The Catholic Book Club discussion

On the God of the Christians: (and on one or two others)
This topic is about On the God of the Christians

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1888 comments Mod
What does Brague mean when he refers to monotheism as dangerous? Do you agree?

Fonch | 1264 comments I agree with Brague in one point. And it is that following the three religions the image o God is really diferent.

Mariangel | 553 comments Brague does not say that monotheism is dangerous. What he says is that the expression "the three monotheisms" is dangerous, because it equalizes three very different religions and discourages further examination of them.

Fonch | 1264 comments Mariangel wrote: "Brague does not say that monotheism is dangerous. What he says is that the expression "the three monotheisms" is dangerous, because it equalizes three very different religions and discourages furth..."

I have the impression that in my memory does nott fail to me that the idea the monotheis is new and it was an idea of an anglican theologist in the 17th century. More than the monotheism the dangerous was the concept of the same.

message 5: by Manuel (last edited Aug 04, 2018 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Manuel Alfonseca | 1512 comments Mod
When Brague says that monotheism is dangerous, he means that there is the danger of interpreting monotheism (the one God) following an image taken from our own experience, such as the emperor of the Roman Empire, or even oneself. This danger was avoided by Christianity, as our image of the One God is the Trinity, which is not amenable to human equivalents. The Trinity is the only image of God that can be true, because it is outside our experience and even our conception.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 697 comments He does a good job of distinguishing religion from magic.

I don't see why someone can't believe God is one without refusing to impose that belief on others by force!

message 7: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1888 comments Mod
Jill wrote: "He does a good job of distinguishing religion from magic.

I don't see why someone can't believe God is one without refusing to impose that belief on others by force!"

I agree with you, Jill. I didn't understand that either.

Fonch | 1264 comments I think that the author do not insist to convert the people for the strenght. The result of this thing it usually negative if you do not accpet the faith for love of for personal conviction. Also if you accept fr interest the result usually is negative.