Book of The Month discussion

Goodbye, Paris
This topic is about Goodbye, Paris
2018 > Goodbye, Paris

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 304 comments Notes from Steph Optiz: I think if the news cycle was less intense, or I wasn’t in desperate need of a palate cleanser post-Handmaid’s Tale and Westworld, I might have overlooked this book. I’m not naturally drawn to romantic stories (see above), and the idea of reading about a cello maker in the throes of a long-distance affair felt out of my wheelhouse. But skipping Goodbye, Paris would’ve been my loss.

From the beginning I was hooked: When David, married father of three, saves someone on a subway platform in Paris, the surveillance footage of the incident turns him into a national hero. Unfortunately, his valiance is captured right along with the fact that he is clearly on a night out with Grace, an instrument maker and former cello prodigy who is definitely not his wife. When the ensuing media whirlwind drags their infidelity into the limelight, Grace is left tending to her instruments and waiting for David to declare his marriage is over. But will she hold out for him to finally go all in with her, or begin to see her life’s trajectory in a new light?

There are a lot of ways to read and enjoy the characters in this book. Hate-read David for any ex you need to remember and then excise (it’s cathartic, I promise). Joy-read Mr. Williams and Nadia, an unusual pair of sidekicks and music enthusiasts who bring hope when Grace is in dire straits. And cheer-read Grace, who makes classical music exhilarating, who perseveres in the face of heartbreak, and is the unlikely, though very winning, hero of her own story.

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 304 comments I don't usually gravitate towards romance but I picked this one.

Patrice (itspatrice) | 19 comments My August pick. Looking forward to receiving and reading! (I'm a bit behind with my reading, busy July, but hoping to get back to my books this month!) 😊

Evonne (evo_cho) | 11 comments same looking forward to eventually picking this up...!

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 304 comments I'm starting to read this now. Has anyone finished reading this one yet?

Patrice (itspatrice) | 19 comments I started it a few days ago, but so far I'm just meh with it...continuing on. 😊

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 304 comments I am halfway through and really hate the main character. Anyone else feel the same?

Patrice (itspatrice) | 19 comments Yes! Exactly! Ness...I'm about half way, too...the music/instrument sections are getting me thru. 😉

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 304 comments Patrice wrote: "Yes! Exactly! Ness...I'm about half way, too...the music/instrument sections are getting me thru. 😉"

Let me know when you finish. I don't think I liked the book but I enjoyed the side characters Nadia and Mr. Williams

Patrice (itspatrice) | 19 comments Finished! Definitely not a re-read for me..lol..but once the story switched more to the music and away from the boyfriend, I did enjoy the book. Loved Mr. Williams! 😊

message 11: by Elsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) | 351 comments I didn't care for the MC until she got a back bone later on in the story.