Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Reading: Nominations > *SPECIAL* October/November 2018 - Horror + ESR

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Aug 02, 2018 09:56PM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
As we've briefly discussed in another thread, we have something special planned for October. The theme of the month is Horror, there will be no voting phase this month because we are going to tackle a whole series by Mira Grant.

Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant Total pages: 1,695

Feed - 599pg HNBN
Deadline - 584pg HNBN
Blackout - 512pg HNBN

Seeing as there are two months worth of pages in this series, the series will be carried over to November. However, just to spice things up it would be nice to have an extra read, so feel free to nominate a book from our Extremely Short Reads , a bookshelf which contains books that are all shorter than 150 pages.

message 2: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 3780 comments Mod
I choose Tea with the Black Dragon by R.A. MacAvoy for November's additional short read. I have been meaning to get around to it, and, if it is selected by this group, I will.

message 3: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2096 comments Mod
Where do the extra 197 pages come from?

message 4: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Aug 02, 2018 09:56PM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Allan wrote: "Where do the extra 197 pages come from?"

Sorry, how do you mean? Oh, there is a wrong page count in my post. My bad, must've copy-pasted something wrong.

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "I choose Tea with the Black Dragon by R.A. MacAvoy for November's additional short read. I have been meaning to get around to it, and, if it is selected by this group, I will."

Sounds good to me, apparently Tea with the Black Dragon has a sequel, but everyone is saying it's not as nearly as good as the original novel.

message 6: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Anyone else?

message 7: by LuthienDillon (new)

LuthienDillon | 24 comments I'd like to nominate Captain Future #18 Red Sun of Danger for the additional short read. Didn't even know that series I watched as a kid was based on a book, but now I found it on the list I'll have to read it sooner or later. :-)

Also looking forward to the horror series - that's perfect for autumn.

message 8: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Sep 02, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Only two nominees so far:

Tea with the Black Dragon
Captain Future #18 Red Sun of Danger

Three weeks from now we are putting this to a vote, so in case anyone else wants to nominate anything from our Extremely Short Reads , now is the right time.

message 9: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3726 comments Mod
I nominate The Dying Earth by Jack Vance

message 10: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments How about the news flesh novella?

message 11: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3726 comments Mod
Atlanta wrote: "How about the news flesh novella?"

Was it nominated for either award? For now we limited ourselves with novels, but I guess shorter forms should be added one day

message 12: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments I meant for the short read.

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Atlanta wrote: "I meant for the short read."

All of our nominations are reserved strictly for the award-winning titles. There are exceptions, as the Earthsea Challenge or some other series on our list, however when it comes to Monthly Reads there are no exceptions.

It is a nice idea however, if you know which series-related material is worth reading, do share with us and we can still put it forward as a challenge (to go along with the series) or something.

message 14: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 693 comments Why is Dhalgren on the list of Extremely Short Reads? Is someone making a joke?

message 15: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Ed wrote: "Why is Dhalgren on the list of Extremely Short Reads? Is someone making a joke?"

Hehe, must've misclicked one of the tags. Extremely short and extremely long tags are next to each other, sorry!

message 16: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 04, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Atlanta said "How about the news flesh novella?" and then Art wanted to know "which series-related material is worth reading."

The answer is, there's not just one novella, there's lots of ancillary stuff. The list below is from https://www.fantasticfiction.com/g/mi... In fact, it appears that there is a fourth full novel, Feedback (usually novellas have a decimal point in these types of lists, so I am assuming novel.)

Fantastic Fiction is where I often start research on books.

Newsflesh
0.5. Countdown (2011)
1. Feed (2010)
2. Deadline (2011)
3. Blackout (2012)
3.1. San Diego 2014 (2012)
3.5. How Green This Land, How Blue this Sea (2013)
3.6. The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell (2014)
3.7. Please Do Not Taunt the Octopus (2015)
4. Feedback (2016)
Rise (2016)
All the Pretty Little Horses (2017)
Coming to You Live (2018)

Art, I can do more research to see if any of the short pieces were nominated or won anything. Let me know if you want me to. Otherwise, if I like the three books, I might read the other items.

message 17: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I think I like your approach the most, that being everyone deciding whether to dig in deeper into the series or not, after reading the three award-winning titles.

If I like the series I will have to find the time to read the extras.

message 18: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2096 comments Mod
Didn't think I would be able to participate in this challenge but I just found Feed and Deadline at HPB, so I'm good to go!

message 19: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Allan wrote: "Didn't think I would be able to participate in this challenge but I just found Feed and Deadline at HPB, so I'm good to go!"

We won't be doing this as a group, all the challenges will be announced at least a month in advance so that all the participants can get their ducks in order.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.