The Malazan Fallen discussion

Why you should read Malazan

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments It's a good set of articles. At the end of the day it can be simplified to if you want epic, true epic, the most epic of all works where just the word work has meaning because you'll have to work at keeping it all straight this is the series for you. If you just want easy turn back and find yourself a nice YA book and enjoy yourself.

I'm halfway through my first reread of the series and it's just as good the second time through but for different reasons. Without the sensory overload of the first time through I can simply enjoy it and I'm seeing so many obvious things I missed the first time through.

I'm doing the reread with a group where most are reading it for the first time. Helping them out with chapter notes I still struggle with the timeline thinking do they know this already? It is just such a massive world and story.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 8 comments Scott wrote: "It's a good set of articles. At the end of the day it can be simplified to if you want epic, true epic, the most epic of all works where just the word work has meaning because you'll have to work a..."

I think it is almost imperative to do a reread, particularly for House of Chains and Midnight Tides where so many characters get introduced for the first time and receive so much "screen time" and your slogging through, waiting for Malazan characters to appear. I have a much higher appreciation and no sense of "slog" or confusion the second time. Just delighting in connecting the dots better and enjoying the characters. House of Chains is moving up my list in my all-time top ten the more I read it.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments Rob wrote: "I think it is almost imperative to do a reread, particularly for House of Chains and Midnight Tides where so many characters get introduced for the first time and receive so much "screen time" and your slogging through, waiting for Malazan characters to appear. I have a much higher appreciation and no sense of "slog" or confusion the second time. Just delighting in connecting the dots better and enjoying the characters. House of Chains is moving up my list in my all-time top ten the more I read it. ."

I agree. HoC was amazingly better the second time. MT is the only book where I was a bit confused, including GotM, near the start. I'm 3 chapters into the reread and can honestly say I get why I was confused. There's still some stuff in there where I feel like I'm missing something and that's even with the knowledge of how things play out.

message 5: by Johny (new)

Johny (drbo) | 184 comments Yeah, it is necessary to do at least one reread in order to understood all.