Authors Looking directly for Readers discussion

YA BOOKS, PLEASE!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Davies | 5 comments I'm an author/book reviewer who reads print books, then reviews them and passes them on to a children's home. There is a shortage of books for teens in the home. If you'd like a free review ( only 3 stars plus are posted, otherwise private feedback is given) please get in touch with me. Thanks. Offer this month ONLY.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bradley (cln1812) | 2 comments I am sorry to respond to this email late, and I hope it is not too late. We switched internet providers to save money as our contract with the old provider was up, and they would not negotiate much in the way of a lower rate. However, the internet change did not go smoothly. I had only my cell phone for internet access, and not only did it use up our cellular data unless I was in a place with free wi-fi, but I get anxious giving too much information out in a public wi-fi place such as Starbucks, not to mention typing on the smartphone is not easy for me as I grew up in the 1990s, and we didn't get smartphones until after 2010, probably a few years beyond that as I don't remember exactly, so I am not a good smartphone typist.

I would love to sign up for this. Due to a medical emergency on February 14, our finances have been awful. I had to be transported by ambulance to a hospital, receive trauma surgery for a perforated ulcer, and stay in the hospital for 6 days, not to mention all the the followupus and medications. Our insurance is awful, and has a $7500 deductible. We have negotiated bills with the main medical people we owe money to, but that is hurting the money would can put toward groceries & the mortgage and necessary bills. My husband (with a Ph.D. in Phsyical chemistry from a Nobel. Prize winner (Rick Smalley, for discovery of the Buckey Ball & entrance into the field of nanotechnolocy), but in real life, Smalley was a jerk and made his graduate students & post-docs compete for first author publications, and depsite all the work my husband did for Smalley, Rice University gave my husband a Ph.d. without a single first author publication, which is everything in getting a faculty position at a university. He has looked for jobs over the U.S. for 4 or 5 years now that utilizes his degree and never even gotten a phone interview. Now, he teaches high school physics in a school with nearly every student disadvantaged and at-risk. He teaches many SI-Op kids (ESL students though my husband speaks no Spanish). Teachers are paid enough to be above poverty level, so we can't get financial aid (we may go into foreclosure soon). He has been so downsizeed from NASA as the government cut fundin He now teaches high school physics in a school with nearly every student disadvantaged and at-risk. He teaches many SI-Op kids (ESL students though my husband speaks no Spanish). Teachers are paid enough to be above poverty level, so we can't get financial aid (we may go into foreclosure soon).

I have mental health issues, and both my psychiatrist and family doctor believe I should not work outside the home but cannot get disability for this because I have only worked 2.5 years, and my husband's teacher salary puts us above poverty level, so we cannot get aid from the state or federal government. I have tried and tried for help and been turned down by the state & the federal govt., transferred countless times on the telephone, given multiple numbers to call only to be told there is no help for us. Every time I try to work, I nearly end up in the psych hospital with depression, panic/anxiety, and a worsening eating disorder (anorexia/ED-NOS).

When Hurricane Harvey hit last year, we were in the path. My husband's school library took a huge hit, as did the library in my daughter's school district. Our daughter's books were mostly destroyed.

Along with that, my daughter loves to read and though she is middle school age, she loves reading so much, her reading level is above 12th grade. She mostly reads YA books now, and with our poor finances, we can not afford to buy her books any more, which makes her sad because she like to read her books multiple times. We live in the Houston (Harris County) public library system, and often there will be a queue of 100 people or more requesting a book (which also means you have to return the book after the 2 week check-out period and cannot re-check it if you need to finish it but instead must return it and go back to the end of the book queue to receive the book again to finish). For popular series & books, this results in a multiple month queue. After reading the book, should my daughter choose not to re-read it, we would either donate it to my daughter's high school library or my husband's school library.

If you know of any resources (book or otherwise) that can help us, please let me know. My husband has many jobs skills outside of the nanotechnology field including coding in multiple computer languages, data analsyis, expertise at Microsoft Suite (especially Excel, high skills in complex math & engineering, CAD programs, is artistic both on and off the computer. He has more skills, but that is just a sample. I need to get him up for work now; I am not sleeping well lately.

Sincerely,
Cheryl Bradley
9935 Old Orchard Rd.
La Porte, TX 77571

message 3: by George (new)

George Rothery | 3 comments Cheryl - Tell your husband to check out Oakridge, Tn. The government runs some projects there on nanotechnology and have done some advanced things in the field. Oakridge is the home of the atomic bomb and only a short drive from Knoxville, Tn where I live.
George Rothery