Springfield-Greene County Library District discussion

August ReadUps: Comics & Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In August, in honor of our 4th Annual LibraryCon on Saturday, Aug. 18, we'll discuss comics and graphic novels!

Browse our list of comics and graphic novels of all kinds to get some inspiration.

Are you a comic book or graphic novel reader? What would you recommend to someone just starting out in this format?

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice | 54 comments A few years ago I read Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel; that was my first graphic novel and I really enjoyed it. Since then I have read only a couple more, March: Book One by John Lewis, and] An Enchantment by Christian Durieux. I enjoyed them both. I recently purchased Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast, and have it on my to read list, and plan to give it to my daughter after I have finished it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Janice wrote: "A few years ago I read Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel; that was my first graphic novel and I really enjoyed it. Since then I have read only a couple more, [book..."

Those are great choices, Janice!

Here are more memoirs in graphic format--seems up your alley, based on what you've liked before.

And here's another list of graphic novels that focus on historical events, whether they're fiction or non-fiction. Possibly some fodder for your to-read list?

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice | 54 comments Miranda wrote: "Janice wrote: "A few years ago I read Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel; that was my first graphic novel and I really enjoyed it. Since then I have read only a cou..."
Thanks, Miranda. Both lists have a lot of titles I think I would enjoy. I had to add a new category to my Goodreads shelves, for graphic non-fiction! My list grows much faster than I can read, so just keeps growing. I love historical fiction, too, and some of these titles I am familiar with but had no idea there was a graphic version. Thanks, again!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 26 comments My first graphic novel was Nimona by Noelle Stevenson. I loved the story and the art so I started her Lumberjanes series. My favorite so far is Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together. There are rockstar mermaids!!

I also like Brian K. Vaughan. I read his Paper Girls, Vol. 1 and Saga, Vol. 1.

My biggest pet peeve with comics and graphic novels is when the artist changes mid-way through the series.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "My first graphic novel was Nimona by Noelle Stevenson. I loved the story and the art so I started her Lumberjanes series. My favorite so far is [book:Lumberjanes, V..."

OMG yes to all of this.

I loved Y: The Last Man by BKV too. Would love to see it turned into a TV series.

Have you read Rat Queens at all? Kind of like a dark, grown-up Ren Faire version of Lumberjanes. This list has a lot of cool lady-centric comics you'd probably like.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 26 comments Miranda wrote: "Emily wrote: "My first graphic novel was Nimona by Noelle Stevenson. I loved the story and the art so I started her Lumberjanes series. My favorite so far is ..."</i>

That is a great list! I added a ton of stuff. Thank you!

I read a newer comic at the beginning of the year called [book:Afar
by Leila del Duca. I loved the worldbuilding and I keep checking back to see if it is being expanded into a series.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "Miranda wrote: "Emily wrote: "My first graphic novel was Nimona by Noelle Stevenson. I loved the story and the art so I started her Lumberjanes series. My favorite ..."

Requesting Afar now! Looks gorj.

message 9: by BJ (last edited Aug 08, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

BJ | 10 comments I am going to second the Nimona and March recommendation. I do think my favorite comic/graphic novel series is Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life. I really love the movie, but the series is so much better. I am also highly looking forward to the next volume of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 1: Squirrel Power and Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal. I know superhero comics is not everybody's jam, but these two are really great entry points for skittish readers.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

BJ wrote: "I am going to second the Nimona and March recommendation. I do think my favorite comic/graphic novel series is Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life. I really l..."

Great recommendations! Like the funniest superhero comics ever. You might also like Hawkeye, Volume 1: My Life as a Weapon and the other recent Hawkeye comics?

message 11: by BJ (new)

BJ | 10 comments Miranda wrote: "BJ wrote: "I am going to second the Nimona and March recommendation. I do think my favorite comic/graphic novel series is Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life...."

I haven't tried those, but I might have to after I get my small pile of comics/graphic novels down to a more manageable size.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 26 comments Currently reading through BKV's Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young. I love them!

message 13: by Heather (last edited Aug 13, 2018 10:52PM) (new)

Heather | 33 comments So many comics and graphic novels I love have been mentioned...Nimona, Saga, Vol. 1, Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned, March: Book One, Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life. I'll add Giant Days, Vol. 1. It follows three girls starting life as adults at college, dealing with everyday stuff, and it's so funny and easy to relate to. I think it's a really good one for people who haven't read many comics to start with.

I really want to try Lumberjanes and The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 1: Squirrel Power soon!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Heather wrote: "So many comics and graphic novels I love have been mentioned...Nimona, Saga, Vol. 1, Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned, March: Book One..."

Excellent suggestions! I didn't expect to like March as much as I did. And Giant Days, UGH I want to hang out with those girls.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily | 26 comments Heather wrote: "So many comics and graphic novels I love have been mentioned...Nimona, Saga, Vol. 1, Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned, March: Book One..."

Giant Days!! I love them!

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Oliver (a_oliver) | 5 comments I just stated dabbling in this genre. I've enjoyed reading The Amulet series just recently. The artwork is crisp, easy to follow, and so imaginative!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda wrote: "I just stated dabbling in this genre. I've enjoyed reading The Amulet series just recently. The artwork is crisp, easy to follow, and so imaginative!"

Good rec! I'll look forward to reading this one!

message 18: by BJ (new)

BJ | 10 comments Emily wrote: "Heather wrote: "So many comics and graphic novels I love have been mentioned...Nimona, Saga, Vol. 1, Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned, [book:March: Bo..."
My only issue with Giant Days is that it seems like the story got a little convoluted around Volume 3 or 4 and I feel like it is still trying to recover from that arc. I still love those three young women though!

message 19: by Emily (last edited Sep 01, 2018 01:53PM) (new)

Emily | 26 comments I can't believe I forgot to recommend Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!! I love the 60's campy feel of this series about the world's greatest thief who also happens to be a teenage girl. She has great, sassy style. I love it!

message 20: by BJ (new)

BJ | 10 comments Emily wrote: "I can't believe I forgot to recommend Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!! I love the 60's campy feel of this series about the world's greatest thief who also happens to be a teenage girl. ..."

The art style does look really cool. I have already added it to my evergrowing "Want to Read" list on here.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

BJ wrote: "Emily wrote: "I can't believe I forgot to recommend Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!! I love the 60's campy feel of this series about the world's greatest thief who also happens to be a ..."

Same! Bandette looks awesome.