Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Historical Fantasy set in Ancient World, 65K

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Massa | 16 comments Hi. I would love 2-4 beta readers for the second book in an historical fantasy set in the ancient world. This one takes place in Alexandria at the time of the famous Lighthouse and Library. It can be read as standalone.

Here are two beta versions of the blurb...

v1.
All the knowledge of the world was gathered in Alexandria. Surely that must include knowledge of magic.
Escaping captivity in lower Egypt, Korax arrives in the Greek capital with an adopted identity. Determined to hone his magic skills, he joins a society of scholars and mystics from many lands. He meets and falls in love with Kalyssa, the wife of an ambassador to the royal court.
Inspired by his love, Korax attempts a series of dangerous rituals to draw down the power of the Sun God. But Kalyssa’s first loyalty is to Carthage, and Korax finds himself embroiled in a plot to topple the king and bring war to Egypt.
“You are sailing into deep waters now, soothsayer. Tonight is not an entertainment.”

v2
Magic, intrigue, love, and betrayal in the greatest city of the ancient world.
Korax has come to Alexandria in the guise of a Greek student. With the aim of mastering his gifts, he joins a society of scholars and magicians from many lands. He falls in love with Kalyssa, priestess and wife an ambassador to the royal court.
Inspired by his love, Korax attempts a series of dangerous rituals to raise the power of the Sun God. But Kalyssa’s first loyalty is to Carthage, and Korax finds himself embroiled in a plot to topple the king.
Can his magic right the course of events—or will the beautiful city be ravaged by war?

Many thanks.

- Jack

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard This sounds very interesting Jack. May I be a beta reader on this title?

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack Massa | 16 comments Richard wrote: "This sounds very interesting Jack. May I be a beta reader on this title?"
Thanks so much. Just sent you a message.

message 4: by David (new)

David Wilson | 95 comments Sounds interesting Jack (as I'm working on a historical fantasy also). I just offered to beta for someone else - if they don't take me up I'm yours.

I like V2 blurb better

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack Massa | 16 comments David wrote: "Sounds interesting Jack (as I'm working on a historical fantasy also). I just offered to beta for someone else - if they don't take me up I'm yours.

I like V2 blurb better"

Thanks, David. Let me know.

message 6: by Boris (new)

Boris | 11 comments Hi Jack. Are you still looking for beta readers? I love ancient history and I would be happy to give your work a try. I am also working on my own historic fantasy project set in the 3rd century AD.

message 7: by David (new)

David Wilson | 95 comments Hi Jack, are you still intersted in having a beta reader? I can do it now. Nice to know there are other historical fantasies out there.

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack Massa | 16 comments Boris wrote: "Hi Jack. Are you still looking for beta readers? I love ancient history and I would be happy to give your work a try. I am also working on my own historic fantasy project set in the 3rd century AD."
Hi, Boris.
Thanks. Yes, I would be happy to send you this one (The Lights of Alexandria), or if you'd rather, I will also need beta readers for the third book of the series, which I hope to have ready in a few weeks. Let me know which is better, your email to send it to, and preferred file format.
- Jack

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack Massa | 16 comments David wrote: "Hi Jack, are you still intersted in having a beta reader? I can do it now. Nice to know there are other historical fantasies out there."
Yes. Please let me know preferred file format and an email to send it to you. Thanks!
- Jack

message 10: by David (new)

David Wilson | 95 comments Word doc is fine and email to dkwillow@tpg.com.au

message 11: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (nadia-castro) | 4 comments Hi David,
If you would like one more beta reader I would very interested. If yes, please pm me, and also I prefer epub or mobi format.

message 12: by Jack (new)

Jack Massa | 16 comments Nadia wrote: "Hi David,
If you would like one more beta reader I would very interested. If yes, please pm me, and also I prefer epub or mobi format."

Hi, Nadia.
Sending you a PM.
- Jack (not David) :)