Play Book Tag discussion

Smilla's Sense of Snow
This topic is about Smilla's Sense of Snow
Archive: Other Books > (Listopia) Smilla's Sense of Snow, by Peter Høeg, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hilde (hilded) | 365 comments Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg

I really enjoyed my stay in Denmark and the company of the quircky Smilla. A fascinating read, especially when we got to learn more about Greenland life and culture. The writing flows beautifully, and pulls you right in. I can understand that this is not for everyone though, especially if you're expecting a fast paced crime novel. This was, in my opinion, so much more than that.

Solid 4⭐️

message 2: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2221 comments I adored this book - it was a little scratchy in places (so I think it would have been a 4 star too) but both the storytelling and writing suited me well

Booknblues | 5524 comments I loved this book when I read it.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments I also read this for Listopia .... but I gave it only 2 stars. I just never connected to it ... or to Smilla. Still, I DO appreciate the writing. Could practically feel the cold!

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6930 comments I once took this out but never actually read it; I don't remember if I set it aside because I thought it wouldn't be a good fit or if I just ran out of reading time.

Susie | 4488 comments I loved this too. When I read it the title was Miss Smilla’s Feeling For Snow. I wonder why it changed.

Hilde (hilded) | 365 comments So nice to see so much love for this book, it deserves it.

@Kate; I agree it got a little scratchy towards the ending when too much happened, and we got a little 'James Bond' style there for a while. But overall very good indeed!

@Susie; I think they changed the English title when the movie came out. Which is a bit strange since the original English title is much more true to the original Danish title, which uses the term 'Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for snø', where 'Frøken' equals 'Miss'.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I also gave it 4 stars when I read it. Good book.