EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Challenges 2018 > Week 31 Check In

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 817 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

I had Warrior Dash over the weekend so I did not have that much reading time.

I finished up The Three-Body Problem - This was for Read Harder, a book of genre fiction in translation. I enjoyed it pretty well, interesting premise for some sci fi. It was translated from Chinese, and I appreciated the translators notes for some touchstones of Chinese history, as well as a few technical references that were over my head. Not sure how much i can really explain about it without giving away key plot points, but it was pretty different than most first contact type books that i've read.

Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer - Read Harder's book that you hated or didn't finish in school. Man I hate prompts like this, haha. I get the point is to revisit stuff you hated in the past to see if your tastes have matured...but yeah. It did NOT work. I finished it this time, but I didn't like it any better. It was only 100 or so pages, but they were very painful 100 pages. I also soldiered through the Secret Sharer because it was first, and I figured it was only another 60 some pages..probably should have just skipped it. It was also a pretty pointless read. I just.. really don't like his writing.

Currently reading The Surgeon for ATY's medical thriller. I have mixed feelings so far. The plot's moving along pretty quickly, liking the leads so far. But I can tell it's a bit of an older book, and some of the things mentioned really grate on me. The killer attacks women and surgically removes their uterus while they're alive, before killing them. That's kind of gross enough. But they've already mention several times that he "removed the one thing that makes them a woman" which i just find very problematic. One, it negates trans women entirely. Also, what about women who have to get hysterectomies? they are suddenly not women? I just find that commentary very offputting. Also some of the gendered language is kind of outdated too. Described someone's home as having floral wall paper that "no man would pick out", things like that. However the overall story is interesting enough, and Rizzoli is fighting against the sexism of being the lone woman homicide detective on a team of men, so that's an interesting element.

Question of the week is from Kristy, who wanted to know what book written in 2018 are you most looking forward to reading, whether already released or coming soon.

I was really looking forward to Children of Blood and Bone, but i read that already haha. It was quite good. I'd say Starless, I love jaquline Carey's writing. Also Spinning Silver, I LOVED Uprooted, and this is in the same vein as it.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 254 comments Ooh Sheri, tell me about a Warrior Dash. It sounds like a Spartan. I've done two Spartan Sprints. I've done the Fenway "Clean" Spartan and the Miami Spartan Sprint. Have you done any of those? How is Warrior Dash different than Spartan or are they similar?

I'm currently reading my first BOTM choice from back in January. It is As Bright as Heaven. I'm enjoying it so far. It is about a family that immigrates during WWI from Europe to Philadelphia. Each chapter is from the POV of one of the three daughters or the mother. I'm only far enough in that the foundation is just being laid. I'm sure I'll have more to report next week.

QOTW: I got nothin'. I'm more reactive than proactive with books. I'll browse the "New Books" shelves at the library and usually find something completely unlike anything I'd often read. I don't usually follow anything in particular. Or take a list and see what's available.

message 3: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 817 comments Mod
Susan,

I think Spartan races are way more intense! Warrior Dash is a mud obstacle run, but it’s only about a 5k and the obstacles are geared more towards being accessible to a wide range of ability. I find it to be a fun challenge, but it’s not something that makes me worried I won’t finish an obstacle. It’s more about having fun and getting filthy, the final obstacle is belly crawling under barbed wire through a mud field the consistency of oatmeal. You come out completely COATED!

message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 817 comments Mod
Oh, and no I haven’t done any Spartans! I think those are a little too intense for me, although this year there is one in Michigan. I’ve considered Tough Mudder, but never got around to signing up for one.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 207 comments Mod
Hello All,

QOTW first, because Susan basically said what I was going to say. I really only anticipate a book coming out if it's the next in a series that I'm already reading, although I did really look forward to getting my hands on Norse Mythology last year. Other than that, I tend to just discover things that are already in print.

For reading this week, I finished Away, as planned. I talked about it a lot last week, so nothing to add here except I enjoyed it as a re-read.

I also read The Ocean at the End of the Lane as the Goodreads prompt for a past Goodreads award winner. What a delightful book! I read it pretty quickly and enjoyed every word of it. I'm basically at the point now where I'm going to read everything by Neil Gaiman that I can get my hands on. I love his stuff!

I've begun listening to A Scanner Darkly as my cyberpunk book, but I'm not entirely sold that listening to it is the way to go. It seems a bit disjointed and hard to follow, so I may end up checking out the physical book instead. We'll see. I'm only about 20 minutes in, so I'll give it another hour before I decide.

Finally, I'm reading Uncomfortably Happily as my prompt for a book written by an author of a different ethnicity than you. This is a graphic novel (and quite a large one, too!) about a young Korean couple who move from Seoul to the country so that they can enjoy clean air and he can work on his comic illustrations and graphic novel writing in peace. However, so far they're finding that there are just as many distractions in the country and the city. I'm really enjoying it so far and love how the author (the book is autobiographical) so easily illustrates his state of mind when it comes to the pressures and distractions of real life.

Sheri--congrats on making it through Heart of Darkness. I know that's one you've been dreading for a while!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 254 comments Sheri, my friends and I do not have intense Spartans. We're only doing it as a team and one of the most important things is posing in our great matching T-shirts and taking photos!! Our motto is "there are no burpee police". The two I've done, our team has finished 2nd last because we're having a blast. It is a total team effort. Don't get me wrong, we're helping each other and trying every obstacle, but we're not in it for time and I (and several other friends) don't run, at all. But I can power walk with the best of them. Spartan Sprints are shorter, I think 4-5 miles at most.

message 7: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 817 comments Mod
Susan,

Oh ok, are they not officially Spartan branded? I was looking at the official website, they looked pretty intense and hard core! But maybe I missed the sprints part, or the sprints haven't come to Michigan.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 254 comments They are definitely Spartan branded, Sprints are part of the Spartan "trifecta". They're just the shortest race type Spartan offers and it sounds very similar to your Warrior Dash. There is a Sprint coming to Michigan in late Sept. https://www.spartan.com/en/race/detai...

And to the rest of you, apologies for commandeering the thread with non-book chatter!