101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

The Tale of Despereaux
This topic is about The Tale of Despereaux
Completed Children's Reads > The Tale of Despereaux

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alana (new) - added it

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
I'd never heard of this book before this group, but it looks interesting!

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 24 comments I enjoyed the book, but parts of it were a lot darker than I expected, given that it is a children's book.

(view spoiler)

I really love the cover illustration of Despereaux.

message 3: by Leslie (last edited Oct 05, 2018 10:20PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leslie | 21 comments I don't remember how to do a spoiler, so don't read further if you aren't there yet.

I am enjoying this book very much. It's a cute tale and it's easy to relate to, but a few things are disturbing. Why is it a "sin" to behave this way and a few words are not properly used, in my mind. Does it make sense for him to "renounce" his sin as he heads to the dungeon? We are trying to educate young readers on vocabulary words, but I'm not completely feeling ok with some of these word choices. He may renounce his sins so that he may go to the dungeon with a pure heart??? The dungeon is feeling permanent at this point given his risk to the mouse community of discovery followed by extermination by the people. The renunciation of sins in the Catholic Church is not a clearing of the slate before death. A more proper term would be confession or you could renounce the selfish behavior and stay. I'm stopping myself here because it's a children's book and I don't need to go on and on, but you get it. Also, I took French and don't recall this word despereaux. I looked it up on a translator and it does not convert to despair or desperate or anything else. So, that's aggravating. I loved her book about Winn Dixie. That was a terrific book, so I'm a bit down. The tale is cute, whimsical and has loads of potential, but I guess the writer in me would wish for a more careful word choice, especially for a children's book.

Leslie | 21 comments I felt frustrated compared to her other works. It didn't come off to me as a good children's book.