Lincoln Parish Library discussion

LPL Staff Recommends > LPL Staff Recommendations: August 2018

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 215 comments Robin Recommends:

Zombies Versus Aliens Versus Vampires Versus Dinosaurs by Jeff Abugov
Zombies Versus Aliens Versus Vampires Versus Dinosaurs by Jeff Abugov

A must read! I laughed throughout this whole book. It's a comedy science fiction blend. When a highly sophisticated race of alien insects arrive to exterminate mankind, mythical creatures from human lore turn out to be more real than anyone imagined. It is an epic battle for the preservation of our planet, and no one is left out. Oh, and some of them fall in love.

Jeremy Recommends:

The Hunger by Alma Katsu
The Hunger by Alma Katsu

A westward expansion journey was always a dangerous decision by very brave and optimistic Americans, but what the people in Katsu's novel endure goes beyond the arduous wagon train trials and ends with nothing less than the horrific. There are a lot of characters here, and they all have a past which pushed them West. But, who's running from the worst demon? 'The Hunger' is a solid historical thriller, tinged with a mega creep factor that ultimately makes it quite disturbing. (So if being disturbed is not your thing, read elsewhere.) Just off the page is a much scarier, paranormal presence, but Katsu's subtle shadows of it only ratchets up the suspense causing a sense of paranoia that is palpable. 'The Hunger' is perfect for people who enjoy historical adventures into unknown dangers, especially those who enjoyed 'The Terror' by Dan Simmons.

Nick Recommends:

Side Life by Steve Toutonghi
Side Life by Steve Toutonghi

My recommendation for this month is Side Life by Steve Toutonghi. In this novel Vin, our protagonist, has recently found himself unemployed and is currently on the search for a new job. His father aids Vin by setting him up with a house sitting job. Vin quickly learns that, although the house is quite beautiful, there is something eerily unsettling about the place. As Vin investigates, he methodically uncovers more into the mystery of this mansion including underground laboratories, suspended animation, and consciousness sharing. Side Life works very well as a blend of the mystery and science fiction genres, presenting readers with enough questions to lure us throughout while also taking a midway dive into some sci-fi concepts that will satisfy fans of the genre while not turning off the less experienced.

Michael Recommends:

Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts
Year One by Nora Roberts

Year One was my ‘soft’ entrance into romance. I immediately connected with the characters and quickly got accustomed to the steady pace of the book. Having never read a romance before, I believe starting with this untraditional love story was the best way to get acquainted with the genre. Three romantic relationships blossom and converge in a tumultuous setting where a pandemic has eradicated much of the world’s population. Good and bad begin to manifest in a selected few with paranormal powers. The couples are left to fight for survival as everything devolves around them, and they can only depend on each other. Roberts does a fantastic job of world building (or should I say world rebuilding) while keeping the focus centered on the main characters. I will definitely be following the rest of the series!

Zack Recommends:

The Son by Philipp Meyer
The Son by Philipp Meyer

The Son is a sprawling Western Epic that explores the McCullough family’s multi-generational struggle to control the family land in Texas. Told from many points of view, this book has everything, from Indian capture tales, classic coming of age, ranch conflicts, and even oil boom struggles. As you explore the West through the McCulloughs’ colorful narration, you see how the actions of one generation shapes the next and see the landscapes described over the years and see how the land itself changes with the choices of each generation. Recommended for fans of westerns, family dramas, and historical fiction.

Rebecca Recommends:

A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman
A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman & Rafael Albuquerque

We’ve all heard that you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but readers, that is exactly what I did. I didn’t bother reading the synopsis, I checked this out solely on the cover and the authors listed, and I was not disappointed. This is a case where the artwork works seamlessly with the story at hand which adds to the story immensely. This graphic novel starts out much like A Study in Scarlet with a doctor veteran meeting an eccentric gentleman living on Baker Street who he ends up living with. Early on in their strange friendship, the two are pulled into a murder mystery of cosmic horror which brings them to London slums, cheap theaters, and even to the Cthulhu Queen’s palace. If you’ve ever been disappointed in the lack of Lovecraftian horror in your Sherlockian mystery, this graphic novel is not to be missed.

Tony Recommends:

To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1) by Harper Lee
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

My book recommendation for the month of June is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. If you have never read this book, I would advise you to stop reading this recommendation immediately, and go and buy yourself a copy. Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Great Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus and discusses many important topics and themes throughout the book, such as classism, racism, and sexism. To Kill a Mockingbird is a well-written debut novel that has unique characters, a heartbreaking plot, and timeless themes. All of which, make it as powerful and interesting to read now as when it was written nearly fifty eight years ago.

Josh Recommends:

True Grit by Charles Portis
True Grit by Charles Portis

True grit, a book widely known for its movie adaptations but well worth its weight in gold, is a great story of 14 year old Maddie Ross and her far-reaching search and desire for the justice of her father’s killer. Set in the 1870s, the west is often idolized for its hardy conditions and even hardier men but what I really enjoyed was the 14 year old girl, fueled with determination, proves to stand up with the lawmen she tags along with and it shows she has some ‘true grit’ of her own. The writing of the story paints a great word picture for both the language and dialogue of the time as well as Mattie’s experiences while also being a quick and entertaining read.

message 2: by Bee (last edited Aug 04, 2018 07:03AM) (new)

Bee Ostrowsky (sylvar) | 2 comments "To Kill a Mockingbird: If you have never read this book, I would advise you to stop reading this recommendation immediately, and go and buy yourself a copy."

I mean... I might have a better idea but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Creekmore (mawkinberd) | 2 comments OK, this comment wins a gold star. A gold LIBRARY star. :D