Latino and Latin American Literature discussion

New Pablo Neruda biography!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Eisner (eizmarcos) | 9 comments Estimados/Queridos miembros del grupo de Latino y Latin America Literature,
I am thrilled to announce the publication of my biography of Pablo Neruda from Ecco/HarperCollins:

Neruda The Poet's Calling by Mark Eisner

The reception so far has been incredible, especially in regards to how it weaves his personal life story, his politics, and his poetry all together. and I hope it will peak your interest to check it out. More information can be found at my website, www.markeisner.net

It is also now out in Spanish, from HarperCollinsEspañol, including an audio version:

Neruda el llamado del poeta by Mark Eisner

Thank you for your attention. Some review excerpt and blurbs follow below. Please feel free to ask me anything about it.

Paz, pan, flores y amor,
Mark

"Neruda: The Poet's Calling unfolds as a masterful weave of biography, literary criticism and cultural history, a scrupulous portrait of a genius as vast and contradictory as the continent he loved." — The Barnes & Noble Review

"A definite biography and instant classic...Eisner brings alive Latin America’s greatest poet... Empathetic but unflinching when occasion calls for criticism, Eisner weaves his subject’s stanzas that resonate with the poet’s personal stories." — Library Journal

"Eisner's exacting and evocative prose will compel readers through each stage of the poet's life. [The] new standard-bearer among Neruda biographies." — Booklist 

"Efficient and moving... [Eisner's] descriptions are poetry themselves...” — Publishers Weekly

"Mark Eisner's definitive biography of Chilean poet Pablo Neruda reads like a beautifully written novel: attentive to scene, momentum, and rich with evocative details.”
— Cristina García, Dreaming in Cuban 

"Eisner deftly weaves the strands of Neruda’s life into a narrative as intimate as it is sweeping. This book is an astounding accomplishment, an essential text, and a terrific joy to read.”
— Carolina de Robertis, The White Mountain

Thank you for your consideration.

message 2: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 18 comments Oh my goodness! How wonderful! Will get a copy and post a review. Congratulations. Claudia

message 3: by Clark (new)

Clark Zlotchew | 4 comments Felicitaciones, Mark! Neruda es un autor muy interesante. Yo he traducido algunos de sus poemas sobre Isla Negra. Las traducciones aparecen en forma de libros bilingues.The House in the Sand entre otros El libro de usted sin duda añadirá un elemento más personal sobre este gran poeta.

message 4: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 18 comments Mark, I got my copy just now, looking forward to reading it. You're local to the Bay Area? Same here. My first book was (historical fiction) about Sor Juana, and I translated some of her obscure poems for it. Your book came out right at the same time as my third in the Mexico set, Chains of Silver. It sounds like your book will be a great read. Take care, and congratulations again.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Eisner (eizmarcos) | 9 comments Clark, primero, gracias. y que genial lo de House in the Sand/Isla Negra. Amo este libro. Y los fotos de Rogovin. Uso uno suyo de la casa de Isla Negra en Neruda: The Poet's Calling, queria usar mucho más. Y Ariel y Marjorie me han apoyado con tanto cariño. Uso mucho de Ariel, especialmente, en mi libro.

Gracias de nuevo. Si lo compres, espero que te gusta, y me gustaria saber que piensas!

Saludos,
Mark

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Eisner (eizmarcos) | 9 comments Thank you so much Claudia. I saw your books when I looked at your profile earlier, though didn't have a chance to respond until now. Sor Juana was fascinating, and how great to write about her. I'm actually heading to Mexico in a few days for a new non-Neruda project! Once I get out of the pile of books I'm reading for that, I look forward to getting yours.

And I no longer live in the Bay Area, though am back often to visit friends or other reasons. Too bad you missed our events for the biography at the Red Poppy Art House in the Mission and the San Francisco Bay Area Book Fest in Berkeley. I may actually be out to be part of something non-Neruda related at the BerkIdeas Festival.

I look forward to you hopefully enjoying the biography and to us meeting in person at some point, either in California or Mexico! Please let me know what you think of the book after you're done.

Gracias,
Mark

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Eisner (eizmarcos) | 9 comments Thrilled and so grateful that Neruda: The Poet's Calling ("The Biography of a Poet") has been named a semi-finalist for the 2019 Pen Award for Biography!

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin | 1 comments Likewise

message 9: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 18 comments Great job!

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Eisner (eizmarcos) | 9 comments Thanks both of you-- and new , even more exciting news- so honored that it's been named a finalist!

https://pen.org/2019finalists/

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Eisner (eizmarcos) | 9 comments Robin wrote: "Likewise"

Thank you, Robin!