Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
This topic is about Devil Takes a Bride
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - Devil Takes A Bride

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
In the quiet English countryside, far from the intrigues of London, Lizzie Carlisle slowly mends her broken heart, devoting herself to her new position as lady’s companion to the Dowager Viscountess Strathmore— until her peaceful life is turned upside down by a visit from “Devil” Strathmore, the old woman’s untamed nephew—a dangerously handsome man whose wicked reputation hides a tortured soul.

Devlin Kimball, Lord Strathmore, has spent years adventuring on the high seas, struggling to make his peace with the tragedy that claimed the lives of his family. But now he has uncovered the dark truth behind the so-called accident and swears retribution. He has no intention of taking a bride—until his eccentric aunt’s will forces he and Lizzie together, and Devlin finds his path to vengeance blocked by the stubborn but oh-so-tempting Miss Carlisle. Her passionate nature rivals his own. But disillusioned once by love, Lizzie will accept nothing less than his true devotion.

Loriidae and I plan to start on the 17th. All welcome!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I liked this one!

I liked the crafty Lady Strathmore too!

I hope you guys enjoy Lizzie and Dev.

message 3: by Tanya (new) - added it

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments This sounds like a fun read!

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lorii, have you started yet? I can tonight or definitely will tomorrow.

Others joining us?

Loriidae | 1120 comments I can start today. :)

Loriidae | 1120 comments I have read the prologue! Exciting start!

message 7: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes! The prologue sets up for a potentially exciting story also I think.

I was remiss in checking on who this was about. I knew Lizzie, but I kept thinking Alec as the hero and was trying to fit either of them into it, which was not working. Once I checked the blurb, I realized my mistake and it became easier to follow.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I hope y’all don’t mind if I “lurk?”

Loriidae | 1120 comments Not at all Andrea please lurk and add your opinions :)

message 10: by Loriidae (last edited Aug 19, 2018 05:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Yes! The prologue sets up for a potentially exciting story also I think.

I was remiss in checking on who this was about. I knew Lizzie, but I kept thinking Alec as the hero and was trying to fit e..."

I avoid reading blurbs, so I never know who the MCs are and it has become part of the fun in the eraly stages of a new novel to guess who they are, although sometimes I am disappointed when the person I have picked out to be the hero turns out not to be!

Loriidae | 1120 comments Of course the last book led us to believe that Alec would be next, I had forgotten that.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter One - Ughh that is poor, as you know I hate historical inaccuracies - or more to the point things that are so easily checked - Malaysia was formed in 1963, before that it was Malaya....

message 13: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Of course the last book led us to believe that Alec would be next, I had forgotten that."

Yes, I guess he really did the unforgivable!

I try to avoid details in blurbs except the names in a series. Most of the time I will not read them when I intend to read the book, either.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Two (view spoiler)
I like Aunt Augusta. Chapter Two was lovely.

message 15: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Chapter One - Ughh that is poor, as you know I hate historical inaccuracies - or more to the point things that are so easily checked - Malaysia was formed in 1963, before that it was Malaya...."

Oh good catch! I didn’t know that but it makes sense. So easy to research. These types of issues bother me too.

This has a sort of Count of Monte Cristo feel to it.

message 16: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Chapter Two [spoilers removed]
I like Aunt Augusta. Chapter Two was lovely."

It was a good chapter! Aunt Agatha is lovely. I enjoyed the early scene with the maid Margaret getting her words mixed up. I think the lie here is very forgivable. It is out in the open early on and done with the good intention of protecting Agatha.

message 17: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Through Chapter 4:

I am enjoying the tone of this so far. It feels lighter and freer than the others, I think. I also like how this one hasn’t featured any physical intimacies yet. I may be wrong but I think all the others had.

message 18: by Loriidae (last edited Aug 19, 2018 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Yes! It is my favourite so far. It's tone is very similar to her Moonlight Square series which I like.

Yes I am pretty sure you are right not as insta-lust as the others.

Definitely a revenge feel, I am looking forward to how it all ties in.

And it was nice to have the letter out in the open,

I have read chapter four as well. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Aug 20, 2018 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Loriidae wrote: "Yes! It is my favourite so far. It's tone is very similar to her Moonlight Square series which I like.

Definitely a revenge fe..."

Loriidae,

I’m reading Moonlight Sq. I’ve read the intro novella and Bk 1, but not Bk 2 Duke of Secrets or Bk 3 Duke of Storm.

Where are you in the series? I need to read bks 2-3.

Maybe we could could join forces?

Loriidae | 1120 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Yes! It is my favourite so far. It's tone is very similar to her Moonlight Square series which I like.

Defini..."

I am up to date with Moonlight Square. I liked book #2 the best and #1 the least

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Maybe we could read Bk 4?

GF is very busy. She writes CR with her sister and writes children’s fantasy with her husband. I don’t think the books in this series will be issued quickly.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Sounds like a plan. I have noticed that there is usually a long gap.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Loriidae wrote: "Sounds like a plan. I have noticed that there is usually a long gap."

There are Long gaps because her attention is "divided.' Also, she has missed the deadline for book 1 after I had read the novella. I had to wit a long time for book 1. She missed the deadline by a long shot.

message 24: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Yes! It is my favourite so far. It's tone is very similar to her Moonlight Square series which I like.

Definitely a revenge fe..."

It was a quick jump on Alec. I guess it shows that he is observant and in tune with Lizzie.

message 25: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Through Chapter 7

I was only going to read chapter 5 tonight, but I saw 6 was quite short and then 7 ends a section of sorts. I have a paperback for this one that I got at a flea market. I think I may look to get the final two in paperback also.

I have really enjoyed their time in Bath. Aunt Agatha is a great character, maybe a bit cooks but fun and amusing. (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Seven: I agree re your spoiler! The whole story is sweet, I guess! I like the lack of angst, thevattraction is well done and each relationship with the Aunt is beautifully done... So at the moment we have no real indication where the story is going.. we have the will, I expect you are correct there and Dev's revenge plot.

Busy day ahead, I will continue tonight.

Loriidae | 1120 comments I am really enjoying this one. I am through Chapter 12.

Chapter Seven - (view spoiler)
And (view spoiler)

Chapter Eleven - What a tangle - Dev was so funny in his clumsiness.

Loriidae | 1120 comments P.S. Don't rush to catch up, I know you are a lot busier than me. :)

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Aug 22, 2018 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I wanted to read more, but I only ready Chapter 8 last night. I will probably only get one more in tonight. It's been an interesting day, may have some changes coming on the job front.

message 30: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "I am really enjoying this one. I am through Chapter 12.

Chapter Seven - [spoilers removed]
And [spoilers removed]

Chapter Eleven - What a tangle - Dev was so funny in his clumsiness."

I think you chapter 7 spoiler was for 8? Anyways, yes! That was quick and emotional, and I can't wait to read about the will reading. Very poignant that line you captured. I love both of them. They have good dimension.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Read through Chapter 14 tonight - will line up my thoughts in the morning.

message 32: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am halfway through Chapter 12. Trying to sneak reading in when I can. I shouldn't like (view spoiler)

message 33: by Loriidae (last edited Aug 25, 2018 02:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments I agree re your spoiler, At the time I was thinking Oh no he isn't going to, is he, but as you say it worked well and served to strengthen his respect for Lizzie's character.

Chapter 14 - (view spoiler)

I forgot end of Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Oh I missed your comment about your job, hope that all works out for you.

message 35: by Loriidae (last edited Aug 25, 2018 02:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter 16

Chapter 15 (view spoiler)

Loved the tension in Chapter 16 This is definitely my favourite of the series.

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "I agree re your spoiler, At the time I was thinking Oh no he isn't going to, is he, but as you say it worked well and served to strengthen his respect for Lizzie's character.

Chapter 14 - [spoiler..."

Re> Sorcha: I don’t think she knows yet, but maybe subconsciously on seeing him.

Re Alec: in terms of Lizzie choosing between the two, it does not seem like a competition. She had moved on and doesn’t seem to care to renew that hope. In terms of Alec’s character, I think he is acting as expected for his character.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Yes Alec is acting spoiled and petulant, no depth of care for Lizzie

message 38: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Through Chapter 16

Chapter 15 [spoilers removed]

Loved the tension in Chapter 16 This is definitely my favourite of the series."

This is my favorite too.

I was a bit surprised that Alec was his second, but the scene that occurred at the school was well-done. I like how real consequences happen from poor choices. Also, Lizzie’s reactions are authentic feeling to me.

Ok, on to the next chapters. May try to finish today.

message 39: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Oh I missed your comment about your job, hope that all works out for you."

Thanks! I am excited and nervous, but I think it’s a good move for me.

message 40: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished!

I had a good chunk of time this morning, and I just read it until I was done. I loved this one! While I have liked others, this is my first true hit by GF.

More thoughts later.

message 41: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

So how did you find it in the end? I thought it was well plotted, though that chase at the end was rather insane, it was exciting.

message 42: by Loriidae (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "So how did you find it in the end? I thought it was well plotted, though that chase at the end was rather insane, it was exciting."

Finished - Overall I loved it. I liked the plot. Yes the ending was highly frenetic and rather implausible in places. That little voice at the back of my mind kept saying ....but in reality... I was able to put that mostly aside and go with the flow. I think GF is rather like Kelly Bowen, their writing is so lovely that much can be overlooked.

One person, I don't like is Alec, GF will have to do something special to make me fall for him.

Once you settle in to your new job, let me know and we will plan the next.

message 43: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "So how did you find it in the end? I thought it was well plotted, though that chase at the end was rather insane, it was exciting."

Finished - Overall I loved it. I li..."

Yep, Alec is going to be difficult to redeem. I agree on Kelly Bowen comparison. The writing is what keeps me coming back for both.

I am likely a month or more from the change, and I think I will be taking off two weeks in between so maybe one in September and the last in October. Not too concerned about settling in to it.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "So how did you find it in the end? I thought it was well plotted, though that chase at the end was rather insane, it was exciting."

Finished - Overall..."

Hmm Kelly Bowen is releasing Sept 25 otherwise pick a date that suits :)

message 45: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "So how did you find it in the end? I thought it was well plotted, though that chase at the end was rather insane, it was e..."

Are you wanting to start Bowen’s shortly after the release?

I think I would just plan on starting Galen’s after Bowen’s if that suits. I have been catching up on reading and intend to until we startup on the next one.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "So how did you find it in the end? I thought it was well plotted, though that chase at the end was rather..."

Yes I would like to begin KB pretty much straight away, I am good with going on with GF after that

message 47: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Does it still work for you to start soon?

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Does it still work for you to start soon?"

Yes name the date. :)

message 49: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can start tonight if that works!

message 50: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok, I went ahead and added a link.

« previous 1