Play Book Tag discussion

My Real Name Is Hanna
This topic is about My Real Name Is Hanna
Archive: Other Books > My Real Name Is Hanna by Tara Lynn Masih - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3181 comments My Real Name Is Hanna by Tara Lynn Masih - 5 stars

Wow! What a great book! Loved this historical fiction about a Jewish Ukrainian family that survived WWII by hiding I forests and caves, as told from the perspective of Hanna, a teenage girl. She is relating the story to her child, looking back on her past experiences. This book is based on a true story of Esther Stermer’s family, as recorded in her book We Fight to Survive and a documentary film entitled No Place on Earth.

The book is engrossing and well-crafted. Her prose exudes a simple and discreet beauty. It is one of the few books I’ve read about the events of WWII taking place in the Ukraine, where the populace dealt first with Russian control under Stalin and then the Nazis under Hitler. While concentration camps and slaughter of the Jewish population is referenced, the violent horrors are kept at arm’s length, as befitting a novel targeted toward young adults. I appreciated the author’s descriptions of nature and her ability to tell a moving story, while weaving in appealing flourishes such as Ukrainian folklore and Jewish traditions.

Recommended to anyone interested in stories of survival during the Holocaust of age twelve to adult. I found it a powerful and touching narrative of courage and the will to survive, aided by the kindness of a few good-hearted people.

I received an advance reader’s copy from the publisher via NetGalley in return for a candid review. Release date is September 18, 2018.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I love your review! Truly what a great review. it sounds like a great book. I've added it to my list to read.

Joy D | 3181 comments Rachel wrote: "I love your review! "

Thanks, Rachel! Hope you enjoy it.