Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > September 2018 Femme Fatale Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4711 comments Mod
Our September group read theme is Femme Fatale: A dangerous, kickbutt female heroine (in the broadest terms).

Nominate a book that has a kickbutt action heroine (the book must have a prominent female character who fully participates in the action/adventure) and must meet the other qualifications below:

(Please recall that we don't vote for books we've already read--There's a link below to check our list of previous group reads).

Here are the other considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You may see the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).
6. Authors are asked not to nominate their own books or solicit nominations from members.

Please feel free to include a blurb for the book so others know a little about the book, along with your Goodreads book link.

The poll will go up on August 10th.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
I wanted to go with this because I can't find many and think that there are probably more out there I haven't found.

I'll nominate A Soldier's Duty.

I gave it 3 stars and it's a pretty good read. I still plan to read the next, so...

message 3: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
I will nominate The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer The Chemist

message 4: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments I will nominate
Check out Carrie by Stephen King
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 5: by M.E. (last edited Aug 03, 2018 04:39PM) (new)

M.E. | 23 comments I'll nominate The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Just to throw out another to help spark ideas if nothing else: Alien (this, a novelization of the movie rather than a novel the movies was based on).

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
So far nothing new. PLEASE is there nothing different out there???? I liked tGWtDT, couldn't stand The Chemist, read Carrie 30+ years ago (not a fan).

Come on surely there's something out there I've missed! Help!

message 7: by Prasanna (last edited Aug 04, 2018 12:29AM) (new)

Prasanna (ceesar) | 4 comments My nomination will be Rogue Ghost
CIA operative Alex Parker is one of the most successful "ghosts" the agency has. Recruited as a 17 year old, she has over 100 kills to her credit. But ten years of blending in, disappearing, and assassinating targets has taken a toll on her and she'd like to get out. Now, she has a new problem....her partner's gone rogue. After stealing government secrets, he intends to sell them to the highest bidder. It's up to Parker, and her new partner, to find him and bring him in...dead or alive.

message 8: by Agnieszka (last edited Aug 04, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 159 comments I'm nominating The Informationist by Taylor Stevens a blend of adventure, mystery & thriller with an unique main character. I read it 2 years ago and I still remeber it vividly and would re-read it with you should it win.

Governments pay her.
Criminals fear her.
Nobody sees her coming.

Vanessa “Michael” Munroe deals in information. After escaping a traumatic childhood in lawless central Africa, she is now sought after by corporations, heads of state, and private clients who can afford her unique brand of expertise.
When a Texas oil billionaire hires her to find his daughter who has vanished in Africa, Munroe finds herself back in the darklands she once knew so well, fighting mysterious forces determined to keep the fate of the missing girl a secret. If she has any hope of getting out of the jungle alive, Munroe must finally face up to the demons of the past she’s tried for so long to forget.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4711 comments Mod
I'm late posting the poll, so that gives me time to suggest

Best Served Cold

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Some great suggestions! We should have a fun read in September. The poll is up. It will close on August 18th. I'm sorry it's late. I sold my house and I'm getting ready for a big move. It's been crazy!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...