SimonOxfPhys Book Club discussion

Book club revival!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon Clark (simonoxfphys) | 13 comments Mod
Hello everyone! After a long hiatus it's time to bring the book club back to life.

The reason things went quiet last time was because I said that Dan and I would read Hawking's A Brief History of Time... and then he never finished it. So I didn't make a video, and the chain of content feeding the book club died. However based on the response to my latest book video - posted in the group - it's clear that there's still an appetite for this book club - whatever it may end up being - to continue. I really enjoy making book content, and cultivating an active community of readers (not of the Wikicast variety) is one of the most worthwhile things I think I can do with my platform. So let's raise this thing from the ashes like a glorious phoenix!

As well as doing my seasonal reading summary videos, I would like to resume the book club videos, maybe once every 1-2 months? I also don't like leaving things unfinished so I think to begin with we should pick up with A Brief History of Time and review that in a few weeks' time. I am however very open to suggestions for future reads!

So in summary: book club coming back, unless there's massive uproar we'll start with A Brief History of Time. Please do pelt me with questions in this thread, and let's get back to reading!

message 2: by Mosope (new)

Mosope (mosopeajegs) | 2 comments Ayy. It would be still an interesting video of you didn’t finish the book. Would be curious as to why and what you thought of it.

message 3: by Owais (last edited Aug 02, 2018 04:30AM) (new)

Owais Ahmad (thebook-edkingdom) | 1 comments Dude yours is the first and only group i joined last year and you ditched us not so motivating for a new bee like me ..NOT COOL..i just started The Silk Roads and its great!!!

message 4: by Hafsa (new)

Hafsa (nvmwhoiam) | 3 comments So glad you’re back! Keep up the good job! You rock!! (I think I have an abuse of exclamation marks!)

message 5: by Çağrı (new)

Çağrı Ansen | 2 comments This is the first (and son far the only) group I’ve participated in Goodreads. Will gladly re-read Hawking for a fifth time :)

message 6: by M (new)

M | 1 comments I will pay you in spoonfuls of gratitude if you do not, in fact, start with 'A Brief History of Time.' I am Dan in this situation, I'm assuming there are many of us who identify with Dan, please take pity on us (but I'll participate no matter what honestly).

message 7: by Alexander (new)

Alexander | 1 comments I've got the book but I fear that I might not understand a lot of it. I have no physics background but couldn't resist when I found it in a charity shop for 3 Pounds.

How long do you usually spend on a book in this group? I'll be going on holiday soon and will probably take an easier read for the beach.

message 8: by Simon (new)

Simon Clark (simonoxfphys) | 13 comments Mod
Maryam wrote: "I will pay you in spoonfuls of gratitude if you do not, in fact, start with 'A Brief History of Time.' I am Dan in this situation, I'm assuming there are many of us who identify with Dan, please ta..."

I think it will probably be 4-6 weeks, so plenty of time yet!

message 10: by Abdullah (new)

Abdullah Zafar (muskthrust) | 1 comments I wasn't here for the death of the book club but I sure am excited about the revival

message 11: by ZY (new)

ZY | 1 comments Glad it's back. I'd have to get started on reading that then.
Really enjoyed "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai myself, you could check it out - It's set in postwar Japan, and the writing is quite refreshing from the usual Western styles.

message 12: by Manal (new)

Manal Jaber | 3 comments I am done reading a Brief History of Time, and I had put down a review on it on my profile. Waiting for you all to finish it to know what did you think about it.

message 13: by Manal (new)

Manal Jaber | 3 comments I am done reading a Brief History of Time, and I had put down a review on it on my profile. Waiting for you all to finish it to know what did you think about it.