The Catholic Book Club discussion

On the God of the Christians: (and on one or two others)
This topic is about On the God of the Christians

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1858 comments Mod
Add quotes that you find meaningful here. If you like include a short explanation (or long, if you prefer) on why it seems meaningful to you.

Fonch | 1184 comments I am not very much of quotes but i love the quote of your author Walker Percy in the novel Love of Ruins. The Jews wait God, the protestant sing hymns, and the catholics celebrate the mass and we eat it :-).

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 665 comments "The vocabulary I criticized gives rise to confusions rather than clarity. It masks real differences underneath a surface harmony...If one wants to have a real dialogue, one must begin by respecting the other. This implies that one understand him as he understands himself taking the words he uses with the meaning he gives them, and accepting the initial situation of disagreement, in order to move forward toward better understanding."

Mariangel | 534 comments Jill, I liked this too.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1437 comments Mod
As I am (re-)reading Brague's book in the French original, I am giving here my English translation of the quotes I have annotated, which may (or may not) agree with other translations.

From chapter 2.II:
God does not reward love with anything but love itself.

From chapter 3.I:
For my part, I have more respect for the "savage" who prostrates before an idol of wood than for the "civilized" who prostrates before himself.

From chapter 6.III:
Only God can "believe in man". And that's exactly what he does.

From chapter 7.I:
to find no sin more interesting than sexual excesses seems to me the symptom of a serious flatness of mind.

From chapter 7.I:
In fact, the choice is not between God and us, but between, on the one hand, a false image of God and of ourselves, and on the other hand the reality of the relationship that binds us to God, namely that God is the place of our fulfillment, our good.

From chapter 7.II:
Chesterton answered a newspaper survey asking: "What is wrong in the world?" By this letter of superb laconism: "Dear sirs, I am. Sincerely yours." And he was right a thousand times.

From chapter 7.II:
Nothing is easier than to congratulate oneself for having resisted temptations that one has never experienced.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 665 comments from ch. 3:
Who are you? "The only true response is: 'You will see...' Moreover, it cannot be given except in an experience rooted in love or friendship. Love consists precisely in the space that is opened, in which the other person can say, or rather, show, what he or she is. Or rather: what he or she will be."

"the unity of God can be confessed and not simply acknowledged, so that it can be the object of a gift of self on the part of the believer."

message 7: by Fonch (last edited Aug 07, 2018 03:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fonch | 1184 comments Manuel wrote: "As I am (re-)reading Brague's book in the French original, I am giving here my English translation of the quotes I have annotated, which may (or may not) agree with other translations.

From chapte..."

I love the Chesterton`s quote comparing the dogmas with field walld. The quote of the letter is rather well. I love the reply of Simone Weill to Afred Vigny (certainly i have not read Simone Weill yet, but i have heard praises of her).

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 665 comments from chapter 5
"God only knows how to give everything."

Mariangel | 534 comments "The highest union is the union of wills, which is not blending, but accord; a union which, far from dissolving the identity of each of its terms, rather increases it."

Manuel Alfonseca | 1437 comments Mod
From chapter 7.II:

Attempts to get rid of an "evil" conceived in this impersonal way, by revolutions, purifications, re-education, have led to monstrosities.

Very true.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 665 comments from ch. 6
"Jesus did not preach morality. He announced forgiveness."

"To believe is to recognize oneself as needy and, by the same token, to receive what one needs."

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 665 comments from ch. 7
'Not to find sin anything more interesting than sexual excess seems to me to be a serious flattening of the spirit."

"God is less the object of love than the space within which I can encounter what (or better: who) to love, to wit: my neighbor...loving one's neighbor because God loves him and makes me capable of loving him."