What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Novel set in World War 2 Italy. Village with soldiers home from the front not keen to fight. Daughter falls in love with an officer.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 1 comments I am looking for a book that until now I thought it was “Bell Canto.” I just reread Bell Canto and there is no similarity between Bell Canto and the book I am looking for, the only explanation I’ve come up for my supposition is that there may be some likeness in the name.
The book I’m am looking for is set in WW II Italy. I vaguely recall a village with Italian soldiers away from the front not keen to fight, a father and daughter, an officer and the daughter falling in love. I read so many books that timelines become blurred, I may have read the book 5, 10, or 20 years ago. My apologies for the vagueness but that is all I have. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1254 comments A couple suggestions (from a Google search); both are set in Italian villages during WWII:

The Golden Hour by Margaret Wurtele

The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian

Neither sounds anything like "Bel Canto" but you never know...

message 3: by Aspiring (new)

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments Apart from the setting, it sounds a lot like Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. It has the elements of Italian soldiers not keen to fight, and the love story aspect, but is set on a tiny Greek island.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35176 comments Mod
Morgan, I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
Morgan, are you still looking for this or did you find it?