SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Do you know the name of this time travel novel

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (last edited Aug 02, 2018 04:52PM) (new)

Karin | 773 comments Please help me if you know it. It's been a long, long time since I read it, so I hope I'm not so vague that people think of a myriad of titles. It was written BEFORE 1985, and very likely before 1980, but I don't remember exactly when I read it.

There are two men and I don't remember their names. One finds a way for the other to go back in time, but I don't think there is a machine involved. I don't recall all of the story. Finally, the man who has been travelling back arranges to prevent the meeting of the other man's parents or grandparents so that he can never invent a way for people to travel back in time. I can't remember now if he loves that woman and stays with her or if that is something from a different book, but for sure he stops the inventor from every having been born.

message 2: by Sera (new)

Sera (seracatty) | 25 comments I don't mean this in a way that you aren't allowed to ask here, but if nobody can help you, there is a group called 'what's the name of that book?' filled with topics like this. A lot of them actually get solved. So that may be another option 😊.
It doesn't ring a bell for me, sorry.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 773 comments Sera ~ Catty Reader wrote: "I don't mean this in a way that you aren't allowed to ask here, but if nobody can help you, there is a group called 'what's the name of that book?' filled with topics like this. A lot of them actua..."

Okay, thanks for that tip. If no one here knows I can check there, but thought this might come under lost books.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike Doesn’t sound familiar but maybe this list will help: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...

The book by Alfred Bester (The Men Who Murdered Mohammed) and story by Harry Turtledove (Counting Up, Counting Down) come closest but don’t sound like a match.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 773 comments Trike wrote: "Doesn’t sound familiar but maybe this list will help: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...

The book by Alfred Bester (The Men Who Murdered Mohammed)..."

Thanks for the link--I found it! It's Time and Again by Jack Finney from 1970. I checked the synopsis and this is it exactly, because I remembered quite a bit about it for a long time, just not the title or author. Now I'm going to see if I read any of his other books or not.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments Congratulations of finding the book. I know how aggravating it can be trying to find a specific book from your past. Imagine if we didn't have such a wonderful resource as GR. ;-)

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike That book was actually my first thought, but it didn’t quite match your description.

message 8: by Karin (last edited Aug 03, 2018 06:04PM) (new)

Karin | 773 comments Trike wrote: "That book was actually my first thought, but it didn’t quite match your description."

My description was NOT well written, and after over 40 years I mainly remembered the hypnotist and the protagonist and that the protagonist loved the woman from the past and a few other things, but edited some of my description out (like the problem with someone changing the present because someone made a change to the past), so it came out garbled. However, the synopsis I found was instantly familiar. I read prolifically in high school so this isn't unusual for me to have it muddled in a description.

I went to both middle and high school in the 1970s. I read my first scifi book early in the decade as I was a precocious reader who met another girl who was a precocious reader and introduced me to Robert Heinlein's scifi (NOT the stuff for younger readers, although I did read a couple of those eventually) with a book she loaned me.

message 9: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Sounds interesting, would like to read that at some point! :)

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2287 comments Dawn wrote: "Sounds interesting, would like to read that at some point! :)"

It's a touchstone classic, popular among ppl who don't generally read SF.

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 412 comments Jack Finney used the time-travel theme in multiple works, in fact. It was obviously a trope that interested him.

message 12: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 59 comments Ahh, the book and author who inspired 11/22/63.

message 13: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1436 comments There was also a sequel, From Time to Time.