The Great American Read discussion

War and Peace
This topic is about War and Peace
War and Peace Q4 2018 > War and Peace, General Discussion- Fall 2018- NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Bonnie Planning on starting this one Mid August (around the 12th.) Someone had already indicated she'd like to read/discuss it with me, so hope others will too. My version is kindle, but I'll try and see how many chapters/pages there are and make a reasonable reading schedule. Any thoughts on how long to spread it out?

message 2: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - added it

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I know in another thread we had talked about doing a big read (this was one of the titles floated around) in the fall or even over the winter across 3 months either nov-jan or jan-mar.

Bonnie I bought it on kindle very cheap so I own it and can wait if no one is ready to read it yet. I did want to read it before the final voting though.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Bonnie wrote: "I bought it on kindle very cheap so I own it and can wait if no one is ready to read it yet. I did want to read it before the final voting though."

I own it, and if the schedule is reasonable, could start whenever. Probably mid-Sept would be best.

In other groups I"m in, we break it up by chapters, since there's absolutely no way we'll all have the same edition.

Where groups usually split is between the people who read (in my case, out of necessity) several books at one time, vs the people who read one at a time. For someone who reads one book at a time, 500 pp a week is nothing. For people who read several simultaneously, 100-200 a week is better. That seems to be my limit, although I can be pretty good about scheduling it if I know in advance.

message 5: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - added it

Bonnie wrote: "I bought it on kindle very cheap so I own it and can wait if no one is ready to read it yet. I did want to read it before the final voting though."

I know a lot of people are interested in reading it. Hopefully they'll chime in if they're able to start it before the voting ends!

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Great. Go for it! I created a new folder for War and Peace

Bonnie, could you edit the subject line of this topic to include "War and Peace" or "Who wants to read War and Peace now?" I can post an announcement to go out to all members, unless Joy wants to make her first group announcement. (We also need to announce the start of Their Eyes are Watching God.) In the meantime, set up topic threads based on chapters, plus a Final overall/Spoiler thread, for comments from people who finished (or read it in the past).

You can indicate your own schedule and ask who also wants to read it before voting has ended. And allow flexibility for people who want to spread it out more. Happy reading!

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 24 comments NancyJ wrote: "Great. Go for it! I created a new folder for War and Peace

Bonnie, could you edit the subject line of this topic to include "War and Peace" or "Who wants to read War and Peace now?" I can post an ..."

YAY! It has been on my list for awhile.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments happy to be able to read it when able, and to have people to read it with! That will make me get it off my shelf, finally! (Just can't sit down and have it be the only book I'm reading, due to work). Nancy, I'm happy that you suggested the chapter divisions, since I'll have to be reading 4 books at once!

Bonnie Does everyone want to start in September? My copy is JKL classics (e-book on kindle) and is not broken down too well for table of contents. It seems to have 15 "books" and the books look to have 20-25 chapters each and also there are 2 epilogues. No idea how long the chapters are yet, but the first few I skimmed through to see were short. Can someone who has an actual book tell me if it is also divided into "books" with each book have chapters numbered 1-20/25 shortish chapters? If so, do you want to try for a book/epilogue a week which would mean 17 weeks? Or shove the 2 epilogues together for 16? Or do you want to go faster than that? I am good either way as I have it on my kindle cloud so can read it from anywhere I have a bit of free time.

message 10: by Linda Abhors the New GR Design (last edited Aug 15, 2018 10:51AM) (new) - added it

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments September works for me, how about everyone else?
I have the Signet classics version (it's old, I've been putting it off and putting it off, picked it up once, but didn't really have the time for it).

This small paperback edition has 1455 pp.

There are 4 books. Looks like each part of Book 1 is about 100-125 pp. (3 parts, Total of 300-375 pp for this part)

Book 2: Part One about 60 pp, Part 2 80, Part 3 80-90, Part 4 50-60, Part 5 about 76 (So more Parts in Book 2, but they're shorter)
(about 350 pp for this part)

Book 3 Part 1 is 100 pp, Part 2 160, Part 3 130 (Total about 400 pp for this part)

Book 4 Part 1 60 pp. Part 2 52 Part 3 53 Part 4 about 60 (Total about 225 for this part)

Epilogue Part 1 has 60 pp and Part 2 has 43. So about 100 pp

I know this is only one edition, but it'll give you some sort of an idea. I could see squishing the two parts of the Epilogue into one week, regardless of what we do with the rest, as we'll probably all be dying (to finish it?! :))

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments So if others have a similar breakdown, it might look like this: (just a suggestion)
Week 1: Book 1, Part 1
Week 2: Book 1, Part 2
Week 3: Book 1, Part 3
Week 4: Book 2, Parts 1&2
Week 5: Book 2, Parts 3&4
Week 6: Book 2 Part 5 and Book 3 Part 1
Week 7: Book 3, Part 2
Week 8: Book 3, Part 3
Week 9: Book 4, Parts 1&2
Week 10: Book 4, Parts 3&4
Week 11: Epilogue.

Going over 16 weeks, as you suggested, Bonnie, would be even more relaxed, with less than 100-200 pp per week.

message 12: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - added it

NancyJ wrote: "Great. Go for it! I created a new folder for War and Peace

Bonnie, could you edit the subject line of this topic to include "War and Peace" or "Who wants to read War and Peace now?" I can post an ..."

I'm on it!

I would love to read War and Peace. I can't say for sure if September will work out for me, but if we decide on September, I will try to keep up!

message 13: by Pillsonista (new) - added it

Pillsonista | 9 comments I'd love to, and September works out just find for me (but I can make anytime work if I have to).

Has the group decided upon a specific translation or is it any one of our own choosing?

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments If you have a choice, here's a lively debate on it.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'll be using the one I have (which is neither promoted nor denigrated in said conversation, thank goodness)

message 15: by Pillsonista (last edited Aug 15, 2018 05:57PM) (new) - added it

Pillsonista | 9 comments Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "If you have a choice, here's a lively debate on it.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'll be using the one I have (which is neither promoted nor denigra..."

Thank you for the link!

I've been looking for an opportunity to read the Pevear-Volokhonsky translation, and it looks like this just might be it.

Jacinta | 70 comments I'm in! This has been on my to-read list for a long time. :)

message 17: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 1 comments I would love to read war and peace

Diane I just put the book on hold at my liibrary. September works for me. It would be quite the challenge - and an accomplishment for all of us!

Bonnie Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "September works for me, how about everyone else?
I have the Signet classics version (it's old, I've been putting it off and putting it off, picked it up once, but didn't really have the time for it..."

If you wanted to also have the e-edition, I found it on this page (GAR book deals) either free or super cheap, just in case you want another option at times than a stuffed paperback :)

Bonnie I checked and the kindle one I got (99 cents) was translated by the "Maude" one (one some liked in the discussion.)

Bonnie Maybe we can all just divide our books into however many parts we plan to take to read it. Two months would be about 9 weeks, 3 about 13?

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Bonnie wrote: "Maybe we can all just divide our books into however many parts we plan to take to read it. Two months would be about 9 weeks, 3 about 13?"

I think all of the books have "Books" and "Parts", so that should be one way to divvy it up, as you suggested. Otherwise, we run into spoilers, because some people have read 2/3 and others have only read 1/3

message 23: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Mathews | 21 comments I'd like to read it but I'm not sure I can squeeze it in. I'm still trying to finish off Lonesome Dove in addition to all of my other group reads.

message 24: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen | 2 comments I will be in for this read! I’m going to have to consider translation carefully I think. Will have to check out the debate referenced above to see if my copy is a pass or fail.

message 25: by Pillsonista (new) - added it

Pillsonista | 9 comments Bonnie wrote: "I checked and the kindle one I got (99 cents) was translated by the "Maude" one (one some liked in the discussion.)"

Personally, I love the Maude translation (as a hard copy, iirc, it's the one published by Oxford University Press). There are many to choose from, but you could do a lot worse than that one.

Bonnie Pillsonista wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I checked and the kindle one I got (99 cents) was translated by the "Maude" one (one some liked in the discussion.)"

Personally, I love the Maude translation (as a hard copy, iirc, ..."

Well good and reading a huge book on kindle works for me. The only thing is figuring out the parts/chapters. But if most have 3 big parts, I assume that would be like 5 of my books since I have 15 :) Spoilers on classics don't bother me really anyway, so if I guess wrong I will just be careful what I post. I think the e one also tells you what percent you've read so that should help too.

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 41 comments I’ll grab a copy and plan to start in September!

message 28: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie I'll join in this. I wanted to read it this year. I'm reading a 1,000+ page book right now, so September will work for me as well. I have the book on Kindle and I just donated my paperback to the library last week. Reading the small print just doesn't work for me anymore!

message 29: by Charley Girl (new) - added it

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 24 comments Starting in September works for me.

message 30: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 41 comments Note for those of you who can read French, it sounds like there are certain translations that keep the French text in French and only translates the Russian text.

message 31: by Colleen (last edited Aug 16, 2018 04:31PM) (new) - added it

Colleen  | 47 comments I'm going to get in for this. I'll plan on September-December sounds like. This will be great!

Here's my edition:
War and Peace War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

message 32: by J., Your Obedient Servant (last edited Aug 16, 2018 04:39PM) (new) - added it

Since there is a lot of interest in this book, I'm going to add it to the upcoming reads page in case anyone else wants to join in!

:: edit::
I've set it for 12 weeks. Let me know if I need to change that.

message 33: by Pillsonista (new) - added it

Pillsonista | 9 comments Colleen wrote: "I'm going to get in for this. I'll plan on September-December sounds like. This will be great!

Here's my edition:
War and Peace War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy"

That's the one I'll be reading too! 😀👍

message 34: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen  | 47 comments Pillsonista wrote: "Colleen wrote: "I'm going to get in for this. I'll plan on September-December sounds like. This will be great!

Here's my edition:
War and Peace War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy"

Th..."

Twinsies :)
It was so pretty and felt so good I just had to buy it....2 years ago....time to read it.....

message 35: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen | 2 comments Yay, I have the same copy as Pillsonistsa and Colleen.

Jacinta | 70 comments Glad to see I'm joining so many with the same edition!

message 37: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

I still have to go back and finish Lonesome Dove, and I know some are just starting it.

Lonesome Dove (our current big book) is slotted to end October 1. So we could call War and Peace our fourth quarter big book, with a buddy group starting early (Sept 1 or now). Some people will start in Sept, and some in October or later. If we can all finish around Dec 31, we could start Count of Monte Cristo in January.

If enough people commit to read it, we can skip a new nomination for October, and put this in the slot instead. (We already have Frankenstein scheduled for October. This gives everyone more time to finish early.

I would assume the chapters are the same regardless of the translation. I would go ahead and set up the first few topic threads (number them) based on Linda's breakdown. You might include an introduction post that shows the breakdown of which part/chapters are in each topic thread. Plus two sample schedules (one for people who will try to finish by early or mid October, and another that stretches it out through December. Be sure to emphasize that it's OK for people to read at their own pace.

You might also summarize a list of the people who are committed to reading it. (This is a form of Social motivation.) I'm not ready to make that commitment myself, but it appears we have a lot of people who already have the book, so that's a good sign.

Have fun and let me know if you need help.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "I still have to go back and finish Lonesome Dove, and I know some are just starting it.

Lonesome Dove (our current big book) is slotted to end October 1. So we could call War and Peace our fourth..."

I like the idea of doing it in fall and doing the Count for the winter, Nancy!

message 39: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

War and Peace is now an official Group Read running from Sept 1 to Dec 31. There are enough people in to make it official for me. Thanks to Bonnie for initiating a grass roots effort that took off! Also thank you J. for promoting the effort and putting it on the bookshelf and our home page.

I bumped up the date to September to catch the attention of others who might want to read it before the show is over.

While you're reading, if you like it, you might as well start voting for it every day to give it a chance to move up the list.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "War and Peace is now an official Group Read running from Sept 1 to Dec 31. There are enough people in to make it official for me. Thanks to Bonnie for initiating a grass roots effort that took off!..."

Done, trust me, done! :)

Bonnie Jackie wrote: "I'll join in this. I wanted to read it this year. I'm reading a 1,000+ page book right now, so September will work for me as well. I have the book on Kindle and I just donated my paperback to the l..."

Yeah, I read more big books on kindle now- both for my eyesight and the heaviness of the book. I like reading in bed/or laying on the couch chaise.

Bonnie J. wrote: "Since there is a lot of interest in this book, I'm going to add it to the upcoming reads page in case anyone else wants to join in!

:: edit::
I've set it for 12 weeks. Let me know if I need to cha..."

Thank you. I was having a terrible time trying to figure out a schedule with so many different versions. I can just divide my parts and epilogues into 12 weeks.

Bonnie NancyJ wrote: "War and Peace is now an official Group Read running from Sept 1 to Dec 31. There are enough people in to make it official for me. Thanks to Bonnie for initiating a grass roots effort that took off!..."

That is a great idea. I also plan to read Frankenstein in October and thought I'd do the same- start adding it to my voting if I really like it.

Bonnie Someone shared this character list on the GAR facebook page.

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literatur...

message 45: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

Bonnie wrote: "Someone shared this character list on the GAR facebook page.

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literatur..."

Great! That's helpful.

Bonnie NancyJ wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Someone shared this character list on the GAR facebook page.

Great! That's helpful."

I really like that Spark has the same book/chapter breakdown as my kindle edition (Maude)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Bonnie wrote: "Someone shared this character list on the GAR facebook page.

Thanks!
My copy has a one-page chart of the families, and the characters' names, but no notes on their personalities, such as this. I plan on photocopying that page and using it as a bookmark--I learned my lesson with 100 Years of Solitude!

Bonnie When the Oprah book club started it made bookmark printable with characters and places.

message 49: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 204 comments NancyJ wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Someone shared this character list on the GAR facebook page.

Great! That's helpful."

Only to a point. Russians are incredibly fond of nicknames, and each character has at least one (and sometimes more). I highly recommend printing the list, and writing each character's nickname(s) to the side. Otherwise, you will get hopelessly confused.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Parker wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Someone shared this character list on the GAR facebook page.

Great! That's helpful."

Only to..."

Thanks for the tip. Yes, that happened to me recently, with "The Master and Margarita". Almost hopeless......

« previous 1