting for me to read.

message 8: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 126 comments Tiffany wrote: "I have put myself on countless book buying bans, but I have NEVER managed to stick to one! I have over 150 books on my shelves at home that are waiting for me to read. "

150?? Wow! Good luck, hope you'll discover some gems while clearing your shelves :)

message 9: by Dreher (new)

Dreher I also try to don't go to to the Library that often, because I pick up way to many books there.

message 10: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments I feel like a book buying ban last for a short amount of time. ( At least for me anyways.) The longest I went without buying books was a month. I see a book at the store and I'm like, Oh, I heard of this book. I've been wanting to read that. Add to my basket. Or I never heard of this author before. This sounds interesting. I must get it. Sometimes when I buy books, I don't always get to it right away and the books end up piling on top of each other. I have a problem and need to go to a bookish rehab. Lol!

message 11: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (joannaky00) I'm on a book buying ban till the last week of September. Hopefully I'll be able to keep to it and reduce the amount of books on my TBR before buying more. It also helps if you're doing it with another person, it kinda gives me motivation.

message 12: by Nyla (last edited Aug 21, 2018 03:18PM) (new)

Nyla (nylap) | 71 comments When we were first married (20 years ago), my husband and I instituted a moratorium on all book and music purchases. We didn't even go in to book or music shops, because we would be tempted. (And of course, this was long before internet shopping really took off.) Restricting these purchases allowed us to save up our money for a down payment on our home, so it was worth it. Now we have a nice place to store all of the books and music that we buy way too much of today!

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 160 comments I went about two months on my buying ban. 'Grounding' as I called it. Before finally breaking down and buying one. But I'm thinking I should put myself back on it again so that I don't buy anymore for a while until I'm somewhat caught up.

message 14: by Ray (new)

Ray Jordan | 33 comments I barely lasted two weeks before finding a book someone was getting rid of (this was yesterday). I also downloaded a book just 10 minutes ago for only 4 bucks. Now I have 8 unread books on my shelf.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon For me the book buying ban does work. And it works because I make sure not to tempt myself by going in to a bookstore. We all know there is no self-control once books are within reach. I also tend to stay off my Amazon app because that’s temptation as well. When I’m on a book buying ban I tend to visit the library more. It helps to checkout 20 books for free than to buy 20 books. Lol. I probably have close to if not more than 300 books I’ve bought and haven’t read. Eeekk!! I honestly don’t want to know the exact amount because then all I’ll think about is how much I spent. (And I only do that with books on my TBR pile....hhhmmm weird.) Also, I’m afraid to know the exact number of my TBR pile.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 23 comments I don't do "book bans" but I do challenge myself every year to read books already purchased.
So, every year I do a "The Mt. TBR Struggle is Real" challenge and I incorporate it in every other challenge I do that year.

I incorporate it by digging through my book catalog for books that meet any challenge BEFORE even thinking about checking out the library and/or Amazon.

At last count, I'd read 60+ books from Mt. TBR this year.

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments Wow, I look at your counts for tbr piles and whistle in admiration. For how FEW books you have on that TBR pile. My pile, between "real" books and ebooks is about 1000. And I've never lasted a full day on any book ban, especially since I get 3 different "cheap or free" email lists a day. Those freebies just scream my name and want to snuggle up with me, and generally do their best to tempt me into not being able to pass them up.

Having said that-in the last week I've read 12 books in my TBR pile--but I've added 24. So, as you can see, my pile never goes down. And next week Magic Triumphs comes out, so I'll be buying that one at full price. Then I'll probably re-read it 2 or 3 times, since that's the last book in the Kate Daniels series, and I really hate losing my old friends to the end of their series. Sigh. But, on the plus side, there is at least on spin off series already going and another couple in discussions. Plus Ilona and Andrew have said that there might be short stories coming too.

message 18: by Sanah (new)

Sanah Shabbir (szs_30) As a student, I guess it helps that I'm basically broke because the need to buy books goes to the bottom of my list for monthly necessities. I think book buying bans only work for people who can really commit to it and easily eliminate temptations because most people go on a ban, but can't stay on one because let's be honest, buying new books feels great. Overall, I don't think they are that effective and restricting yourself is just hard to do in general. There's a difference between not wanting something and not being able to have something, so when you restrict yourself, it's harder to stay away from that certain thing.