The Catholic Book Club discussion

On the God of the Christians: (and on one or two others)
This topic is about On the God of the Christians
On the God of the Christians > God the Father

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1889 comments Mod
How do you understand God as Father? Does this differ from Brague?

Fonch | 1264 comments Well i suppose that i am very confused, while i was reading this part of the book, but i suppose the trinity gets strong the figure of the father. I agrre with Brague and the authors who employs that the bond between three persons is the love. I am not a person with good ideas, but i i have this kind of understanding.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 699 comments He does a masterful job of distinguishing God's Fatherhood from human virility, maleness. I never before thought about the correspondence between God bringing a people into being out of nothing (by covenant) and creating the world, especially male-and-femaleness.
I have traditionally related to God the Father as analogous to my human father--for better and worse.

Fonch | 1264 comments Jill wrote: "He does a masterful job of distinguishing God's Fatherhood from human virility, maleness. I never before thought about the correspondence between God bringing a people into being out of nothing (by..."

I agree with Jill in this topic.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 699 comments I wish he had said more about how to relate to God as Father. After all he doesn't just create us and let us muddle along on our own.

Fonch | 1264 comments I think that the intention of Remi Brague was only to explain the diferences about the view of God in Jews, Christians, and muslims. It is posible that you can demand more. For example the view of diferents christian rites it is not the same. Besides there are more roots in judaism and in the muslims.