Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's July 2018 Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Aug 03, 2018 03:02AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Only 5 for the month. My numbers have been off the past few months. Too much going on, I guess!

The Diva Cooks up a Storm (A Domestic Diva Mystery #11) by Krista Davis The Diva Cooks up a Storm by Krista Davis: 11th in Domestic Diva series, and one of my favorite cozy series. Been awhile since the last one, so was good to catch up with Sophie and the rest of the Old Town crew. When a neighborhood resident shows up with his hot young trophy wife at a "pop-up" gourmet dinner party a lot of people are definitely put off, but who was upset enough to kill him? Grade: 9

Unlikely Loves 43 Heartwarming True Stories from the Animal Kingdom by Jennifer S. Holland Unlikely Loves: 43 Heartwarming True Stories from the Animal Kingdom by Jennifer S. Holland: Lovely pictures and stories about animal friendships that shouldn't work, but do. Simple but inspiring. Truly a feel good book! Grade: 9

Rescued (Andy Carpenter, #17) by David Rosenfelt Rescued by David Rosenfelt: 17th Andy Carpenter and a visit with Andy & pals is always time well spent. When Andy gets a call from an acquaintance with the Humane Society about a a truckload of dogs with a dead driver, he's on the spot to pick them up and take them to his Tara Foundation dog rescue. Turns out the driver was killed by Laurie's ex-boyfriend who says it was self-defense and the boyfriend, and Laurie, want Andy to take his case. Grade: 8

Death by Dumpling (A Noodle Shop Mystery #1) by Vivien Chien Death by Dumpling by Vivien Chien: 1st in Noodle Shop series and a good start to this new series. Lana Lee finds herself working at her family's restaurant after a nasty romantic breakup and a dramatic walkout from her previous job. When the restaurant property manager turns up dead after eating shrimp dumplings, when everyone knew he had a shellfish allergy, suspicion falls on the family restaurant...Lana delivered his "last supper". Grade: 8

Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin: this is listed as the 7th in the Tales of the City series, but it's nowhere near what those books were. Had been in The Pile for sometime, so I pulled it out. Worth a read, I guess, but ultimately disappointing. Only rating it as high as I did because I loved the original series so much. Grade: 5.5

message 2: by OMalleycat (last edited Aug 03, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Melodie wrote: "Unlikely Loves: 43 Heartwarming True Stories from the Animal Kingdom by Jennifer S. Holland

Just looking at the Amazon preview gave me a case of the 'awwwwws!'

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments I love the Domestic Diva series and can't wait to read the latest :)

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments Nice list Melodie! The Noodle Shop series looks tempting!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I've always wanted to read the Tales of a City series but never got around to it. Back on the list it goes!

message 6: by Melodie (last edited Aug 11, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I've always wanted to read the Tales of a City series but never got around to it. Back on the list it goes!"

I think you'll like them, Carol. Has been many years since I read the original series, but I still remember them well.

message 7: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 204 comments Thanks Melodie! You just solved a birthday gift quandary for one of my animal loving friends! I know she will love Unlikely Loves!