The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello Mystery Fans!!!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (last edited Aug 09, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Lena Hi guys! My usual fare is horror, SciFi, fantasy but I find myself reading more murder mysteries these days. Goldsboro sent me The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and Too Close to Breathe, which I loved, and The Innocent Wife, which I didn’t.
I’ve also received the following:
The Silent Companions
The Secret of Vesalius
The Puppet Show
The Good Son
The House
Zodiac

Anyone feel like a buddy read?
I should confess I hated Final Girls; a better book should have received that level of marketing. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Currently Reading The Chalk Man

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8708 comments Mod
hello, and welcome!!

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Hi Lena!

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1500 comments Welcome Lena

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) Welcome!

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5460 comments Welcome to the group, Lena.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Turashoff (superdaddy) | 56 comments Lena wrote: "Hi guys! My usual fare is horror, SciFi, fantasy but I find myself reading more murder mysteries these days. Goldsboro sent me The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and [book:Too Cl..."

Howdy Lena, Welcome! I have always loved mysteries. Especially great whodunits where you have all the clues laid out for you but it isn't till the end with a real twist you discover you were wrong all along in who you decided the murderer is.

I can thank Agatha Christie, the Queen of all Mystery for my love affair with this genre since I began reading her books when I was a teen I have loved them ever since.

I just started "The Gods of Guilt" by Michael Connelly if you want to pick that up and read it I'll be your buddy and we can discuss different aspects of the book as we go along.

I've never had a book buddy before but it sounds like a lot of fun. If you're interested please send me a message and we can get together.

message 8: by Lena (new)

Lena Thank you Michael, I’m a fan of buddy reads! I just downloaded the audiobook and I’ll start it in an hour. Do you want to set up a Buddy Read thread?

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1500 comments I'm a big Connelly fan. Here is my review of The Gods of Guilt
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Happy reading!

message 10: by Lena (new)

Lena I’m 21% Into the Book and pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to follow. I’ve never read Connelly and this is Book 25/5 but I don’t feel lost.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan | 148 comments Michael wrote: "Lena wrote: "Hi guys! My usual fare is horror, SciFi, fantasy but I find myself reading more murder mysteries these days. Goldsboro sent me The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and..."

Hi, I love a good mystery, too!

message 12: by Lena (last edited Aug 09, 2018 07:50AM) (new)

Lena Let me know if anything on my list interest you Alan.

I’m 48% into The Gods of Guilt. There are a lot of balls in the air, and the lack of action is made up for by multiple sources of interest. Possibly even a mild romance.

Am I to understand Mickey is the half Mexican half brother of Bosch?

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1500 comments Mickey is Harry's half brother.

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan | 148 comments Lena wrote: "Let me know if anything on my list interest you Alan.

I’m 48% into The Gods of Guilt. There are a lot of balls in the air, and the lack of action is made up for by multiple sources of interest. Po..."

Will do!

message 15: by Lena (new)

Lena 85% in. This is taking too long. People have already died because of Mickey holding things back. He’s watching his client die in front of him and still he’s holding all the cards for a later date.

message 16: by Lena (new)

message 17: by Lena (new)

Lena Decided to start from the beginning! I’m reading/listening to The Black Echo.