The Catholic Book Club discussion

On the God of the Christians: (and on one or two others)
This topic is about On the God of the Christians

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1858 comments Mod
In the first Chapter, Brague "disposes" of three trios. Why does he start his book this way?

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 666 comments On the surface, the three religions (or are they even religions, and are there two or three?) seem similar in important ways, but he carefully demonstrates this is not the case, that they understand what it means to say "God is one" in different ways, that their sacred books arose in different ways and play a different role. I found his discussion of the "three books" especially interesting. I had no idea the Quran was the first document written in Arabic. His distinction between "inspiration" and what I'd call factual inerrancy is helpful, especially to a former fundamentalist.

Fonch | 1185 comments Jill wrote: "On the surface, the three religions (or are they even religions, and are there two or three?) seem similar in important ways, but he carefully demonstrates this is not the case, that they understan..."

About this topic i recomend two books Encontré a Cristo en el Corán
by Mario Joseph, Lourdes Martín White (Translator) and the Nabeel Qureshi`s book Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
by Nabeel Qureshi reading these books we would find a lot of surprises.

message 4: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1858 comments Mod
I thought it was interesting, as Jill notes, that the tying together of the three religions as monotheistic was originally intended to discredit them. I thought Brague's point about unity was spot on, though it does seem to me that Islam and Judaism have similar understandings of that unity. Likewise, while it is clear that Islam's understanding of Abraham is very different than either Christian or Jewish understandings, it does seem that there are strong similarities between Christian and Jewish understandings of Abraham, though Christianity's understanding, in light of Christ, could perhaps be said to be more developed?

But in his taking down of the "three religions of the book," he really does bring out the very important differences in how the three religions relate to their scriptures.

Fonch | 1185 comments John wrote: "I thought it was interesting, as Jill notes, that the tying together of the three religions as monotheistic was originally intended to discredit them. I thought Brague's point about unity was spot ..."

In my opinion it is a good idea. You write firstly the ojections and critic against the religions and after replying them. This absolutely necessary beause the atheism lead by Dawkins, Hitchens, Onfray, Pullman, Harris and Denet increase a lot. And more afterwards the terrorist attack o 11st of september. It is interesting the critic of Remi Brague aginst the opposition of the religions. France is the lay country for excellence (not the most atheist country) and the attack against the religions increase for the influence of may 68. Nowadays France is experimented a reject against some theories of 68 may. It is interesting that the people know a bit more to the france apologist Fabrice Hadjdj for me Hadjdj is the best catholic writer of France at this moment. Other as Houllebecq is not catholic but he is very critic with the islamization of France.