Cozy Mysteries discussion

Cozy Authors > Mystery authors from your county (UK)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 56 comments I was reading through the 'mystery authors from your state' thread, and I thought we might have one for UK authors/books. I'm taking 'from the county' to mean that the author lived there at some point in his/her life, and has used the county as a setting for his or her work.

My county is Kent. Lots of history, countryside and seaside. Charles Dickens is the biggest literary name associated with it.

Lesley Cookman sets her Libby Sarjeant series in a slightly fictionalised version of the county.
Amy Myers who also writes as Harriet Hudson.
Julie Wassmer
Jacqueline Winspear is now US based, but used to live in Kent and some of her Maisie Dobbs books are partly set there.

message 2: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Wharton | 23 comments I live in Derbyshire, but I used to live in Staffordshire and I also have family connections with Leicestetshire - so it's not surprising my fictional county of Rostershire - main town the city of Roster - is situated in the East Midlands, and contains bits of all of them. Many of the events in my books are based on real things that happened to me while living in thosr counties.

message 3: by Marion (new)

Marion Crook | 5 comments Sara Rosett's Murder on Location books are, as the title of the series suggests, in many locations in Britain. Death in an English Countryside is the first of that series. Her High Society Lady series set in the 1930s starts with Murder at Archly Manor. The protagonist is based in London. I binge read fourteen of her books one weekend. It was lovely.

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 56 comments I've just finished the three (so far) books in the Hardcastle and Chaytor series by A.J. MacKenzie Well researched historical crime set in the 1790s in Romney Marsh, a very specific part of my county of Kent.