Challenge Corner discussion

Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1)
This topic is about Crazy Rich Asians
Let's Buddy! - Contemporary > Crazy Rich Asians, by Kevin Kwan - Starting August 11th 2018

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 15005 comments Mod
Crazy Rich Asians is the outrageously funny debut novel about three super-rich, pedigreed Chinese families and the gossip, backbiting, and scheming that occurs when the heir to one of the most massive fortunes in Asia brings home his ABC (American-born Chinese) girlfriend to the wedding of the season.
When Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home, long drives to explore the island, and quality time with the man she might one day marry. What she doesn't know is that Nick's family home happens to look like a palace, that she'll ride in more private planes than cars, and that with one of Asia's most eligible bachelors on her arm, Rachel might as well have a target on her back. Initiated into a world of dynastic splendor beyond imagination, Rachel meets Astrid, the It Girl of Singapore society; Eddie, whose family practically lives in the pages of the Hong Kong socialite magazines; and Eleanor, Nick's formidable mother, a woman who has very strong feelings about who her son should--and should not--marry. Uproarious, addictive, and filled with jaw-dropping opulence, Crazy Rich Asians is an insider's look at the Asian JetSet; a perfect depiction of the clash between old money and new money; between Overseas Chinese and Mainland Chinese; and a fabulous novel about what it means to be young, in love, and gloriously, crazily rich.

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Prologue

(view spoiler)

Kirsche Weatherford Going to start later this evening.

message 4: by Melany (last edited Aug 11, 2018 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Chapter 5

I'm liking this so far but the contently changing perspectives is giving me whiplash. It starts with one pov and rapidly changes to another pov that is informing you about the person from the original pov, while not informing the reader that the perspective has changed. You really have to pay attention to follow.

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Chapter 11

How much the author makes fun of Asian American culture is hilarious! (view spoiler)

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Part 2

(view spoiler)

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Part 2 Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Part 2 chapter 12

(view spoiler)

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Part 2 chapter 14

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Melany (last edited Aug 12, 2018 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments This book was a lot of fun but I didn't like how it ended (view spoiler)

message 11: by Lane (new) - added it

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 440 comments Prologue (view spoiler)
Part 1 (view spoiler)
Part 2 (view spoiler)
Finished (view spoiler)

message 12: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments I AM BEHIND ON STARTING THIS BUT I AM STARTING!! I ALREADY HAVE A MIVIE DATE SET UP LOL

Kirsche Weatherford Same I wanted to start the other day. I still haven’t started becauseI forgot my classes started back this week, so I have been busy with that.

message 14: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments So I am finally getting into this book and I can already tell that Eleanor is going to annoy me and that i like Astrid ahahha

I am only on ch 13 lol

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments OMG the Gossip!! I can't freaking take it! These people (in the book) ANNOY me...so much!

Kirsche Weatherford Part 2 chap 4
This is a great book. I don’t think I like Eleanor.

message 17: by Judy (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Part 2 ch14(view spoiler)

message 18: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Kirsche wrote: "Part 2 chap 4
This is a great book. I don’t think I like Eleanor."

I HATE Eleanor!!!

Kirsche Weatherford The only problem I have with this book is it jumps between story lines all to often.

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Kirsche wrote: "The only problem I have with this book is it jumps between story lines all to often."

YES!!! I am meeting wayyyy too many people to keep up!

Kirsche Weatherford Judy wrote: "Kirsche wrote: "The only problem I have with this book is it jumps between story lines all to often."

YES!!! I am meeting wayyyy too many people to keep up!"

What do you think of to Rachel in the bungalow?

message 22: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Part 2 Complete: (view spoiler)

message 23: by Kirsche (last edited Aug 28, 2018 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kirsche Weatherford Part 2 chap 17
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Kirsche wrote: "Part 2 chap 17
I love how the story is twinned with others but I don't like how it stops, then starts another story. I love how Sophie and Rachel bonded.
fav characters : nick, rachel, sophie, a..."

Sophie!! That's her name! She is def a fave of mine!!

message 25: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Soooo I may be liking Charlie Wu!! :)

message 26: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments WAITTTTT the threesome was REAL!!!! I thought she was lying!!!

message 27: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Wow Charlie Wu...talk about SWOON!! To love someone that much.....wow

message 28: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Finished the book!! Overall i think the book was just okay, i didn't find it as comical as everyone else did but it wasn't a bad book! But i can't wait to see the movie!! lol

Kirsche Weatherford Hopefully finishing it today. I think this an okay book, but I don’t think I will read it again.

Caroline | 1903 comments Chapter 12
(view spoiler)

message 31: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments I will def not read it again lol

Caroline | 1903 comments Part 2 Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Kirsche Weatherford I liked how the story played out. But I didn't like the jumping from person to person and the story was a little slow paced for me. I enjoyed the book, but will probably not read again.

Caroline | 1903 comments Part 3 Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 1903 comments Part 3 Chapter 9
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 1903 comments Finished!
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Ohhh (judyohh) | 464 comments Caroline wrote: "Finished!

A lot happened in the last portion of the book! I though Rachel kind of overreacted by saying she never wanted to see Nick again. I mean, she went through a lot, and she lasted way longe..."

I thought the SAME thing...she def overreacted!!