Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > Warlight - Michael Ondaajte 4/5

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments Full review will be posted at The Reader's Room

This was mostly a very good book, though I was bored at times there were also times I couldn't wait to get back to it.  The main characters (for me) were not as interesting as the peripheral characters --- The Moth, The Darter, Agnes, and others.  The story was interesting and well-told, dealing with family, love, loyalty, sacrifice and how the people and events in our lives shape us.  

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I just finished it and agree. The audio was very well done. It was my first Ondaatje and I am very keen to read more. What wonderful writing.

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments Next on the list when I’ve finished Snap, which I’m romping through

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7895 comments Nicole D. wrote: "Full review will be posted at The Reader's Room

This was mostly a very good book, though I was bored at times there were also times I couldn't wait to get back to it.  The main characters (for me..."

I am about 1/3 of the way through, and I too have found myself bored-seriously considering not going on. Last month I struggled with my buddy read book and I just cannot have another book like that this month! Thinking I will just set it aside for a few days and see if I really want to go back to it.

message 5: by Booknblues (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:54AM) (new)

Booknblues | 6218 comments I've just started reading it and hope to finish this weekend.

Nicole D. , I seem to be following in your footsteps recently. Just finished There There.

message 6: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments I haven't read There There yet, but am looking forward to it once Booker reads are finished.

message 7: by Booknblues (last edited Aug 03, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

Booknblues | 6218 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I haven't read There There yet, but am looking forward to it once Booker reads are finished."

I thought it was your review which inspired me to move it up....hmmm, I wonder who it was?

Did a search and it was Jen, who encouraged me to read it.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I'm a little more than halfway through and I completely agree that the peripheral characters are most interesting. I think that's intentional though. I love the very atmospheric quality of it all. I haven't read any of his other books, but his style intrigues me.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7895 comments KateNZ wrote: "Next on the list when I’ve finished Snap, which I’m romping through"

Kate, was it you who recommended The Blackstone Key I found it at my library and was going to use for the decathlon-now I cannot find it in the recommendation feed

message 10: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments @Joanna - yes, I recommended ‘The Blackstone Key’. I’ll be interested to know what you think

message 11: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Finished this one tonight, review to come, and was completely captivated. If this is truly only the 5th or 6th best book on the longlist, as some are saying, I can't fathom how incredible the best books are.

message 12: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve read 7/13 JW, and I would say it’s my second favourite of the seven.

message 13: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments So glad you loved it JW! I adored it, but then I am a total Ondaatje fangirl. So probably not surprising that it’s my favourite so far (though I’m finding ‘Everything Under’ entrancing - remarkable book).

I’ll be gobsmacked if Warlight doesn’t make the shortlist, though it may well not win

message 14: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I will be gobsmacked too. It must.

message 15: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Susie wrote: "I’ve read 7/13 JW, and I would say it’s my second favourite of the seven."

What is your favorite? I am intrigued by both The Overstory and Snap.

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve read Snap, Sabrina, In Our Mad and Furious City, Warlight, From a Low and Quiet Sea, The Mars Room, and The Water Cure. My favourite so far has been The Water Cure, but I don’t think it will win.

message 17: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments I’m only 4/13 so far (The Mars Room, Snap, Warlight and Everything Under). Both the last ones should be shortlist contenders, IMO. (Snap is a great story, but not standard Booker literary fare - not that that is a bad thing, lol).

Washington Black is next, and I bought The Overstory yesterday. Just having a quick romp through a library book that I need to return first...

message 18: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments I definitely agree with you about the peripheral characters. I was slightly bored by this book and also vaguely unsatisfied and not attached to the main characters. I generally like Ondaatje and I appreciated the history in this book and the sense that the morality of war, even a war that seemed to have a real moral compass like World War II, is always somewhat gray. But overall this book didn’t quite do it for me. I gave it three stars.

message 19: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments I want everybody to read (and gush about) The Overstory

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Hope wrote: "I definitely agree with you about the peripheral characters. I was slightly bored by this book and also vaguely unsatisfied and not attached to the main characters. I generally like Ondaatje and I ..."

Right there with you, Hope.

I just started From A Low and Quiet Sea. So far, it feels much more up my alley.