The Catholic Book Club discussion

On the God of the Christians: (and on one or two others)
This topic is about On the God of the Christians

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1902 comments Mod
In Chapter 2, Brague discusses what it means to know God. Can we ever truly know God in this life? What is Brague pushing at?

Fonch | 1264 comments In my opinion not it is excesive to the human capacity. I agree with the author that it is most important to love God, that we can understand, or know it. It is very interesting the thing that Remi Brague says about Dominicans and Franciscans.

Mariangel | 560 comments Fonch wrote: "I agree with the author that it is most important to love God, that understand"

I was just reading the same from George MacDonald:
"It is not for our understandings, but our will, that Christ came. He who does which he sees, shall understand; he who is set upon understanding rather than doing, shall go stumbling and mistaking and speaking foolishness. The gospel itself and the parables are to be understood only by those who walk by what they find."

message 4: by Mariangel (last edited Aug 03, 2018 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariangel | 560 comments Brague and MacDonald are saying the same thing, that we need to get to know God in God's own terms, not ours. To go find him where He is (go to Australia to see the koalas), and to use the right "sense" to know him (use vision to see colors instead of attempting to hear them).

In fact, when we are dealing with persons, to try to know them on our own terms rather than theirs is an impertinence: (my translation): The believer applies to God a rule of etiquette analogue to the one used by a man of good manners towards others. To "tempt" God is to apply to him a sort of experimental method, demanding Him to show Himself under conditions imposed on Him, without finding out if those conditions are adequate. To "look for God", on the other hand, is to go find Him where He is, to "convert", in the original, Platonic sense of "turning towards the right direction".

Fonch | 1264 comments Mariangel wrote: "Fonch wrote: "I agree with the author that it is most important to love God, that understand"

I was just reading the same from George MacDonald:
"It is not for our understandings, but our will, t..."

I supose Mari Angel that you know how G.K. Chesterton called to George McDonald. He called to George McDonad the Franciscan of Bordighera. He thought that the George McDonald thinking was very close to the francican order.
his is the dierence between Saint Thomas Aquinas, and Saint Bonaventure. In my opinion it is imposible to know God in this life, because the human being has limits, and he can not understand a divine reality.