Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > ON HIATUS Available to Read YA/New Adult/Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Paranormal

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited May 01, 2020 04:59AM) (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments UPDATED May 1st 2020

ON HIATUS

——-

Hi,

I am available to beta read young adult, new adult, fantasy, science fiction and paranormal projects, though I will consider other genres.

I would prefer to read complete manuscripts, however, I will consider partial drafts/sample chapters.

I will read your work and offer general comments or also answer specific questions (if you have them). If you like I will also make any proofreading corrections I spot on the way, though be warned I am not the best with spelling/grammar.

Please comment here or send me a PM if you are interested.

Thank you,

Rebecca

message 2: by Zack (new)

Zack | 13 comments HI Rebecca,

I'd love to have you read my completed Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel. I'm looking for more story, character, and plot feedback, so you sound perfect. :)

Synopsis:

Phereniki Nix is one of the most respected astronauts of her generation, and finds herself tasked with finding a new habitable planet for her people. When she and her partner Kai are sent on an exploratory mission into an unknown spacial rift, they are suddenly transported to a star system hundreds of light years away. In this system lies Relekep, a world seemingly perfect for them. The only problem: it's already inhabited.
A young Relek named Adriel dreams of adventure and exploration, something very uncommon on his tranquil world with its predictable people. But something new is starting to happen. A group of Releks called the Vappa have begun causing disturbances, disrupting the peaceful society with a strange new idea called religion.
What can the peace loving Releks do against the Vappa and their vicious new leader?
Can Phereniki co-exist with the Releks and prove to them that her people can live alongside them in peace? And can Adriel win Phereniki's heart despite their interplanetary differences?
Thrust into a perilous new world full of powerful enemies, Phereniki and Adriel find themselves working together - unlikely hero's in a race against destruction.

Email me if you're free and interested:
zackawheeler@gmail.com

Thanks!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Zack wrote: "HI Rebecca,

I'd love to have you read my completed Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel. I'm looking for more story, character, and plot feedback, so you sound perfect. :)

Synopsis:

Phereniki Nix is one of the ..."

Hi Zack,

I have sent you an email. Please let me know if you don't receive it (sent from rebereads@gmail.com).

Rebecca

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 24 comments Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for offering to read, it's not easy to find beta readers and feedback is always useful.

Would you be interested in my book, Featherwall? It's fantasy, but low (no active magic, no kings/queens/knights) . A synopsis is below:

Driven through a harsh land by an unkind Mumma and a father laid low, Tad wants nothing more than to heal his father and go back the happy life he remembers--and that means going forward, ever forward, down the road to Featherwall. Slowed by bandits, besieged by heat and hounded by disease, thirst and hunger, Tad finds himself squaring off in a battle of wills with an unexpected opponent: Mumma, who seems content to stop short of their goal.

Finally arriving at the desert town of Featherwall, awestruck by its mile-high wings and mighty water towers, Tad finds his mother lied to him--the highmen cannot heal his father. But where one path closes, another opens: the fabled tears of the winged man, around whose gargantuan wings the town is built, are said to grant any wish. Thousands brave the desert and the bloody festival for a chance to capture those tears and change their lives. Bound by necessity, shackled by poverty and caught up in forces he does not understand, Tad must now risk all to do the same.

If you'd like to see some sample chapters before deciding, just let me know here or at bobriviera@gmail.com.

I have a trilogy of Sci-Fi (space opera) novels as well, if that's of more interest.

Thanks!

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Thomas wrote: "Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for offering to read, it's not easy to find beta readers and feedback is always useful.

Would you be interested in my book, Featherwall? It's fantasy, but low (no active magic,..."

Hi Thomas,

I have sent you an email (from rebereads@gmail.com).

Please let me know if you don't receive it.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 24 comments Hi Rebecca,

Sorry!
I mis-typed my email address!

It's actually bobriviera79@gmail.com

Hope you won't mind to forward to the right address.
Thanks!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Thomas wrote: "Hi Rebecca,

Sorry!
I mis-typed my email address!

It's actually bobriviera79@gmail.com

Hope you won't mind to forward to the right address.
Thanks!"

That's no problem, I have resent it.

Rebecca

message 8: by Ivy (new)

Ivy | 33 comments Rebecca wrote: "Update (4th Aug): CURRENTLY FULL until the 1st of October 2018 - but please comment, send a message or email me at rebereads@gmail.com if you would like to be added to my wait list.

Hi,

I am ava..."

I'm interested in your offer. I completed 192 page multicultural young adult fiction literature book. It is double-spaced, Times New Roman, I'll upload to google docs if it is more convenient for you

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Ivy wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Update (4th Aug): CURRENTLY FULL until the 1st of October 2018 - but please comment, send a message or email me at rebereads@gmail.com if you would like to be added to my wait list...."

Hi,

Do you have a synopsis I could read? And could you tell me word count please?

I currently have no space until October, but provided I think the manuscript would suit me, I would be happy to add you to my waitlist.

Please send me a message or email me at rebereads@gmail.com if you are interested.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments I am now no longer on hiatus and am available to beta read. Please comment here, send me a PM, or email me at rebereads@gmail.com if you are interested.

message 11: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 130 comments Hi Rebecca,

"A Weekend Trip from the Afterlife" tells the dark but comedic story of Joe, an underachiever young lad, and his great great great grandfather's ghost who comes to his visit for one weekend. It takes place in 2080, at a time when global warming, pollution, and human-caused natural disasters have wrecked the modern world, yet the consumers' culture is still intact. The ghost, referred to as sepia man, tries to get a grip on the new technology, fashion, unsanitary living conditions, lack of clean air and water, and above all, how people can still live their lives as if everything is normal under such circumstances throughout the story.

The world has gone through a natural cataclysm and is ruled by a capitalistic dystopia. Old skyscrapers lie more than halfway below the poisonous, risen, zombie fish lurking seawater, and the sun rays are scorching. It’s impossible to walk on the quays that make the streets outside without wearing portable tents.

Joe and sepia man get mocked, are lectured, and have the worst time of their lives and deaths throughout the tragically comedic story. The ghost questions Joe and his family about wars waged, and mass murdering atomic bombs. They talk about the past, books, and love.

The story is a contemporary one, mixed with single drops of sci-fi and fantasy: The future, and a ghost. It is 56,000(ish) words and is meant to be the first part of a five book series. I believe it is somehow similar in tone to Douglas Adam’s "A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" series (with its “pessimistic on a healthy dose” sense of humor), and Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s "The Little Prince".

I can send you the MS if it picks your interest.

Hope to hear from you.

Cordially,

Ali Benice

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Harper | 6 comments Hi Rebecca,
I have a 136,000 word completed Fantasy novel I'd love you to take a look at! It's the first in a completed six-book series. It has a slow building romance across the series. If you're interested, I can send you more info! Feel free to reach me at: harperkellyann@gmail.com

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Ali wrote: "Hi Rebecca,

"A Weekend Trip from the Afterlife" tells the dark but comedic story of Joe, an underachiever young lad, and his great great great grandfather's ghost who comes to his visit for one we..."

Hi Ali,

I have sent you a PM.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments KH wrote: "Hi Rebecca,
I have a 136,000 word completed Fantasy novel I'd love you to take a look at! It's the first in a completed six-book series. It has a slow building romance across the series. If you're..."

Hey,

I have sent you an email. Let me know if you don’t get it.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Brown | 68 comments Hi, Rebecca,
If you're still looking, I'm looking for a BetaReader (or two) for "Fallout," my 109,000 word adult near-future science fiction.

Blurb: Tenjō Edwards, a husband, father, and professor of History who was denied tenure despite his expertise in Cold War nuclear strategy, has opened a martial arts school in a suburb of a near-future Los Angeles. When a nuclear bomb detonates across the city, Tenjō knows the survival of his daughters and the others sheltering at his dojo requires keeping them together. However, their safety isn’t enough when his wife is lost somewhere deep in the evacuation zone, compelling him to leave the security of his dojo to find her, even if it means navigating a maze of radioactive fallout, martial law, and opportunistic thugs.

Agent: None/need at least one more big revision before I'm ready to query.

Last books read: Revenger, Alastair Reynolds (2016), Fortress of Eagles, C.J. Cherryh (1998), The Book of Phoenix, Nnedi Okorafor (2010/2015), FALL, Neal Stephenson (2019)

Books that define me? King's Gunslinger, CJ Cherryh's Cyteen, Gaiman's American Gods, KS Robinson's Three Californias, but I've also loved lately reading Leckie, Adeyemi, Doctorow, Bacigalupi, Valdes, Chakraborty, N.K. Jemisin, and others.

Email me if interested: tonchyaku@gmail.com

Thanks!
Robert

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee Peyregne (reneepeyregne) | 4 comments Hi Rebecca, I have a completed YA ghost novella; first in what will be an ongoing series (I am currently ½ through the second book). I would appreciate a professional and communicative Beta Reader.
• Title: JEZ Ghost Negotiators Presents: The Screaming Lady
• Words: 25K
• Genres: YA Fantasy
• Full manuscript
• Asking for: Constructive Criticism
• Synopsis: A set of mentally interconnected triplets have formed a ghost negotiating business to assist mortal and paranormal alike to live comfortably in the same existence. In this adventure they meet with a Ghost that lets out a blood-curdling scream at everyone that comes into “Remy’s Diner.” The town people are afraid to come into the Diner. Remy needs help or he will lose his diner, a Diner that has been in his family for generations. He calls on JEZ Ghost Negotiators, can they help Remy? Will they figure out who the Screaming Lady is in time to save Remy’s Diner?
• Please email me if you are interested in Beta reading my manuscript; reneepeyregne@gmail.com.
• Thank you

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Renee wrote: "Hi Rebecca, I have a completed YA ghost novella; first in what will be an ongoing series (I am currently ½ through the second book). I would appreciate a professional and communicative Beta Reader...."

Hi,

I have sent you an email. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Robert wrote: "Hi, Rebecca,
If you're still looking, I'm looking for a BetaReader (or two) for "Fallout," my 109,000 word adult near-future science fiction.

Blurb: Tenjō Edwards, a husband, father, and professor..."

Hi,

I have sent you an email. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 19: by J.F. (new)

J.F. Baptista (jesslopes) | 4 comments Hi Rebecca,

I have a clean draft of the first book (around 107000 words) in a fantasy series, written in two alternated 3POV. I still have to do some line editing and proofreading but for now, I'm looking for some feedback on the storyline and character development. I would love for you to consider me for your list :)

The blurb (as of now):

As the world loses its power, hers awakens.

Six-year-old Theodora grew up at the House, a place for girls born without power. Abandoned as a baby, she has no memory of her past beyond the comforting melody that haunts her dreams.

So when an ancient power starts whispering in her ear, she answers. And with blue fire that lights up the night sky, destroys the only life she has ever known.

But with the heavy loss comes a new beginning. A silver-bearded giant. A transporting map. An approaching war.

The way to keep her changing power from destroying it all again?

And with it, the purpose of a shadow warrior.

Elite warrior and occasional assassin, Kai has spent over a century happily in the shadows. As the son of a traitor and the most powerful of his kind in existence, he doesn’t trust himself outside of them.

But when an inexplicable restlessness replaces his usual coolness, the consequences will go well beyond his mood. It starts with a decapitated head in a dark alley...

A group of rebels. A treacherous act. A quest for vengeance.

The claiming of his rightful place?

message 20: by Leah (new)

Leah Elise Turner (12signholders) | 53 comments Hi Rebecca,

Yes, please add me to your waiting list. I would love for your honest feedback on my 80,000 word YA contemporary fantasy.

Fifteen-year-old Waken is a Sign Holder—a person sworn to protect his Zodiac Sign from those called DeSindents. Waken’s Sign, Sagittarius, gives him the power to control fire and find any lost object with a moving tattoo. But all Waken wants is to survive high school undetected, while living peacefully in Wichita, Kansas, that is until his annoying cousin Alex (also a Sign Holder) gets noticed by a pair of DeSindents pretending to be classmates.

As Alex comes under attack during a party after school, Waken is forced to save his life but accidentally grabs a DeSindent weapon in the process. Suddenly, Waken’s powers are amplified. He becomes stronger than ever before and is even able to drive away the DeSindents. But when Waken lets go of the weapon, he is filled with a dark energy that makes him ruthless. Unpredictable. And a complete danger to his family.

Matters get worse over time when Waken develops unbearable headaches and crazy thoughts about killing Sign Holders. Realizing what he is capable of, Waken must decide to either stick around and try his frightening new abilities against his enemies, but risk being the one to hurt his family. Or go away so that he is no longer a threat, but also leave his kind without the advantage they need to fight back and end their persecution.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Leah Turner

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick | 40 comments Hi Rebecca,

If you are available any time soon I would really appreciate the feedback of a beta reader.

I have a fantasy novel (145k) with YA protagonist that I am hoping for a beta to read before I am hopefully able to take it further. I would really appreciate the views of someone who has an interest in the genre, as it seems you do.

Blurb - The White, with its relentless cold and ice, would ravage the land of Arden for the first three years of every five. It was with those ominous snow clouds cresting the mountains of Messemmi, that nine-year-old orphan Priya, and her younger brother Reed, passed into the capital. They unwittingly stepped into a world of poverty and privilege . A world of muskets and swords . A world of ambition and darkness. It was a world in which Priya and Reed would find themselves fighting for both their lives and their freedom. An unfolding battle that would see them at odds with Arden's Emir and his army of Brass. With a lot of luck, and a little magi, it was a world that Priya and Reed were destined to change forever, or die trying.

Please let me know if this is anything you would be interested in reading.

Many thanks

Nick

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Jessica wrote: "Hi Rebecca,

I have a clean draft of the first book (around 107000 words) in a fantasy series, written in two alternated 3POV. I still have to do some line editing and proofreading but for now, I'm..."

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Right now I am not taking on any new projects or adding to my waitlist.

I wish you all the best with your project and hope you can find/have found betareads.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Leah wrote: "Hi Rebecca,

Yes, please add me to your waiting list. I would love for your honest feedback on my 80,000 word YA contemporary fantasy.

Fifteen-year-old Waken is a Sign Holder—a person sworn to pr..."

Hi Leah,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Thank you for reaching out, but right now I am not taking on any new projects. I am also not adding to my waitlist as I don't want people to be waiting indefinitely.

I wish you all the best with your project.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (nakceb) | 19 comments Nick wrote: "Hi Rebecca,

If you are available any time soon I would really appreciate the feedback of a beta reader.

I have a fantasy novel (145k) with YA protagonist that I am hoping for a beta to read befor..."

Hi Nick,

Thank you for reaching out to me.

Right now I am not taking on any new projects and I have closed my waitlist, sorry.

I wish you all the best with your project and hope you can find a betareader.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris Cook | 20 comments Hi! I am in the search of the beta reader for the first chapter of my sci-fi novel.
Plot: Girl meets young alien boy
For beta readers, I have a small questioner after reading. The questions are mostly about the story itself.
If interested, please DM me or send e-mail chris.cook0275@gmail.com