Play Book Tag discussion

George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution
This topic is about George Washington's Secret Six
August 2018: Espionage > George Washington's Secret Six - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8849 comments 3 stars. It was interesting and I'm glad to have read it. I admit though that I have trouble focusing my attention on non-fiction. I really love it when it tells a personal story. Those were in there, and there were some fabulous lines. I just find that as interesting as it is, non-fiction is hard to relate to personally. A few takeaways: George Washington did not win the Revolutionary War by force - it was won through Intelligence. Spies and wits were at the center of it all. Loyalty to country is a pretty incredible thing, and something I respect. Interesting that it was written by a Fox Broadcaster, who says in the acknowledgments that he works for the most patriotic company in America. Nowadays we call into question what is patriotism, and I have no doubt that all of the news companies are patriotic, and that the majority to most of our leadership really does care about America. Its just interesting that what is Patriotic is really called into question when our country is so divided. And thinking about the ideals and the divide of that time, and what it means to be on two sides of an issue then and now. I also really enjoyed that there was a prominent woman who was one of the Culper 6, although they have never to this day been able to establish her identity. I found it interesting and I'm glad that I read it.

message 2: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie Zaccaria | 214 comments I just picked this up from a used book store!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8849 comments Shall I recommended it to you to make your life easy?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The problem with reading non fiction.:) I have backed way off from non fiction in this era of strong opinions and politics. I used to love to read every presidents biographies/autobiographies. I finally stopped. Wow, who is to say who is the most patriotic? Insert rolling eye emoji right here. Throughout our history this decisiveness that we see now has come in waves, sometimes great, sometimes much less. During George Washington's time it was quite high, perhaps just as nasty as today. But imagine if social media had been around back then. I imagine it would have been just as bad. Again, why I have stepped way back from non-fiction as much as I love it. I now only read it for research for something I'm writing now.
The revolutionary war was most definitely won by intelligence and without it history would have been quite different. Intelligence and wits have gotten us pretty far in history and this war was the first.
Love that they included a woman in this book. Women are underestimated in this realm, yet they have played the most important roles at times. Good review.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8849 comments Amen, Rachel! He stated that better than I could have.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7867 comments Amy wrote: "3 stars. It was interesting and I'm glad to have read it. I admit though that I have trouble focusing my attention on non-fiction. I really love it when it tells a personal story. Those were in the..."

There was a series on last summer about the Culper 6, it was really good. In it they portrayed the woman as married to one of the Red Coats, but "involved" with one of the towns Culper members-darn I cannot remember what the name of the series was -but it was really well done.

Nice review - I may have to add this one

message 7: by Karin (last edited Aug 02, 2018 03:58PM) (new)

Karin | 7198 comments Interesting review. I would say that based on my lifetime observations from a different country (but I live here now and did a few times growing up), patriotism in the US, regardless of political affiliation, has gone way, way down. I remember knowing both Democrats and Republicans who thought the US was the greatest country in the world--in fact, I still meet people from both of those parties who don't understand that not everyone wants to move here. (I can't tell you how often I still I hear people of more than one political ilk say that as messed up as it is here, everyone still wants to move here.)

I am not sure which party has more people who claim to be patriotic because, like Dolly Parton, I stay out of the discussion in public.

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Rachel wrote: "The problem with reading non fiction.:) I have backed way off from non fiction in this era of strong opinions and politics. I used to love to read every presidents biographies/autobiographies. I fi..."

I love non-fiction, but have stopped reading books that take on today's political issues. I will read about this period when a historian tackles it with more perspective, at least 10 years hence, lol. But still love non-fiction about business, sports, and nature! And memoirs!

This book sounds pretty interesting . . .I think I knew that intelligence was critical given the disparity in the preparedness and strength of the adversaries, but not sure I have read anything about the specific individuals involved.

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8849 comments To be fair, the authors comment about working for the most patriotic company in America was in the acknowledgment section after the book was over. He himself had zero commentary on current politics. That was my add, as a personal takeaway. He stuck with history. I never do - lol!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Anita wrote: "Rachel wrote: "The problem with reading non fiction.:) I have backed way off from non fiction in this era of strong opinions and politics. I used to love to read every presidents biographies/autobi..."

Anita, I used to only read non-fiction!! I was that girl and my bookshelves full of non-fiction. I'm with you, if I can stay away from current political issues I can do it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "To be fair, the authors comment about working for the most patriotic company in America was in the acknowledgment section after the book was over. He himself had zero commentary on current politics..."

Well I'm glad to hear this.:) Its always been one of my struggles with non-fiction. Stick to the facts and the facts only. In recent years way too much personal commentary started showing up. Gross. I just want to read what happened. Amy this is why I love fiction so much! My world has just opened to amazing things since joining this group and reading so many genres of fiction.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8849 comments Does good reads take heart emoji’s? Sometimes those just say at all. A picture is worth 1000 words.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Does good reads take heart emoji’s? Sometimes those just say at all. A picture is worth 1000 words."

If Goodreads doesn't we must suggest it.:)

message 14: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 120 comments Amy wrote: "3 stars. It was interesting and I'm glad to have read it. I admit though that I have trouble focusing my attention on non-fiction. I really love it when it tells a personal story. Those were in the..."

Nice review. I've read quite a few books about the American Revolution and one thing I've learned is that even back then, after the war was won, two parties were almost immediately created among the people (Federalist versus Democratic-Republican, if memory serves me right). So strong disagreement on how America should be run was an issue from the very beginning and of course I'm sure both sides thought their ideas were more "patriotic" than the opposing side.

It's also interesting to note that while they didn't have social media, per se, they DID have newspapers and pamphlets. It's quite humorous to see how much name-calling and insulting went on between Presidential candidates even back then.

It just goes to show that the bickering and fighting within our political system probably won't come to an end any time soon.