Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] Suggestions for 7th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 03, 2018 05:46PM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "second" per user
- Suggestions close after 15 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not balanced at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety
- We are now allowing linked prompts within the regular polls (2-3 total prompts). We are slightly behind in the total number of prompts due to some polls resulting in fewer than 4 results. So do not worry about the effect that linked prompts will have on our timeframe.
- If you suggested or seconded a topic in the 6th mini-poll, please wait until 7:00pm EST on Friday to suggest in this one.
- Suggestions can only be submitted a total of 3 times. If a suggestion has been entered 2 times, you must wait until at least the 10th mini-poll to re-submit.
So far this includes:
* A Man Booker Prize Winner or Nominee
* A book related to a zodiac sign
* A book by an author from an island
* A fiction and non-fiction book on the same topic
* A book from the ATY list of "lesser known" books

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 15 seconded suggestions are received.

Poll Entries
1. A "light" book (easy, fun, entertaining) and a "heavy" book (deep, thought provoking, or dark)
2. A book with a character who has the same personality type as you
3. A work of social/political satire
4. A book recommended by Bill Gates
5. A book by an author who has a form of punctuation in their name
6. A book from a new/emerging genre (Cli-fi, bizzaro, interactive fiction...)
7. A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity
8. 2 books from 2 different sides of an issue/event/perspective
9. A Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction winner or shortlist
10. A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.)
11. A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country
12. A book about a relationship other than romantic (parent/child, sibling, friendship, human/animal, etc.)
13. A Bildungsroman (coming-of-age story)
14. A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject)
15. A book with a monster or "monstrous" character

Available to be Seconded:
- A book by an author whose first name is more commonly a last name and/or whose last name is more commonly a first name.
- A book that follows a journey (a physical, emotional or spiritual journey)

message 2: by °~Amy~° (last edited Aug 02, 2018 04:12PM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Laura wrote: "The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

How it will work:
T..."

Are we allowing anyone to post suggestions at this point or asking people who suggested or seconded last time to wait 24 hours?

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Yes, we can go ahead and impose a rule for people to wait.

So if you suggested or seconded a topic in the 6th mini-poll, please wait until 7:00pm EST on Friday to suggest in this one.

message 4: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments I’d like to submit: a book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country

message 5: by Perri (new)

Perri | 781 comments A "light" book (easy, fun, entertaining)
and a "heavy" book (deep, thought provoking, or dark)

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie | 707 comments I'll see if I can get my words right for this!

A book by an author whose first name is more commonly a last name and/or whose last name is more commonly a first name.

message 7: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Perri, you seconded a book in the 6th mini-poll so you will need to wait 24 hours to enter that suggestion.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2219 comments I'll submit Perri's choice. I like it.

A "light" book (easy, fun, entertaining)
and a "heavy" book (deep, thought provoking, or dark)

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 440 comments How about a book with a character who has the same personality type as you. Here are a couple lists with the personality types of fictional characters.

https://www.adventureassoc.com/myers-...

https://bookriot.com/2016/01/28/myer-...

message 10: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 787 comments I'll second the light and heavy books.

message 11: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments Ohhhh I know I can’t second now but I really like the personality one that’s so interesting

message 12: by Perri (new)

Perri | 781 comments Laura wrote: "Perri, you seconded a book in the 6th mini-poll so you will need to wait 24 hours to enter that suggestion."

OOps sorry and after you had bold instructed it :P

message 13: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

It's okay, it was a late rule addition :)

message 14: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 02, 2018 05:03PM) (new)

message 15: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 33 comments I'd like to submit: Read a book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject)

message 16: by Katherine (new)

Katherine McKenzie | 36 comments I will second a book with a character who has the same personality type as you.

message 17: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 253 comments Laura wrote: "A work of social/political satire

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/..."

I will second this.

message 18: by Rose (new)

Rose (rosew77) | 58 comments I'd like to submit Walter Scott Prize winner or shortlist for historical fiction.

message 19: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments An author who has a form of punctuation in their name (exa: Madeleine L'Engle, J.K. Rowling, an author who has a hyphen in their first or last name).

message 20: by Ana A (last edited Aug 02, 2018 08:17PM) (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 491 comments A book recommended by Bill Gates.

He reads a mix of things from a biography of Leonardo Da Vinci to The Hunger Games. Link: GatesNotes

So far we only have one 2019 category for "recommendations/lists"

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill | 572 comments Ana A wrote: "A book recommended by Bill Gates.

He reads a mix of things.

Link: GatesNotes

So far we only have one 2019 category for "recommendations/lists""

I will second this suggestion. A lot of books on the list are books I want to read or have read.

message 22: by Bec (new)

Bec | 774 comments I second - A book by an author who has a form of punctuation in their name

message 23: by dalex (last edited Aug 02, 2018 08:46PM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Ana A wrote: "A book recommended by Bill Gates. Link: GatesNotes"

You can also see the list of the Bill Gates recommendations
HERE. This website organizes the books by topic. FYI, his list is about 99% nonfiction (12 fiction on a list of 185 titles).

message 24: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments A book from a new/emerging genre (Cli-fi, bizzaro, interactive fiction...)

There are lots of articles about new genres, here are a couple:

https://kasmin.wordpress.com/2017/06/...

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/enterta...

message 25: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 491 comments dalex wrote: "Ana A wrote: "A book recommended by Bill Gates. Link: GatesNotes"

You can also see the list of the Bill Gates recommendations
HERE. This website organizes the books by topic. FYI, his list is abou..."

Thanks, dalex. That list is useful. Yeah, it is mostly nonfic, but the point of challenges is to be challenging. :D Most of us here (including myself) probably have a reverse ratio of fiction to non-fiction than what Bill Gates has.

But the few fiction pieces are there for those who'd still want to choose them, if my entry wins in the votes.

message 26: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I second a book from a new/emerging genre

message 27: by Nadja (last edited Aug 03, 2018 02:31AM) (new)

Nadja | 214 comments I loved the identity prompt from last round so I like to suggest it again:

A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 28: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 491 comments We currently have 6 poll entries (seconded suggestions):

1. A light book and a heavy book
2. Character with the same personality type as you
3. Social/political satire
4. Bill Gates recommendation
5. Author with punctuation in their name
6. New/emerging genre

message 29: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Good morning, everyone :) The list in the main topic is now updated.

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) I would like to suggest a book with a title or cover related to food

message 31: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 471 comments Lisa wrote: "I would like to suggest a book with a title or cover related to food"

Second this!

message 32: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Lisa, since you suggested something in the last poll, you have to wait until 7PM EST time tonight to suggest something again.

Since it has already been seconded, I can take Avery's "second" as a suggestion. So that one just needs to be "seconded" now. If that makes any sense at all...

message 33: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Can we consider limiting title/cover prompts? At least for a bit. I know we are early on, but right now 1/4 of the list is just cover and title focused.

message 34: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Manda wrote: "Can we consider limiting title/cover prompts? At least for a bit. I know we are early on, but right now 1/4 of the list is just cover and title focused."

Perhaps the "cover or title related to food" could be expanded to include plot also?

message 35: by dalex (last edited Aug 03, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Ana A wrote: "Yeah, it is mostly nonfic, but the point of challenges is to be challenging. :D Most of us here (including myself) probably have a reverse ratio of fiction to non-fiction than what Bill Gates has.."

I just wanted to point it out to the "not non-fiction" readers in the group so they'd know up front without having to looking at the list to discover that information. Also, everyone has a different idea of what makes the challenge challenging. Not everybody thinks that means you should have to read a book you have zero interest in.

*Just in case my tone comes across wrong in this message.....please know I meant it politely. :) I realize it sounds kind of attacky but that is not intended!

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 797 comments Nadja wrote: "I loved the identity prompt from last round so I like to suggest it again:

A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3......"

I will second this, I loved this as well.

message 37: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Read books from two sides of an issue/event/perspective.

So you could read books about a war written from two different sides, an American and a Vietnamese author about the Vietnam War for example.

You could read a book about getting marriage and another about getting divorced.

You could read a book involving death and another involving birth.

You could read books from opposing political viewpoints.

You could read about someone losing their faith and then another person finding it.

A book about hunting and a book about conservation.

A book about oil and gas and then a book about solar power.

A book about a dystopia and one about a utopia.

A book narrated by a young person and one by an old one.

message 38: by Avery (last edited Aug 03, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 471 comments Laura wrote: "Lisa, since you suggested something in the last poll, you have to wait until 7PM EST time tonight to suggest something again.

Since it has already been seconded, I can take Avery's "second" as a ..."

Laura, can I alter the suggestion a bit to say "a book title/cover/plot relating to food"?

This could include books like The Dinner List, Lightweight, Kitchen Confidential, Baby Teeth (lollypop on cover), etc.

message 39: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Chinook wrote: "Read books from two sides of an issue/event/perspective.

So you could read books about a war written from two different sides, an American and a Vietnamese author about the Vietnam War for exampl..."

I made a suggestion last week so I am not able to second at this time but I just want to say I love Chinook's suggestion!

I was thinking of making a food related suggestion as well so I'm glad that one is in the poll, especially if it's expanded to include plot.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 547 comments Chinook wrote: "Read books from two sides of an issue/event/perspective.

So you could read books about a war written from two different sides, an American and a Vietnamese author about the Vietnam War for exampl..."

I will second this one!

message 41: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 451 comments I will second the historical fiction /Walter Scot idea : I don't think we've had many prompts that lead in that direction and I'd like to read something historical for a change

message 42: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments I will second the book title/ cover/ plot relating to food prompt!

message 43: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7222 comments Mod
Oh no! I missed the opening of this. Can one of the mods post in the announcements?

message 44: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 03, 2018 12:00PM) (new)

Seconded Suggestions:

- A "light" book (easy, fun, entertaining) and a "heavy" book (deep, thought provoking, or dark)
- A book with a character who has the same personality type as you
- A work of social/political satire
- A book recommended by Bill Gates
- A book by an author who has a form of punctuation in their name
- A book from a new/emerging genre (Cli-fi, bizzaro, interactive fiction...)
- A book with a title/ cover/ plot relating to food
- A Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction winner or shortlist
- 2 books from two sides of an issue/event/perspective
- A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity

Available to be Seconded:

- A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country
- A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject)
- A book by an author whose first name is more commonly a last name and/or whose last name is more commonly a first name.

message 45: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments I believe these 4 suggestions have been seconded bringing the total up to 10.

- A Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction winner or shortlist
- A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity
- Read books from two sides of an issue/event/perspective.
- A book title/cover/plot relating to food

I also noticed the suggestion from message 6 was not added to the list or see a note that person had to wait to make a suggestion.

A book by an author whose first name is more commonly a last name and/or whose last name is more commonly a first name.

message 46: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 609 comments A book about a relationship other than romantic (parent/child, sibling, friendship, human/animal, etc.)

message 47: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 03, 2018 12:01PM) (new)

Jillian, I updated the list in my post (message 44)! Thanks for catching that author's name prompt.

message 48: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments Thanks!

message 49: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Jillian, that's so odd. It must have been posted at the perfect time to where I completed missed it. Thanks for the catch!

message 50: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I reworded a few of the prompts, including the food prompt and the book about two perspectives. Feedback has been given about simplifying the prompts as much as possible so I took away any signifier for the food prompt and then just changed the perspctive prompt so that it fits a little more with our typical wording. Obviously let me know if there is an issue with wording.

I'd rather have changes occur now so that preferred prompts get voted in :)

« previous 1