What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > (Maybe 80s) Adult Fantasy, female winged protagonist, culture of sky people

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tori (new)

Tori Heroux (dreamgalaxies) | 4 comments This would have been probably late 90s, I started reading this book at the library and got about 60 pages in before I had to leave. Wish I could remember more! For some reason I seem to remember a Joan D. Vinge vibe. Have searched some 'fantasy/sci fi by women' lists and google with no luck. Unfortunately don't remember any concrete plot details after so many years but for some reason this vague impression has stuck with me.

message 3: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 905 comments Maybe one of the Samaria books by Sharon Shinn? The first book is Archangel.

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Aug 04, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments Did they have artificial wings? If so, could be Windhaven by George R R Martin and Lisa Tuttle.

ETA: Interestingly, the Wikipedia article for the book lists Joan D. Vinge as a "related article" even though she isn't mention at all in the main article.

message 5: by Tori (new)

Tori Heroux (dreamgalaxies) | 4 comments I checked these but alas, it's none of them!

I remember being attracted to the book by its beautiful cover. I want to say they lived on a floating island in the sky?

The wings weren't artificial, but now I want to read that book!

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Was it a children's book? Below the Root by Zilpha Keatley Snyder?

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott The Integral Trees may also be of interest.

message 8: by Tori (new)

Tori Heroux (dreamgalaxies) | 4 comments Sheila wrote: "Was it a children's book? Below the Root by Zilpha Keatley Snyder?"

No, not a children's book. Thanks!

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35691 comments Mod
Is this book for teens (young adults) or older adults?

message 10: by Tori (new)

Tori Heroux (dreamgalaxies) | 4 comments Kris wrote: "Is this book for teens (young adults) or older adults?"

It was marketed for adults.

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Now I really want to read it too, lol. It's hard because there were so many mass-market fantasy novels published in the 80s and 90s, and not all of them are still around.

This list might help? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

Or this one: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

And here's a reddit list too: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comm...

message 12: by Julia (last edited Oct 25, 2018 12:05PM) (new)

Julia | 21 comments could it be Dust ? they live on a spaceship, not an island, though

message 13: by Leah (new)

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1159 comments Published too late (in 2015) but another book that otherwise fits this description is Updraft by Fran Wilde. Updraft

message 15: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 44 comments Here's one with winged shapeshifters--https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 16: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5217 comments The Cloud Roads for future reference.

message 17: by Aerulan (last edited Oct 27, 2018 08:51PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1235 comments The Cloud Roads is a fantastic book, but having read it multiple times I can say almost nothing about it fits with the one described by the OP. Main character is male, they don't look human in their winged form, they don't live on a flying island, and it first came out in 2011. So it's an unlikely possibility.

message 18: by Ky (new)

Ky | 152 comments Maybe one of these three books? They're all part of the same trilogy by Laurie J Marks: Delan the Mislaid, The Moonbane Mage, and Ara's Field. They were published, one after the other, from 1989 to 1991.

message 19: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35691 comments Mod
Tori, are you still looking for this book or did you find it?