Reading 1001 discussion

Moscow Stations
This topic is about Moscow Stations
1001 book reviews > Moscow Stations by Venedikt Erofeev

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane | 1997 comments Rating: 3.5 stars

This book is a darkly humorous novel about a drunk (with the same name as the author) who is riding a train in Russia. He has just been fired from his job as a cable fitter and is quite inebriated. He rambles on about alcohol, politics, and more alcohol.

I firmly believe you learn at least one new thing from every book you read. This time, I learned how to distill varnish. You never know when that will come in handy...

Amanda Dawn | 937 comments My version was called "Moscow Stations", but was the same book. Overall I liked it and gave it 3 stars. I thought the structure conveyed the sense of a train ride in a neat and novel way, and it was funny and interesting, even though it didn't resonate with me on a super deep level.

One thing in the book I thought was especially cool was the "graphs" he makes for different characters, which don't portray data pointts at all, but rather the personality of the individual he made them for (his line isn't straight because he is drunk, for example, and a komsomol member's line looks like the Kremilin wall).