The Galaxians discussion

Discussions for 2018 > Favorite Canon Novel

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pete, Last of the Mandalores (new)

Pete (petehale) | 96 comments Mod
What is a Canon novel you actually LIKE? For me, its Catalyst and Thrawn.

message 2: by hyperspace (new)

hyperspace | 7 comments Loved Catalyst, Thrawn, and Lords of the Sith. Wouldn't change anything.

Liked A New Dawn. Kanan and Hera are a joy, but I found the original characters uninteresting or even annoying.

Liked Tarkin. Excellent character study but the plot could be a bit dry.

Liked Rebel Rising. This book started off excellent with Saw and Jyn. Unfortunately it only gets worse as the author chose to spin into some horrible romance. Still, I'd give Beth Revis another shot.

Liked Dark Disciple. Christie Golden did a excellent job adapting scripts even if it is obvious some things were cut out. just unfortunate this story wasn't animated and it's especially weird now that CW is coming back.

Meh on Twilight Company. The characters were decent, but there was no overarching plot for me to be interested. Also weirdly repetitive in structure, a novel which could've been much shorter.

Liked Inferno Squad. Many disliked this one since they expected the trench warfare of
twilight company. I went in without expectations and loved the spy drama, even if it was a cheesy, it was entertaining. Hell of a lot better than the abomination of a game.

Those books are just off the top of my head, could post more later

message 3: by DiscoSpacePanther, Grandmaster of Intergalactic Funk (new)

DiscoSpacePanther | 52 comments Mod
Bryson wrote: "Meh on Twilight Company. The characters were decent, but there was no overarching plot for me to be interested. Also weirdly repetitive in structure, a novel which could've been much shorter.

Liked Inferno Squad. Many disliked this one since they expected the trench warfare of
twilight company. I went in without expectations and loved the spy drama, even if it was a cheesy, it was entertaining."

I had almost the entirely opposite reaction! I loved Twilight Company and was pretty "meh" on Inferno Squad.

Looking at my Star Wars Canon ratings of 5 stars, I have Twilight Company, Thrawn, Leia: Princess of Alderaan and Heir to the Jedi.

We've talked about Twilight Company, and Thrawn is great, well because it has Thrawn doing Thrawn stuff! (My wife got bored with it though - after she had listened to and thoroughly enjoyed the audiobooks of the Thrawn trilogy).

Leia: Princess of Alderaan, whilst being YA, is in my opinion far better than Claudia Gray's other canon works. I really enjoyed the characterisation, especially Leia's slow realisation of just how tyrannical the Empire was.

Heir to the Jedi is just a straight up blast from the Adventures of Luke Skywalker - it is the kind of story I imagined as a kid, and it plugged me straight back into the simple adventure romps that I think my subconscious wants from Star Wars.

I've realised - all of these 5 star rated canon books take place in the Empire/Rebellion era - make of that what you will!

message 4: by Luke (new)

Luke | 11 comments I loved “Lost Stars” despite the young adult tone. Also Bloodline and Leia were very good. I have to say I thought Catalyst was incredibly boring and not sure how I finished it. Currently reading Inferno Squad and really enjoying it (I also loved the game, don’t get mad haha). Thrawn was good but not as good as EU! Heir to the Jedi I think is awful, however I am reading this as an audio book and the voices are very badly done in it. Possibly might get a different view as a Novel? I think I will reread many of the above to see if my opinion changes. Gonna try Last Shot and Solo as I really loved that movie!

message 5: by Lance, Revan Reborn (new)

Lance Shadow (lanceshadow) | 27 comments Mod
Lost Stars is my top pick. Bloodline is up there too. Leia Princess of alderaan is in my top 5 but I don't think it quite met the impossibly high standards of LS and Bloodline. A New Dawn is extremely underrated, I love it. Phasma is definitely the worst by far, that book was excruciatingly boring.

If novelizations are included I would say The Force Awakens novelization is worse than Phasma, while the novelization for Rogue One was phenomenal and is my second favorite after Lost Stars.

message 6: by DiscoSpacePanther, Grandmaster of Intergalactic Funk (new)

Lance wrote: "Phasma is definitely the worst by far, that book was excruciatingly boring."

I enjoyed the downright weirdness of Phasma, but I can definitely see how it might be off-putting!

Lost Stars was pretty good on character, but dropped some serious clangers in terms of world-building that I found seriously detracted from it.

Bloodline's primary sin was having Leia abducted yet again - the most hackneyed, regressive plot device that littered the Legends EU, and had hoped that Kathleen Kennedy would put a stop to!

And you are definitely spot on with your appraisal of the novelisation of TFA!

message 7: by DiscoSpacePanther, Grandmaster of Intergalactic Funk (new)

Luke wrote: "Heir to the Jedi I think is awful, however I am reading this as an audio book and the voices are very badly done in it. Possibly might get a different view as a Novel?"

Maybe - but I think that there are some stories that just don't gel with some readers. For example, I never liked the old EU Legends "Darth Bane" series, as I found them a bit silly and clunkily written (although not actively bad, like Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine), but everyone else in Star Wars fandom seems to love them.

(One day I would love to do a group read of SWG:tRoD, because it is bad (really really bad in an enthusiastic but uninspired fanfic way), but not a chore to read like the Hambly Sandwich or The Lando Calrissian Adventures).

message 8: by Lance, Revan Reborn (new)

Lance Shadow (lanceshadow) | 27 comments Mod
DiscoSpacePanther wrote: "Luke wrote: "Heir to the Jedi I think is awful, however I am reading this as an audio book and the voices are very badly done in it. Possibly might get a different view as a Novel?"

Maybe - but I ..."

I never read the 2nd or third darth bane books, but I don't get the insane levels of adoration for the first.

For me, Phasma's wierdness wasn't the problem. I thoughthe mad-max like world of Parnassos was interesting, just not interesting enough to overcome the meandering story and the impersonal and detached portrayal of Phasma herself. I hated the book because the writing was dull, I didn't care for a single character, and the storytelling device of a 2nd hand retelling was hugely misguided.