Flights of Fantasy discussion

Randomnessosity > Cosplay and Costumes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I need all the help! I decided I'm going to cosplay at an (undetermined) SFF con with my cousin.

I have never done this before, lol. FML

I'm actually having fun figuring some things out...but I haven't a clue where to look for help (or where to look for other things).

So...

This thread is to talk about costuming and cosplaying. And I expect someone named Colleen to pop in with googads of advice and experience... ;-)

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Etsy is a good place to start for customized pieces, if you're not a DIY kind of person.

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Etsy is a good place to start for customized pieces, if you're not a DIY kind of person."

Well, that's a good place but...I also need random knowledge:

I want to make scales. I'd planned to do them on my face and body using standard makeup (made waterproof). But I also want a couple of appliances to cover my upper hairline and ears. And I learned standard makeup isn't good for appliances and its recommended I used PAX or make my own PAX. I want to make my own since my scales will be iridescent...

...but I also have to make it match to the body of my costume. So I wanted to use the same colored paints... I'm planning to use Jacquard Lumiere and they (Jacquard) make this pigment powder called Pearl Ex. But it's not a makeup - its a craft - and not recommended for skin. BUT PAX supposedly makes acrylics skin safe so I was wondering if I could put the Pearl Ex into clear/white acrylic and THEN make my PAX?

message 4: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Yeah, that's well beyond my level of knowledge.

I don't actually have all that much experience in the way of cosplay and what I've done I've always done as modified, simple kind of things.

message 5: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 27 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I want to make scales. I'd planned to do them on my face and body ..."

What do you intend, may I ask?

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dustin wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "I want to make scales. I'd planned to do them on my face and body ..."

What do you intend, may I ask?"

Jade ;-)

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Yeah, that's well beyond my level of knowledge.

I don't actually have all that much experience in the way of cosplay and what I've done I've always done as modified, simple kind of things."

I wanted to make the face/arms simple...but the problem is the hairline. The character is hairless and has no hairline. I could ignore the ears if I could figure out the hairline. And if I could figure out the hairline, I could waterproof standard makeup and get it in. Makeup can certainly last 8-12 hours if properly set.... And MAC has some bomb pigments that I could possibly match to my Jacquards.

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt Bille (mattwriter) | 16 comments Some cosplays don’t have to be elaborate to be good. I play Harry Dresden, natural for me because I’m a big fan and I’m 6-4, so I’m just a few inches shorter. The full-length leather duster came from Walmart online ($200-ish), and that was the only expensive piece. Added a battered low-crowned hat, a pendant and shield bracelet from Etsy, and a staff carved just a little and stained from a blank that can be ordered online. I get photo requests at every con. Think about who you’d like to be and figure out the most important visual elements and which ones you can skip to save money (no one knows I don’t have Harry’s blasting rod tucked inside my duster, although maybe for next year.. ). Have fun!

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Matt wrote: "Some cosplays don’t have to be elaborate to be good. I play Harry Dresden, natural for me because I’m a big fan and I’m 6-4, so I’m just a few inches shorter. The full-length leather duster came fr..."

That's really cool! Sadly, I seem to have a problem with KISS and always end up in complicated land, lol.